Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dr. Wahls cured her own Multiple Sclerosis

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Dr. Wahls cured her own Multiple Sclerosis

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 13:07:23

http://youtu.be/jLPVsO8omy4

A 50 minute interview I stumbled across while researching diet programs for good health. Dr. Terry Wahls was diagnosed with MS in 2000 and declined in health rapidly until 2007 when she was restricted to a motorized wheelchair. In late 2007 she adopted a special form of the Paleo diet. She has recovered enough to transition from being in a motorized wheel chair to being able to ride a bicycle for five mile stretches without having to stop and rest as of 2012.

Very inspirational interview in a low key style, very conversational format. Well worth watching if you know anyone with this degenerative disease.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dr. Wahls cured her own Multiple Sclerosis

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 16:36:49

Hi Tanada- for those poor folk (like me) with restricted data could you summarize?

I did a bunch of research on MS years ago and have worked with/ for a few clients who have it. Since then I have a policy of having at least some regular intake of high quality cold pressed raw oils in my diet- I also make sure my children do also.

MS is a weird diagnosis in that the prognosis is usually indeterminate until the disease has significantly progressed. Some people diagnosed in their 20's are still kicking along fine in their 50's and beyond- while others are wheelchair bound in a couple of years and losing ability to talk and swallow in just a few years.

I think this is the first I have heard of a seriously progressed MS case reversing so dramatically. There will be a lot of interest in the MS community for sure. How long before the science is established- or is this one of those '1 in a million' type mystery healings?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 16:43:18

vision-master

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 17:14:58

SeaGypsy wrote:Hi Tanada- for those poor folk (like me) with restricted data could you summarize?

I did a bunch of research on MS years ago and have worked with/ for a few clients who have it. Since then I have a policy of having at least some regular intake of high quality cold pressed raw oils in my diet- I also make sure my children do also.

MS is a weird diagnosis in that the prognosis is usually indeterminate until the disease has significantly progressed. Some people diagnosed in their 20's are still kicking along fine in their 50's and beyond- while others are wheelchair bound in a couple of years and losing ability to talk and swallow in just a few years.

I think this is the first I have heard of a seriously progressed MS case reversing so dramatically. There will be a lot of interest in the MS community for sure. How long before the science is established- or is this one of those '1 in a million' type mystery healings?

Dietary advice from the video is lots of fish, some red meat and fowl, and lots of both leafy green vegetables like Kale/Spinach and sulfur rich vegetables like Onions/Cabbage/Broccoli . This is really the strictest form of the Paleo or Primal aka Hunter-Gather aka Caveman diet. No milk products and absolutely no starchy vegetables(potatoes,turnips), grains or legumes(beans and peas) and processed vegetable oils are forbidden(Corn, Cotton Seed, Canola, Soybean, Rapeseed). Eggs are alright seasonally as are fruits of all sorts in season, nuts and nut oils are favored especially Walnuts and Almonds. Olive oil and tropical oils (Palm, Palm Kernal, Coconut) are recommended. That is what I remember off the top of my head, she has written a book about her system called "Minding my Mitochondria" and she mentioned two other authors whose names escape me but they wrote about Primal diet and Paleo diet systems.

I have read several recent abstracts about studying the benefits of Ketogenic diets for neurological disorders but those were in context of stopping the progression of the disease. Dr. Wahls not only stopped progression she has made great strides in recovery towards a more normal health level. As I understand it (and I am not a dietician,) the diet described by Dr. Wahls is both Ketogenic and very high in trace nutrients from the vegetables and vitamins from the fatty animal meats. Ketogenic diets have been used to treat Epilepsy since the 1920's and are currently being tested on patients with Alzheimers, ALS and MS, plus psychiatric patients with Bi-polar disorder and clinical depression. None of those studies have published results yet, but hey if its all you have to work with why not try it?
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 17:43:52

Makes sense to me- especially the oils and greens stuff :)
'Dietitians'- from my study = 'food industry propagandists'. To my mind the dairy thing is a dead giveaway- it's been done for a long time in only a few places- never seemed 'natural' to me for an adult creature to be 'suckling' at the teat of another species- (as much as I like a dash of Mozzarella on my pizza or the occasional nibble of smoked cheddar!)
Here in Australia I get p'd with the dairy industry taking up much of the best agricultural land- much more productively used for fruit, nut and vegetable production. Getting side tracked a bit.... :)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Timo » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:04:11

SeaGypsy wrote:Makes sense to me- especially the oils and greens stuff :)
'Dietitians'- from my study = 'food industry propagandists'. To my mind the dairy thing is a dead giveaway- it's been done for a long time in only a few places- never seemed 'natural' to me for an adult creature to be 'suckling' at the teat of another species- (as much as I like a dash of Mozzarella on my pizza or the occasional nibble of smoked cheddar!)
Here in Australia I get p'd with the dairy industry taking up much of the best agricultural land- much more productively used for fruit, nut and vegetable production. Getting side tracked a bit.... :)

You're not alone with your frustrations, SG, and it's not only in OZ where land goes to such a wasted use as land for cattle. Most of the federal land in the mountain states here in the US is either logged for timber, or leased for grazing of cattle. Beef is a huge staple in American diets. That said, i'll only add that "modern" diets, in general, are the root cause of so many of our societal ills, healthwise. Junkfood occupies up to a 1/3rd of most grocery stores here, along with beer, and of course the OTC remedies to relieve the symptoms of our choices of dietary lifestyle.

Now regarding Dr. Wahls, you go girl! A lot of what she did would be most appropriate for discussion over in the self-medication thread. Or here. Oddly enough, as scientifically advanced as our world has become, there are still a few things that mother nature does better than anybody. Seeing her success, and its relative simplicity, makes me cringe at the mere thought of losing Stephen Hawking to his progressive disease.
Timo

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:06:24

vision-master wrote:Watch this..........

'WEED' Documentary Dr Sanjay Gupta HD

Go to Min 36

^ Used for Alzheimer's treatment - Israel. ^
vision-master

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:14:20

the MS Best Bet Diet is fairly well known. Interestingly enough it was formulated by a friend of mine Dr Ashton Embry (a PhD in geology not a medical doctor) but done after years of independent research he conducted due to the fact his son was incapacitated by MS (sounds weird but his story is worth reading about). Through the diet he was able to see a complete recovery in his sons' health and he decided to share that information through various blogs etc. Ash has had his own health challenges but his comments have been that doctors aren't really interested in finding out what root causes of health problems are, they prefer to treat symptoms. As a research scientist he was more interested in finding out the root cause.

Here are a couple of links to his views if you are interested:

http://www.direct-ms.org/bestbet.html
http://ms-and-diet.blogspot.ca/2007/03/best-bet-diet.html
http://www.msmusings.com/archive80/89/FYI,%20best%20bet.htm
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:27:44

Timo wrote:
Now regarding Dr. Wahls, you go girl! A lot of what she did would be most appropriate for discussion over in the self-medication thread. Or here. Oddly enough, as scientifically advanced as our world has become, there are still a few things that mother nature does better than anybody. Seeing her success, and its relative simplicity, makes me cringe at the mere thought of losing Stephen Hawking to his progressive disease.

I'm fine with the democracy here and this topic is worthy of it's own thread IMO :) There are several main Melial tissue disorders, some are very obviously genetic- Friedreich's ataxia for example, other like MS are still up for much debate. ALS (Hawkings)- is sometimes genetic in origin other times indeterminate in origin/ cause. Diet may well be a very crucial factor in outcomes regardless of cause.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:28:44

Ash has had his own health challenges but his comments have been that[url]doctors aren't really interested in finding out what root causes of health problems are[/url], they prefer to treat symptoms. As a research scientist he was more interested in finding out the root cause.

It's in our genes.
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:30:35

Diet may well be a very crucial factor in outcomes regardless of cause.

Yes, so I recommend a little hard liquor and some 'erb everyday. 8)
vision-master

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 22:19:46

You could raise a lot of cattle on all that grain growing land around the world, and the people eating it would be a lot healthier than the ones eating 1500 kcal of carbs a day, an amount Humans are not well adapted to utilize.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 09:45:45

Tanada wrote:You could raise a lot of cattle on all that grain growing land around the world, and the people eating it would be a lot healthier than the ones eating 1500 kcal of carbs a day, an amount Humans are not well adapted to utilize.

Evidence please?

Bread was the most important part of the ancient Egyptian diet. With no rice, maize or potatoes, all introduced into the country thousands of years later, the early Egyptians depended on wheat and barley to provide the carbohydrates they needed for a healthy, energetic lifestyle. Excavations around the Fayum revealed storage pits where the harvested grain was kept. Later, grain was stored in beehive-shaped silos, or special granaries with bunkers or bins for different types of corn. In the home, wheat and barley were kept in pottery or stone jars, safe from rats and mice. The remains of kitchens and household equipment show that the processes involved in turning grain into bread were time-consuming everyday activities in most homes.

https://ancientfoods.wordpress.com/2011 ... ypt-bread/
vision-master

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 19:52:51

In the Garden of Eden period humans lived to be hundreds of years old and still vital at those ages. After the fall into man and the curse of farming being placed on us lifespans rapidly fell to 1/10th of what they had been before. This is all recorded in Genesis for everyone to read nd understand.

I am happy for Dr. Wahls, she found her way to health by adopting a Garden of Eden diet plan.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:18:41

Subjectivist wrote:In the Garden of Eden period humans lived to be hundreds of years old and still vital at those ages. After the fall into man and the curse of farming being placed on us lifespans rapidly fell to 1/10th of what they had been before. This is all recorded in Genesis for everyone to read nd understand.

I am happy for Dr. Wahls, she found her way to health by adopting a Garden of Eden diet plan.

The fall of man was the Elohim kicked us out to fend for ourselves.
vision-master

Return to Medical Issues Forum