Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Hyperloop is coming:Musk will reveal plans for Hyperloop

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: The Hyperloop is coming:Musk will reveal plans for Hyper

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 26 Jun 2018, 18:48:39

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby lpetrich » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 03:44:21

As to rail lines for high-speed trains, they have been built in abundance in Eurasia, especially on its eastern and western ends. Though they are rather expensive to build, they seem to be very worth building, and the trains are not nearly as expensive to run.

As to the California system, I support it. IMO, it's about time that such a system was built -- and that similar systems are built in other urbanized areas. A high-speed line between New York City and Los Angeles would be folly, but NYC - Midwest and LA - Las Vegas would be reasonable.

I remember President Obama supporting high-speed-rail efforts early in his presidency, but Republican politicians rejected efforts in Wisconsin, Ohio, and Florida, and California got those states' money instead.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 16:09:52

Somethings going on

Emanuel meets with DOT head concerning the tunnel project. I think this is highly unusual. Especially since the DOT has no money in the project. My guess is it was a warning.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-musk ... SKBN1JO2CV
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 10:47:12

Here is a pretty good article with some cost comparisons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cityla ... le/562841/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 13:17:40

It sounds very much like they DID give him this, pending final negotiations.

As incredible as it seems. I find it unusual Emanuel would met personally with the DOT in DC. I suspect they were trying to tell him something. Short meeting, just an hour.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 15:50:28

Newfie wrote:It sounds very much like they DID give him this, pending final negotiations.

As incredible as it seems. I find it unusual Emanuel would met personally with the DOT in DC. I suspect they were trying to tell him something. Short meeting, just an hour.

A reminder that things like SAFETY STANDARDS would matter and require real world features, not just Musk assurances that nothing could go wrong, perhaps?

At least when the horrific NYC subway very frequently breaks down, for example, it doesn't get a bunch of people trapped, injured, or killed -- at least normally.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 16:41:02

Actually if Federal money is not being used then many federal requirements do NOT apply. Typically the State will reference safety standards through legislation or by code, but that stuff could be modified or waived. There is a possibility they are proceeding without safety standards.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 20:53:11

Pete,
Your post makes no sense. What are you going on about? Outcast was contrasting the NYC subway tavorably to a potentially unsafe system proposed for Chicago.

Please flesh out your thoughts.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 30 Jun 2018, 05:26:19

The funny thing is the NYC subways are actually very “old school.” Low technology. They are trying to modernize but it’s slow and expensive work.

You are correct that they wirk well, and they recovered from Sandy much, much faster than i anticipated. This is in part due to their old technology which is simple and robust. It works.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Jun 2018, 07:39:06

Newfie wrote:Actually if Federal money is not being used then many federal requirements do NOT apply. Typically the State will reference safety standards through legislation or by code, but that stuff could be modified or waived. There is a possibility they are proceeding without safety standards.

It's my understanding that osha safe working rules will apply regardless of federal or state funding. Osha protects workers regardless of who pays for the project.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 30 Jun 2018, 08:51:31

Correct, but not a myriad of other requirements such as those laid out in NFPA 130. They set requirements for fire safety, fire suppression, evacuation access, communications, ventilation, and much, much more. Most of it is common sense stuff, some a bit weird.

I worked on a “high speed” rail job funded by private money. When we brought up some rudimentary safety measures we were pointedly told “this is not a transit project, it’s a hospitality project.” Very, very glad to retire before being fired.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Jun 2018, 09:10:20

The L trains already run from O-Hare to downtown. The cost is $5 and the trip take around 45 minutes. I'm not exactly sure what problem the city of Chicago is trying to solve here.

https://www.transitchicago.com/airports/#ord
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion