Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

U.S. is now the world’s biggest oil and gas producer

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

US surpasses Russia as world's top oil and ngas producer

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 17:29:47

US surpasses Russia as world's top oil and natural gas producer

The US was on pace to achieve global energy domination on Friday, overtaking Russia and Saudi Arabia as the world's top oil and natural gas producer.

New estimates released on Friday by the Energy Information Administration showed America pulling ahead of both countries in oil and natural gas production for 2013.

The rise to the top was fuelled by new drilling techniques, such as horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing, which have unlocked vast quantities of oil and gas from shale rock formations – especially in North Dakota and Texas.

America was on track to produce just under 25m barrels a day of oil, natural gas and related fuels, the EIA said. Russia was just under 22m barrels a day.

America had already surpassed Russia in natural gas production last year, pulling ahead for the first time since 1982.

But this was the first year the US was on pace to surpass Russia in production of both oil and natural gas.

Meanwhile, energy firms are stepping up production from North Dakota and Texas. Earlier reports from the EIA suggests the trend will continue. The EIA said earlier that US crude oil production rose to an average of 7.6m barrels a day in August, the highest monthly totals since 1989.

It forecast total oil production would average 7.5m barrels a day throughout the year, rising to 8.4m barrels a day in 2014.

theguardian
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: US surpasses Russia as world's top oil and ngas producer

Unread postby dissident » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 17:56:41

We'll see in the next few years how this BS pans out.

So the EIA is claiming that the US oil production in 2013 is 12.5 million barrels per day? Sorry, but this smells and badly like a lie. They are double counting the natural gas liquids. They add them to both the oil production and to the non-oil production.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 18:07:52

Graeme wrote:The US was on pace to achieve global energy domination on Friday, overtaking Russia and Saudi Arabia as the world's top oil and natural gas producer.

I suppose it's from shale? And that will only increase. And there's worldwide shale, too..

Don't throw tomatoes at me, not trying to be a cornie, just looking at the fact here that the US is #1 world oil producer in the world.

So I guess all you guys will say worldwide shale, huge reserves in Russia and China, won't work out. But you all said that about American shale too. Now US is #1. My gut says the worldwide shale will pan out too.. if it can be done here then it can be done in Russia and China and wherever else there's shale.

Now go ahead and say I'm wrong, and then explain to me how the US is #1 in oil?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Synapsid » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 19:22:06

6:

"Oil, natural gas and related fuels" does not equal "oil".

The US is not the number one producer of oil in the world. Look up the current production of Russia and of Saudi Arabia.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 20:00:17

Synapsid wrote:6:

"Oil, natural gas and related fuels" does not equal "oil".

The US is not the number one producer of oil in the world. Look up the current production of Russia and of Saudi Arabia.

Article says both oil and nat gas:

America had already surpassed Russia in natural gas production last year, pulling ahead for the first time since 1982.

But this was the first year the US was on pace to surpass Russia in production of both oil and natural gas.

*scratches head*
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 23:21:21

Someone got a link to the US oil import spend? Rockman put it up somewhere recently- it's still huge.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Synapsid » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 23:37:38

6:

"America was on track to produce just under 25m barrels a day of oil, natural gas and related fuels, the EIA said."

The EIA is saying that in the US, oil + natural gas + related fuels = just under 25 m barrels a day, compared to about 22m barrels a day for Russia. Russia produces more oil than the US does and the US produces more natural gas than Russia does; the US combined total is larger than Russia's, but the part of it that's oil is smaller for the US than for Russia.

It's worth recalling, as ROCKMAN (the voice in the wilderness) keeps reminding us, that the US has been the third largest producer of oil in the world for a long time, behind Russia and Saudi Arabia who swap first place from time to time. We've been first or second in NG for quite a while too. And we lead the world (We're number 1! We're number 1!) in the amount we pay to import oil.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 23:42:40

Like I've been saying all along, capitalism will find the means to extract the last unit of energy on this planet (and that includes all of global capitalism; from NY to Timbuktu). If it devised the means to mine the stars as well as colonise planet after planet of new consumers (endless accumulation), the system could throretically go on for ever. Not on this planet of course. The pollution cycle will eventually overwhelm the natural environment's carrying capacity as (built in obsolescence) malldom is extended out to the limits of the planet's potential consumer base.

To that extent, there is some basis to sixstrings growing smugness. However, I personally don't think that we will be able to sustainably fleet the solar system so for me, the clock continues to tick for this system...all within the time frame I suspect that this will play out over.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Synapsid » Fri 04 Oct 2013, 23:55:55

6, and for all:

It's also worth keeping in mind that the reason for the rising production of oil (crude + condensate) in the US is that the high price of oil makes it possible to go after the shales, which have long been known to have high potential but were not economic to develop when prices were lower. We'll keep drilling the shales as long as the price stays up there, just as we'll keep drilling the deep-water Gulf of Mexico.

In the old days increasing production could lead to lower prices, but now it's the high price that allows the production.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 00:02:46

Synapsid wrote:6, and for all:

It's also worth keeping in mind that the reason for the rising production of oil (crude + condensate) in the US is that the high price of oil makes it possible to go after the shales, which have long been known to have high potential but were not economic to develop when prices were lower. We'll keep drilling the shales as long as the price stays up there, just as we'll keep drilling the deep-water Gulf of Mexico.

In the old days increasing production could lead to lower prices, but now it's the high price that allows the production.

True up to a point. You will of course see things through nationalist glasses. However, American shale is a part of a bigger energy picture, an energy source that along with labour surplus ensures that the accumulation of value continues to grow apace. Each plateauing of accumulation will be accompanied by the opening of new fields. The development of this technology in America (ironically driven in part by the peak oil lobby) will be used in the global pursuit of accumulation, be sure of that.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Synapsid » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 00:43:56

americandream:

No argument there. The technologies have been around for decades, and the high prices for oil have contributed to their refinement and application on a grand scale. The US is unusual in ways that promote horizontal drilling and fracking being used to develop unconventional sources; two of them are: mineral rights not belonging only or largely to the national or provincial government, and the existence of a pervasive infrastructure for utilizing oil and natural gas. The first allows for small (not national-scale) exploration and production companies, which rockdoc reminds us are the successful ones in opening up places like the Eagle Ford and the Bakken. The second means that production can link with markets. I don't know if that combination can be found anywhere else, certainly not on the scale of the US. There's also access to funding available but I know little about the details.

That said, Schlumberger and Halliburton and Baker Hughes are ready and willing to apply the technologies wherever someone will pay. The world will indeed be their oyster, but I don't expect things will go as easily anywhere else as in the US.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 02:55:46

America tends at to be at the front end of most of the developemts that are going. A substantial percentage of the worlds capital sits in American vaults so the funding is there for development. In any event, the country tends to attract the worlds smartest and best.

However, the larger funds that capitalise much of the worlds business will be eagerly watching these developments...after all, they stretch out the day of reckoning granting capitalists time to find the holy grail of energy. I suspect space will be the new frontier for the next generation of entrepreneur even whilst the more exotic fuels are coming to market.

One has to give the bourgeoisie class credit for ingenuity.One cannot write them off lightly.

Synapsid wrote:americandream:

No argument there. The technologies have been around for decades, and the high prices for oil have contributed to their refinement and application on a grand scale. The US is unusual in ways that promote horizontal drilling and fracking being used to develop unconventional sources; two of them are: mineral rights not belonging only or largely to the national or provincial government, and the existence of a pervasive infrastructure for utilizing oil and natural gas. The first allows for small (not national-scale) exploration and production companies, which rockdoc reminds us are the successful ones in opening up places like the Eagle Ford and the Bakken. The second means that production can link with markets. I don't know if that combination can be found anywhere else, certainly not on the scale of the US. There's also access to funding available but I know little about the details.

That said, Schlumberger and Halliburton and Baker Hughes are ready and willing to apply the technologies wherever someone will pay. The world will indeed be their oyster, but I don't expect things will go as easily anywhere else as in the US.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 03:59:20

Synapsid wrote:The EIA is saying that in the US, oil + natural gas + related fuels = just under 25 m barrels a day, compared to about 22m barrels a day for Russia. Russia produces more oil than the US does and the US produces more natural gas than Russia does;

Okay I think I got it now, that the US is producing so much nat gas that we've surpassed Russia or any other nation in total energy production. So how much has US oil production, just oil, increased?

The headline is misleading.. "should be US surpasses Russia as world's top oil and ngas producer, combined."

Still.. this is a good thing, no?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby americandream » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 04:29:15

Sixstrings wrote:
Synapsid wrote:The EIA is saying that in the US, oil + natural gas + related fuels = just under 25 m barrels a day, compared to about 22m barrels a day for Russia. Russia produces more oil than the US does and the US produces more natural gas than Russia does;

Okay I think I got it now, that the US is producing so much nat gas that we've surpassed Russia or any other nation in total energy production. So how much has US oil production, just oil, increased?

The headline is misleading.. "should be US surpasses Russia as world's top oil and ngas producer, combined."

Good, bad or indifferent, this WAS going to happen.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 06:35:22

It is a great headline if you are an American oil co that wants to export oil product. 100% and more of the increase in US oil production has been exported as refined fuels. Or hadn't you noticed that being the worlds' top producer hasn't changed the numbers on your unleaded pump?

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 08:13:06

Dream- Good or bad? Each of us answers differently. The Rockman and his company have significantly increased our incomes as a result of the higher oil price...good for us. Russia and the KSA have significantly increased their revenue in the last 10 years due to the high oil price...good for them. The US consumer is paying 300% more for oil and increased our domestic production significantly in the last 10 years...good?... bad?

Now you and the rest of the US consumers share several titles: the largest energy producer on the planet. The largest oil/NG consumer on the planet, even adjusted for inflation paying more for oil then ever before and lastly spending many more times the amount for energy than any other country. US consumers are paying over $400 billion more for oil these days as a result of higher prices. Higher prices that helped increase US oil production.

So I'll let you answer your own question: better to be the #1 producer and paying hundreds of $billions more or being the #3 producer and paying hundreds of $billions less? It's one or the other...obviously can't have it both ways. IOW is paying $400 billion/year more worth the bragging rights?
Last edited by ROCKMAN on Sat 05 Oct 2013, 09:01:50, edited 1 time in total.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 08:24:54

Being the top resource holder is better than being the top resource producer.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 08:54:34

To the extent the increase has not benefited US consumers, not necessarily. Further, to the extent that like you, US consumers have been led to believe there is no looming problem in supply and even, amazingly, to disregard the continued high price of unleaded and diesel, I think yes, it is a problem.

I don't have an opinion on natural gas. It's hard to export gas number one, so the market in the US being isolated has caused prices to fall with the increase in production. But the increase in production was partly a result of a "land rush" with the "model" being buy leases and flip them to the next sucker at a higher price. Exactly like the Miami condos in 2005 - they are condos but are they condos worth a million? I think the the reserves are distorted in all sorts of ways, up and down as prices fluctuate and more and fewer companies sell leases acquired early in order to develop more promising property they already control. In fact in order to fulfil lease contracts, drillers are required to drill it or lose it, I don't know to what extent that has increased the glut of nat gas. Additionally the SEC has relaxed rules on what can be reported as reserves allowing companies to include not just "proven" reserves where wells have actually produced oil and gas but also probable reserves they "think" will.

I suppose it's from shale? And that will only increase. And there's worldwide shale, too.

There is no worldwide tight oil & gas boom for several reasons: A) in the US citizens own the mineral rights and most other places the government owns those rights, B) half the drilling rigs in the world are in the US and 80% of them are devoted to horizontal drilling now, and C) In the US there are hundreds of small "mom & pop" drilling outfits where overseas oil companies are mostly large NOC and Internationals. That last reason is a big deal it seems to me because a tight well is a universe all to itself – where the typical oil producing region sits over a "pool" of oil that is managed as one large resource - perfect for a large corporation or national oil company with virtually unlimited funds, a tight well only extends only as far as the fractures. It can be started and shut down in a matter of weeks whereas the giant oil fields are managed by periods of decades.

Also remember there are many shale deposits in the US that don't frack. The larges I think is the Monterey in CA. Fracking doesn't work there. There is a reason that most of the "tight" oil in the world comes from 14 counties in the US. Horizontal drilling and fracking has been around a while, and the places where tight oil can be found has been known longer. Even though fracked wells costs several times more than a conventional well and even though the well never produces as much as a conventional well initially and even though it declines precipitously from the first day, they are the best thing going because they're the only thing going.

None of that makes a very good headline though.

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 08:57:44

Radon - so better for the citizens of the top producer to transfer about $600 billion per year to oil producers then to be the citizens of the #2 producing country who are receiving over $300 billion by selling oil?

Yep...as someone getting a piece of that $600 billion it works for me. How about everyone else here...feeling pleased and proud over our new title? BTW...thanks for the pay raise. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 09:35:18

ROCKMAN wrote:Radon - so better for the citizens of the top producer to transfer about $600 billion per year to oil producers then to be the citizens of the #2 producing country who are receiving over $300 billion by selling oil?

Yep...as someone getting a piece of that $600 billion it works for me. How about everyone else here...feeling pleased and proud over our new title? BTW...thanks for the pay raise. LOL.

But that's more about being a top consumer.

A top resource holder has an advantage of being in control.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion