Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The wonder year: Why 1978 was the best year ever

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 11 Jul 2013, 21:57:01

PECULIAR fashion choices, an oil crisis and embarrassing hairstyles notwithstanding, the 1970s were the good old days. A new study of global wealth says prosperity peaked at the end of that decade. Economic policy-makers, take note: we have been heading downhill since 1978 (see "1978: in this year...").

Governments have tended to build economic policies around gross domestic product (GDP), the sum of all monetary transactions in an economy. GDP has risen fairly steadily – and often dramatically – since the second world war, implying the world has become more prosperous.

Critics point out, however, that GDP only tells part of the story (see graphs). Its measure of prosperity fails to account for social factors and environmental costs. Oil spills and crime, for example, increase GDP because money must be spent on clean-up and replacement of lost goods, yet few would claim that they increase the general well-being of a state.

To correct this, many economists have begun searching for more comprehensive measures of economic progress that reflect the overall state of a country. One that has been widely used is the Genuine Progress Indicator (GPI), which adjusts expenditure in 26 ways to account for social and environmental costs, such as pollution, crime and inequality, and for beneficial activities where no money changes hands, such as housework and volunteering.

Ida Kubiszewski and Robert Costanza at the Australian National University in Canberra and their colleagues gathered estimates of GPI for 17 countries – totalling more than half the world's population and GDP – and assembled them into the first-ever global picture of how GPI has changed over the years. They found that GPI per person peaked in 1978 and has been declining slowly but steadily ever since (Ecological Economics, doi.org/m53). This contrasts sharply with the steady increase in GDP per capita since then, and implies that social and environmental woes have outpaced the growth of monetary wealth.

"We're not making a social profit," says Costanza. In particular, growing inequality of incomes and environmental degradation are the biggest factors dragging GPI down.

The study confirms the hunch of many environmental economists that the costs of economic growth have outweighed its benefits for several decades. "A lot of people working in the field were pretty sure it happened, but didn't get detected in GDP," says Jacqueline McGlade of University College London, and former head of the European Environment Agency.

Not all economists agree that GPI is an accurate measure of overall welfare. Nicolas Kosoy, an ecological economist at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, argues that no single indicator can capture the complexity of the interplay between economics, environment and social development. There is also no unanimity that the world is worse off than it was. "If you start looking at the broader picture of things that contribute to quality of life, I think there's no doubt that the average person in developing countries is better off now than in the 1970s," says Marianne Fay, chief economist for the World Bank's Sustainable Development Network in Washington DC.

McGlade points out that over the past two decades, world poverty rates have fallen from 42 per cent in the mid 1990s to a projected value of 15 per cent for 2015, representing half a billion people lifted out of poverty. Other indicators also support this view. Life expectancy has risen an average of 12 years for women and 11 years for men worldwide in the past 40 years. And according to surveys that ask people to assess their well-being, life satisfaction continues to rise in a majority of countries, says Ed Diener, a happiness researcher at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, doi.org/m59).

newscientist
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The wonder year: Why 1978 was the best year ever

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 00:34:50

In 1978 China/was still communist and dirt poor and Russia still had its boot on the throat of Eastern Europe.

1978 wasn't "the best year ever for 1.5 billion people.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 01:01:38

Plantagenet wrote:In 1978 China/was still communist and dirt poor and Russia still had its boot on the throat of Eastern Europe.
Yeah, now Russia and China are free and democratic and the 1.5 billion have more stuff.

On average, anyways. I think the 1% got most of the stuff.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Narz » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 01:02:07

Can't be true. I was't born 'till '79. 8)
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Narz » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 01:05:55

Plantagenet wrote:In 1978 China/was still communist and dirt poor and Russia still had its boot on the throat of Eastern Europe.

Didn't quality of life in the former Soviet Union & most of Eastern Europe decline further right after the end of communist rule?
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 02:55:22

Narz wrote:

Didn't quality of life in the former Soviet Union & most of Eastern Europe decline further right after the end of communist rule?

Russia had big economic and political problems when it lost its captive markets, but eastern European countries, for the most part, set up western-style parliamentary democracies, sold off state-run industries, and pretty quickly emulated and then joined the EU. West Germany poured many billions into rebuilding East Germany, Finland helped Estonia, Italy helped Croatia, and the EU as a whole worked to help the former Soviet captive nations restart their economies and rejoin the modern world.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 03:42:06

Perhaps we can also consider oil production per capita:

http://earlywarn.blogspot.com/2011/09/p ... apita.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 08:03:54

That's pretty funny. Love Canal, PCBs, CFCs, Clean Air, Safe Drinking Water act all came around '78.

The '70's were the peak of the FF world maybe. But many things are better now than in '78 for that very reason. The article is right, it has nothing to do with money.

Until the '70's we mainly made "stuff" through brute force, cars were heavy, homes were less than "engineered", ag was the same as it had been for hundreds of years - just with more energy applied. Since then we've used machines to replace manual and mundane labor more aand more and that has caused problems and wealth inequality but there are fewer truely poor people now I think.

Really I see the 70's it as the beginning of transition away from FFs, more brains and less brawn, at least from my perspective in the US.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dorlomin » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:00:31

1978 close to marks the end of the "social democratic" consensus in the west as by 79\80 the neoliberal consensus was replacing it. Neo liberal was a revertion to a more liberal less interventionist governance that had dominated the prewar world. Whether this change was desirable or necessary largely depends whether you fall on the liberal left or liberal right in modern politics (Democrat\Republican in the US Labour\Tory in the UK).

Less focus on social cohesion and more on growth driven by markets. Less assumption that the state exists to help the individual and more assumption that the state hinders individuals growth.

And within those two simple paragraphs entire academic disciplines and opinions have sprung. :-D
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 20:25:26

1978, the year I was made redundant from my first job and started my second one, a time of change in the UK, or should I say the time just before there were major changes in the UK due to the North sea having just come on stream.

The labour party had given in too many times to the (then) powerful unions and the general population were becoming increasingly fed up with the whole situation and elected Margaret Thatcher the following year.

So 1978 was probably the best year ever for a senior union member in the UK.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 13 Jul 2013, 21:00:25

1978 was about the time I figured out that girls were not all bad like I thought they were when I was a small boy. :-D
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 13 Jul 2013, 22:21:24

I was 7 and in grade 2, in 1978.The teachers were teaching me about the importance of colletive agreements for our unionized society, and about the wonders of the space age. I was told that by the time I was middle-aged, they would have permanantly manned bases on the moon and colonies on Mars, space travel would become so common that anyone could do it.

Wow, did that stuff never happen! The importance of unions was also overstated.

At least I was learning to read and do math. (I miss Saturday morning cartoons and being a kid- yeah, 1978 was great!)
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tarrel » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 14:20:13

In 1978 I made my first visit to the USA, courtesy of the Laker Skytrain, clutching a well-thumbed copy of The Moneywise Guide To North America.

I still remember coming up out of the subway for the first time in Manhatten, feeling the warm, humid air, hearing the police sirens and seeing the towering skyscrapers. Coming from the IMF-indebted UK it was amazing to discover that this fantasy world, seen through a thousand American TV shows, actually existed!

Happy days.
See our blogs:
www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
www.sustainablescottishwoodland.blogspot.co.uk
Tarrel
Wood
Wood

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 14:57:44

you must be joking....in 1978..... 9 of the top 10 "hits" were disco tunes.
A year that will live in infamy. :cry:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 21:40:49

............Don't remember a thing , too drunk or too stoned
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 21:48:30

I was 12 and at the top of my game in elementary school (6th grade). It was the grade where I had been listening to the Eagles and KC and the Sunshine Band and then we played a friend's older brother's AC/DC album and we went crazy.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 11 Oct 2013, 23:59:35

rockdoc123 wrote:you must be joking....in 1978..... 9 of the top 10 "hits" were disco tunes.

But it was also the same year this came out!
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 12 Oct 2013, 06:27:00

OilFinder2 wrote:
rockdoc123 wrote:you must be joking....in 1978..... 9 of the top 10 "hits" were disco tunes.

But it was also the same year this came out!

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance