Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Doing things while you still can

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Doing things while you still can

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 27 Jul 2013, 15:17:42

I've made a list of things I would like to experience while the lights are still on and there is still food in the grocery stores. While this list is incomplete and subject to change, I've already accomplished some of the things I wanted to do.

I wanted to take a family vacation through the Rockies and I did that last year. I have two brown thumbs when it comes to gardening, (including house plants), last year I grew a large unusual green thingy in my favorite flower pot. My teenage daughter kept telling me 'Dad it's just some kind of weed!', but I told her that I'm probably the only father in North America growing one of these plants in his living room. It was a hardy plant, surviving many challenges, and I was so proud of it that when I took my car road trip through the mountains last year, I planted the seeds from my living room plant at every point where we stopped- right up to the Pacific Ocean. I feel that things that persist against all odds, (including my gardening), deserve the right to survive and carry on.

I make a point of remembering that any time I do something, this could be the last time that I'm able to do it. What will come when society collapses, when there's no food or electricity? These things are unknowable. It’s important to do the things you want to do while you still have time.

One of the other things on my list to do was to finally get all 120 stars in the Mario 64 game that I bought in 1997. At one point I had it up to 112 stars when my, then 7 year old, deleted the file. At age 42 now, my hand eye coordination has fallen off, and I wanted to get all 120 stars while I still have unlimited power coming out of the wall sockets. I have to use a walk through guide book, but it’s still something I feel I need to accomplish to feel complete in life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3OsOfY&t=2

I'm too afraid of the American NDAA to travel to the US, so I'll never get to see Vegas or Disneyland. I doubt I'll ever get to see the great pyramids, or visit the Amazonian rain forest. I'd like to see the kids grow up, get married and have some grandkids before passing on; but even this is unknown and uncertain.

Sticking to small achievable, little miracles, is about the best I can do. Maybe they'll be some pleasant surprises on the road down, who knows?

Has anyone else here made a list of things they wish to accomplish before TSHTF? What are they?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Doing things while you still can

Unread postby basil_hayden » Tue 30 Jul 2013, 09:54:03

I don' think you should prioritize by "lights on/off" but by capabilities lost due to age over time, as the lights won't go off in our lifetimes.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Doing things while you still can

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:45:45

I've been a very naughty boy (without hurting anyone) & all the NDAA ask me is "what you smokin? Can I've a look?"Screw paranoia life is too short and there are plenty of real baddies.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion