Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Girl That Never Ages

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Girl That Never Ages

Unread postby Rune » Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:45:07

Saw this on Vortex
Gabby Williams, 8-Year-Old Girl, Never Ages; Genes Could Hold Key To 'Biological Immortality
“Gabrielle hasn’t changed since pretty much forever,” her mother, Mary Margret Williams, told ABC News. “She has gotten a little longer and we have jumped into putting her in size 3-6 month clothes instead of 0-3 months for the footies. Last time we weighed her she was up a pound to 11 pounds and she’s gotten a few more haircuts.”
“If we could identify the gene and then at young adulthood we could silence the expression of developmental inertia, find an off-switch, when you do that, there is perfect homeostasis and you are biologically immortal,” Walker told ABC News. This “biological immortality” would not keep a person alive forever, but it would counteract the normal effects of aging. “You wouldn’t have the later years—you’d remain physically and functionally able.”

To learn more about Gabby Williams, the 8-year-old girl that never ages, and Dr. Walker’s research, tune into TLC’s special “40-Year-Old Child: A New Case.” It airs on Monday, Aug. 19, at 10 p.m. EDT.

http://www.agelessanimals.org/
AgelessAnimals.org is a research effort started in 1995 by Director John C. Guerin. The project's focus is understanding how long-lived animals are so successful at retarding aging, and applying this knowledge to extend the healthy lifespan of humans. These animals include rockfish, turtles and whales, all documented to live 200 years or longer without showing signs of aging.

The project's research is now uncovering the mechanisms that allow continued vitality in these long-lived animals. With that knowledge it will help us understand why humans are healthy for many years, but then start having more and more age-related problems. Because of our aging population, the research will have enormous benefits for humanity, not only in greater health and enjoyment of later years, but in controlling the escalating costs of Social Security and medical care.

I don't care WHAT you say about over-population... F*** the aging process!
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The Girl That Never Ages

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 19 Aug 2013, 18:32:26

Since The Learning Channel is effectively the TV equivalent of the National Enquirer, as its stock in trade these days seems to be UFO and cryptozoology stories, I have doubts that this story has much merit beyond the superficial.

This becomes a story the moment they figure out a way to stop the effects of aging. Until then it's merely a lurid curiosity.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rune » Mon 19 Aug 2013, 22:24:40

Wow, another fuzznuts who always tags along behind me.

It doesn't matter what I post about.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dissident » Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:02:02

It's a ridiculous leap from this disease to longevity. The lifespan of this girl is not going to be hundreds of years as one would infer from her rate of development. She will in all likelihood live a shorter life and never grow up. This looks like a cell division defect and not a cell immortality defect.

For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_Greenberg

Her telomeres seem to be shortening at the normal rate.

Not too promising.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Beery1 » Tue 20 Aug 2013, 07:24:51

Rune wrote:It doesn't matter what I post about.

Maybe if you posted something serious I wouldn't feel compelled to comment.

As others have pointed out, growing up slower is not the same as aging slower. People with these kinds of genetic diseases often die sooner due to problems caused by the genetic abnormality.

In short, this is not a breakthrough in longevity science. It is merely a genetic curiosity.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion