Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Russia-China Oil-Export Equation

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 28 Oct 2013, 16:34:51

Russia is planning to more than triple crude-oil exports to China over the next decade, but it doesn’t look set to increase production proportionally. How will it manage this?

The two countries have signed agreements that would increase the amount of oil flowing from Russia to China by around 700,000 barrels a day from 300,000 barrels a day currently, prompting oil watchers to ask where the additional supply will come from.

Most of the oil fields in Russia’s biggest production center, Western Siberia, which accounts for around two-thirds of its output, are more than three decades old and in decline.

“[W]e expect the declines in West Siberia to accelerate from here: as high as 3.5% per year on average from mature West Siberian fields,” Rob West, senior research associate at Sanford C Bernstein Ltd., said by email.

This is despite several years of efforts by Russian companies to maintain oil production at maturing fields by investing billions of dollars in technologies such as horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing.

What gains in production Russia has made over the past five years have been thanks to new production areas such as Rosneft’s large Vankor field in Eastern Siberia, a region that holds relatively limited and poorer-quality oil reservoirs compared with older finds to the west. And discoveries are getting smaller in the region.

“The sad reality is that Russia has no other large greenfields [new developments] which could continue to offset declines in the next decade,” HSBC analyst Ildar Khaziev said in a note last month.

And the prognosis isn’t promising. Mr. Khaziev noted that no new giant fields have been discovered in Russia since the 1980s, and unless there are such discoveries, “it will be very difficult to replace the declines in production.” The country’s crude-oil output will peak in 2018-2019, by his estimate.

wsj
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The Russia-China Oil-Export Equation

Unread postby shortonoil » Tue 29 Oct 2013, 16:18:04

Here is link to Lukoil's Siberian fields:

http://www.lukoil.com/materials/doc/Dat ... art_03.pdf

Look at the water cut in these fields; these fields are in serious decline!
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby westexas » Tue 29 Oct 2013, 17:28:11

Russian net oil exports have been flat to down since 2007. Recent Russian net oil exports (million barrels per day, total petroleum liquids + other liquids production, EIA):

2007: 7.2 mbpd
2008: 6.9
2009: 7.0
2010: 7.1
2011: 7.1
2012: 7.2
westexas
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 29 Oct 2013, 21:16:33

Who that is buying from Russia now will be cut off to increase exports to China?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 08:55:12

So true. Which is why a report a month ago predicting a surplus of refined products would cause lower prices was so ridiculous. The “logic” follows this patch: China is building out refining capacity to the point that we may have as much as 30% excess in the next 5 years. And with that excess that much more refined products will reach the market place. IOW we can expand refining capacity as much as we like because there will always be as much oil produced to keep those refineries running 100%. As childish as that assumption sounds it was the basis for the lower product pieces predicted. IOW “build it and they will come…with oil”.

They completely ignore the fact that many of those new Chinese refineries are JV’s with oil exporting countries. It’s a pretty good bet IMHO that when China and the KSA start up their new 600,000 BOPD refinery of the Red Sea that it will be fed with Saudi oil. So unless the KSA develops another 600,000 bopd from their fields then someone’s refinery is going to have that 600,000 bopd removed from their stream. Obviously the same goes for Russia: they’ll have a finite amount of production in the future and that which is tied up in long term contracts with China will come out of someone else’s stream.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:37:41

On the subject of water cuts , Ghawar is notorious for having a very large water column
for the Western Siberian fields ,hard to say if it's structural or due to flooding .
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:40:06

Sparky – Actually having a thick and mobile water column under an oil reservoir is advantageous. Oil recovery from such water drive reservoirs tend to be the highest. Eventually the water cut can get very high. OTOH in a pure pressure depletion drive the wells may never produce a bbl of water but the recovery factor might only be 25% of what a water drive could do. In essence it’s the water production that’s pulling the last bit of oil out of the reservoir late in its life. Had Ghawar been a pressure depletion
reservoir it might only be producing 10% of its current rate today…if it were even still producing. There are methods for increasing pressure in such reservoirs but they don’t tend to be very efficient. Water flooding is a common method for both types of drives but results vary greatly from OK to a complete waste of money.

So a production engineer might curse high water cuts but, OTOH, without them they wouldn’t still be producing most of those fields. Today, if one has an efficient water disposal system, a decent profit can be made with 97%+ water cut. The horizontal well I just drilled in a "depleted field" is producing 140 bopd (which I'm selling for about $9,600 net per day) and 100 bwpd which is costing $1.30/bbl to dispose of...about $130 per day. I am not unhappy with the high water cut. It appears most of the Siberian fields have efficient water drives. One nice aspect of a strong water drive reservoir late in its life: the water cut changes very slowly and is rather predictable. Makes it much easier to predict future recovery but one has to have details which aren’t typically made public. So one has to trust the Russian numbers. Or not.

From Heading Out at TOD: http://www.theoildrum.com/node/8886

Samotlor is thus ranked 7th in the world in terms of original oil reserves, and as a comment on the times, it still ranks 6th in the world in terms of daily production even while production has fallen to 750 kbd. Initial reserves stood at 27 billion barrels of oil, though this was not initially evident when the field was discovered in 1965. Water cut has increasingly taken its toll of the field, and now runs at around 90%.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Sat 02 Nov 2013, 05:46:07

Thanks Rockman , I've heard of CO2 injection , that seems to be pricey
unless there is some tax angle
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 11:49:23

CO2 can be cost effective. The cost is all a function of the source which has to be close to the field. Tax payer support can be a big factor. For instance they are building a CO2 pipeline from a power plant in Texas to a field in the trend I'm working. The cost $160 million. Great way to get rid of the CO2...kinda...see below. A great way to get CO2 to a field that has no other source of CO2.

The downside: the feds will pay $120 million of the $160 million. And while the CO2 will help recover the oil it will also be produced with the oil. And will be separated from the oil and may be vented to the atmosphere. But they haven't released that detail. They could collect the CO2 and re-inject it into the reservoir. But another big problem: the CO2 comes out of the oil at near atmospheric pressure. It would take about 2,000 psi of injection pressure to get it into the reservoir. Those compressors would require a lot horsepower and probably be fired by NG which would create more GHG. They could capture and inject that GHG but you can imagine the diminishing return of such efforts...this would require additional NG fired compressors.

Which is probably why no details have been released: I suspect the CO2 will be vented and not sequestered to any significant degree. Without the details most would assume it would be. IMHO it's likely just a give away to an oil company that will help boost profit margins. It would put more oil into the market place but at such a low rate the consumers would see zero pricing benefit IMHO.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 15:37:25

ROCKMAN wrote:For instance they are building a CO2 pipeline from a power plant in Texas to a field in the trend I'm working.
But another big problem: the CO2 comes out of the oil at near atmospheric pressure. It would take about 2,000 psi of injection pressure to get it into the reservoir.
Didn't it come out of the power plant at near atmospheric pressure? So they would be venting CO2 while piping in more?

8O
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 17:31:07

Keith - Not a power plant guy but I suspect the combustion gas are coming out at relatively low pressure. Maybe close to atmospheric. But the good news (I think) is the pipeline pressure may only need to be around 600 psi. And since they would be at the power plant hopefully compression there would be done with e- and not NG. Just my WAG but I suspect full cycle GHG analysis would indicate neutral at best and possibly a good negative at worst.

Here are some details: http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2012/0 ... -pump-oil/. Interest point I just learned: this is the second largest fossil fuel burning plant in the country...and it burns coal. The reports indicates the expectation that little of the CO2 will come back up with the oil. That may be a tad optimistic IMHO. OTOH fears that the reservoirs will eventually leak the CO2 back to the surface are greatly overblown. Those trapping seals have contained the equivalent pressures more millions of years obviously with no leakage since they trapped the oil/NG.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sat 22 Mar 2014, 09:29:58

Let's bring this back to RU/CN:

If it was the intent of the West to bring Russia and China together - one a natural resource (if "somewhat" corrupt) superpower and the other a fixed capital / labor output (if "somewhat" capital misallocating and credit bubbleicious) powerhouse - in the process marginalizing the dollar and encouraging Ruble and Renminbi bilateral trade, then things are surely "going according to plan."

For now there have been no major developments as a result of the shift in the geopolitical axis that has seen global US influence, away from the Group of 7 (most insolvent nations) of course, decline precipitously in the aftermath of the bungled Syrian intervention attempt and the bloodless Russian annexation of Crimea, but that will soon change. Because while the west is focused on day to day developments in Ukraine, and how to halt Russian expansion through appeasement (hardly a winning tactic as events in the 1930s demonstrated), Russia is once again thinking 3 steps ahead... and quite a few steps east.

While Europe is furiously scrambling to find alternative sources of energy should Gazprom pull the plug on natgas exports to Germany and Europe (the imminent surge in Ukraine gas prices by 40% is probably the best indication of what the outcome would be), Russia is preparing the announcement of the "Holy Grail" energy deal with none other than China, a move which would send geopolitical shockwaves around the world and bind the two nations in a commodity-backed axis. One which, as some especially on these pages, have suggested would lay the groundwork for a new joint, commodity-backed reserve currency that bypasses the dollar, something which Russia implied moments ago when its finance minister Siluanov said that Russia may refrain from foreign borrowing this year. Translated: bypass western purchases of Russian debt, funded by Chinese purchases of US Treasurys, and go straight to the source.

More at ZeroHedge

So, what's the impact here?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 22 Mar 2014, 11:38:37

Pops sounds to me like Putin is moving into his end game, knock the USA off our Chinese purchase of debt pedestal.

Try this

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03 ... al-crisis/

It rather puts a whole different light on what Putin has been up too for the last 5 years.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Sat 22 Mar 2014, 13:17:30

RU now exports 6mbd to EU and 3 to CH, the doomish view is Pootie-Poot wants to flip those numbers and trade with CH in something other than US$. I guess to pay us back for the soviet running themselves into the ground.

Not sure I get it all but obviously a big deal for the EU, especially gas.

Less demand for US$ makes $'s cheaper and
our exports cheaper to buyers
our imports pricier (hurting CH)
our interest rate would rise if CH quit our bonds
Or maybe it would fall - less demand for $

It's too big for my brain . . .

Export movements:
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Return to Peak Oil Discussion