Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What you are not being told about Obamacare.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

What you are not being told about Obamacare.

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 09:21:51

Affordable Care Act of 2010 Expands Medicaid Eligibility in 2014

The Affordable Care Act of 2010, signed by President Obama on March 23, 2010, creates a national Medicaid minimum eligibility level of 133% of the federal poverty level ($29,700 for a family of four in 2011) for nearly all Americans under age 65. This Medicaid eligibility expansion goes into effect on January 1, 2014 but states can choose to expand coverage with Federal support anytime before this date-see related Federal Policy Guidance and states that have expanded Medicaid prior to 2014. See Eligibility Provisions in the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.medicaid.gov

Estate Recovery: State Medicaid programs must recover from a Medicaid enrollee's estate the cost of certain benefits paid on behalf of the enrollee, including nursing facility services, home and community-based services, and related hospital and prescription drug services. State Medicaid programs may recover for other Medicaid benefits, except for Medicare cost-sharing benefits paid on behalf of Medicare Savings Program beneficiaries.

Affordable Care Act of 2010.

Estate recovery will be forced on millions of people who might have otherwise gone without insurance. Why? Because the plan is that millions more Americans have health insurance. That would be accomplished by expanding Medicaid and implementing premium assistance (subsidies). When a person is found to be eligible for Medicaid, they will be automatically enrolled into their state's Medicaid program. Those forced into Medicaid will, due to the federal law, also be forced into estate recovery. Their estates will be partly or fully taken over by the federal or state government when they die.

http://www.medicareforall.org

Here's 'Medicaid Estate Recovery'

http://www.aspe.hhs.gov

So, this means low income families (see above). Family of four with a total income =< $29,700 will lose their property upon death (estate owner) to the government to pay back monies owed. This is real people.
vision-master

Re: What your not being told about Obamacare.

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 09:39:32

Simple solution, don't go on medicaid, unless you really enter poverty, aka, needing *AID*. Medicaid was never meant to be a bulwark between health care costs and an inheritance; and Obamacare is absolutely *NOT* about free health care. Its an insurance company bailout and profit protection measure that guarantees this transition period, but in the most painful manner possible. Its designed to force the next step; a true NHS.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: What your not being told about Obamacare.

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 10:10:07

AgentR11 wrote:Simple solution, don't go on medicaid, unless you really enter poverty, aka, needing *AID*. Medicaid was never meant to be a bulwark between health care costs and an inheritance; and Obamacare is absolutely *NOT* about free health care. Its an insurance company bailout and profit protection measure that guarantees this transition period, but in the most painful manner possible. Its designed to force the next step; a true NHS.

Read the above post again, one will now automatically be placed on Medicaid with low-income.

Obamacare.
vision-master

Re: What you are not being told about Obamacare.

Unread postby Pops » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:19:51

Estate recovery has been around since medicaid. It's especially related to Nursing home care. http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-P ... ility.html

You're wrong, no one will be automatically enrolled in anything, that's actually the biggest potential problem with Romney/Heritage Foundation/Obama - Care, not enough healthy people will enroll to offset the sick people that have been excluded up to now.

Medicaid is a state-run program, in Mo for example, for adults with kids to get medicaid they must make no more than $90 per month. Without kids adults can't get medicaid.

Don't want medicaid or insurance? just pay your tax/penalty.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 13:17:07

Having gone through the nursing home thing with my Dad 3 years ago and now with my Mom, I think I understand things only slightly better. It was clear that many people try and game the system. We went to an elder care attorney to just learn what options were available. It was assumed that we wanted to put all assets in a trust, which after (I think) three years would allow my parents to claim medicaid benefits. Some VA benefits for low income veterans would have been available immediately after setting up the trust to shield the assets. We elected not to do that because (among other things) it seemed dishonest. But, it was very apparent that is what a lot of people do who have significant assets that they want to pass down (i.e. not spend it on their last few years of care). I'd like to have a system that does take care of people that have very little, but the system should not allow people to preserve their wealth for their offspring while they are taken care of at the expense of others.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:33:52

Pops wrote:Estate recovery has been around since medicaid. It's especially related to Nursing home care. http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-P ... ility.html

You're wrong, no one will be automatically enrolled in anything, that's actually the biggest potential problem with Romney/Heritage Foundation/Obama - Care, not enough healthy people will enroll to offset the sick people that have been excluded up to now.

Medicaid is a state-run program, in Mo for example, for adults with kids to get medicaid they must make no more than $90 per month. Without kids adults can't get medicaid.

Don't want medicaid or insurance? just pay your tax/penalty.

Correct, but the penalty will start getting expensive within two years from now.
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:36:50

dinopello wrote:Having gone through the nursing home thing with my Dad 3 years ago and now with my Mom, I think I understand things only slightly better. It was clear that many people try and game the system. We went to an elder care attorney to just learn what options were available. It was assumed that we wanted to put all assets in a trust, which after (I think) three years would allow my parents to claim medicaid benefits. Some VA benefits for low income veterans would have been available immediately after setting up the trust to shield the assets. We elected not to do that because (among other things) it seemed dishonest. But, it was very apparent that is what a lot of people do who have significant assets that they want to pass down (i.e. not spend it on their last few years of care). I'd like to have a system that does take care of people that have very little, but the system should not allow people to preserve their wealth for their offspring while they are taken care of at the expense of others.

My sister never went to a nursing home, her income was just so low she qualified for Medicaid. She passed away quickly at home in 2012. Within a Month's time my niece received a letter from the County, she owed them $70,000.
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:39:12

dinopello wrote:Having gone through the nursing home thing with my Dad 3 years ago and now with my Mom, I think I understand things only slightly better. It was clear that many people try and game the system. We went to an elder care attorney to just learn what options were available. It was assumed that we wanted to put all assets in a trust, which after (I think) three years would allow my parents to claim medicaid benefits. Some VA benefits for low income veterans would have been available immediately after setting up the trust to shield the assets. We elected not to do that because (among other things) it seemed dishonest. But, it was very apparent that is what a lot of people do who have significant assets that they want to pass down (i.e. not spend it on their last few years of care). I'd like to have a system that does take care of people that have very little, but the system should not allow people to preserve their wealth for their offspring while they are taken care of at the expense of others.

Yet, this is ok, right?

Generation-Skipping Trust

A type of legally binding trust agreement in which the contributed assets are passed down to the grantor's grandchildren, not the grantor's children. The generation to which the grantor's children belong skips the opportunity to receive the assets in order to avoid the estate taxes that would apply if the assets were transferred to them.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/gen ... gtrust.asp
vision-master

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 16:59:41

The whole Obama Care thing is just such a pet peeve.

http://healthcarereform.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004182

Anyway, the link above has the history of the personal mandate, which of course started with the Heritage foundation, but probably was started by some insurance industry executive.
As you can see by the dates of laws introducing it, it basically became the Republican alternative to Clinton's health care law. Democrats must have started accepting insurance company money, because later they started introducing it. So in 20 years it went from an idea that no Democrat would vote for to one that no Republican would vote for. In a way this shows everything that is wrong with politics in the USA.
kuidaskassikaeb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 17:27:22

VM... there is simply no excuse for someone with assets of note to be leaching off of medicaid. Collecting against the estate after death is the least disruptive form of expense recapture. Generally, its the home of the deceased, and maybe a car or two. They go on medicaid, keep house, die, bill is collected after death against the value of the house. How is that evil? Or do you think I should pay their medical bills so their kid can receive the house and sell it for $50k or whatever? That seems pretty unfair.

vision-master wrote:Yet, this is ok, right?

Anyone with an estate subject to estate tax has absolutely no business leaching off of medicaid. The base exemption is now $5 MILLION indexed to inflation going forward. You think someone with in excess of $5 MILLION in assets to pass to children should get medicaid?

So they aren't comparable situations. There are also taxes associated with generation-skipping. Considering how long we all live, it makes a lot of sense. If an 85 year old parent dies, the child is likely closing in on 60. Does a 60 year old have much use for the estates assets other than just to transfer them into the health care industry anyway? It makes more sense, at least in my book, to pass assets to the 35 year old grandkids, who would have actual life uses for the estate, and would be in a position to grow the estate as opposed to just spend it for drugs and enemas.

People write "grandchildren" and think, "12 y/o tike in junior high". Reality is the grand kid is the 35 y/o professional with house and family.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:49:33

vision-master wrote:

My sister never went to a nursing home, her income was just so low she qualified for Medicaid. She passed away quickly at home in 2012. Within a Month's time my niece received a letter from the County, she owed them $70,000.

DAMN YOU OBAMACARE! </STUPID>

Yep, a story of "estate recovery" that has nothing to do with Obamacare, which is I think the point you were making there.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:59:18

Many states have these "asset recovery" rules. Typically they will force the children to sell the house after their parent dies in a nursing home.

However, I believe this can be waived if one of the heirs has moved in with the parents. These are existing rules and have nothing to do with Obamacare.

Special circumstances: Three circumstances permit someone to transfer the home to a family member without either a Medicaid delayed-coverage penalty or a Medicaid lien on the property. A home may be transferred, without penalty or lien, to:

The person's adult child, if: (1) the child has lived in the house for at least two years prior to the parent moving into the nursing home; (2) during that time the child cared for the parent; and (3) that care allowed the parent to remain at home for that time instead of entering a nursing home.
The person's minor child, or blind or disabled child of any age.
The person's brother or sister who had an ownership interest in the property from before the five-year look-back period and has lived in the house for at least the previous year.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion