Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Attention Grammar Nazi's

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

What did you score on the Grammar Quiz?

Poll ended at Tue 13 May 2014, 12:13:50

0-10%
No votes
11-20%
No votes
21-30%
No votes
31-40%
No votes
41-50%
No votes
51-60%
No votes
61-70%
No votes
71-80%
No votes
81-85%
7%
86-90%
29%
91-95%
36%
96-100%
29%

Total votes : 14

Attention Grammar Nazi's

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:13:50

If English is thy first language or thou feel confident in thy second language skills take this 16 question grammar quiz and post thy results.

http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/pro ... ammarquiz/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Attention Grammar Nazi's

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:44:26

88%, better than I thought.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dsula » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:48:50

97% correct, and English is not my first language. That was too easy.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Synapsid » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 13:11:56

Nazis not Nazi's
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dorlomin » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 14:10:54

Synapsid wrote:Nazis not Nazi's
:-D
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Beery1 » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 14:21:04

Woo-hoo! 100%. Though I must admit a couple of the later ones were tough. I found out that although I might know the correct grammar, sometimes I get lazy.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 15:00:39

"Noble thou feelest thyself still, and noble others also feel thee still, though they bear thee a grudge and cast evil looks."
Thus Spake Zarathustra - Nietzsche (Thomas Common translation)
Last edited by Keith_McClary on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 15:32:55, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 15:01:44

88%, Didn't think you could use the same answer..... 8O
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 18:20:57

97%, OK ;)
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 19:57:01

94%

I don't know some of the rules but go by what sounds correct.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 20:19:41

“From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.”
― Winston Churchill
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 15 Nov 2013, 00:38:33

97%
I must be edumacated
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 15 Nov 2013, 08:57:09

97% - pretty surprising!
Like Dino, I have an idea what sounds right but memorizing grammar rules (not to mention math rules) is like trying to breath water; it makes my butt pucker like I'm crawling across a talus slope above a deep canyon or trying to climb a chalkboard.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 16 Nov 2013, 02:59:30

dinopello wrote:94%

I don't know some of the rules but go by what sounds correct.

Monkeys 'understand' rules underlying language musicality
Many of us have mixed feelings when remembering painful lessons in German or Latin grammar in school. Languages feature a large number of complex rules and patterns: using them correctly makes the difference between something which "sounds good", and something which does not. However, cognitive biologists at the University of Vienna have shown that sensitivity to very simple structural and melodic patterns does not require much learning, or even being human: South American squirrel monkeys can do it, too.
"Our ancestors may have already acquired this simple dependency-detection ability some 30 million years ago, and modern humans would thus share it with many other living primates. Mastering basic phonological patterns and syntactic rules is not an issue for squirrel monkeys: the bar for human uniqueness has to be raised"

I also got 94%. :oops: Whom would of thunk?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 16 Nov 2013, 17:11:58

94%. Who and whom always turned my brain inside out, and it seemed as relevant as inkwells to me while growing up. I had also always assumed that e.g. and i.e. were essentially the same thing, so I learned something. :)

Now, given the poll results thus far, I am going to assume there is a lot of selection bias going on for who takes the poll -- or a lot of people are VERY lazy when they write.

Reading the typical internet discussion thread, between spelling and just using the correct word (not a word with a vaguely similar sound and a COMPLETELY different meaning -- don't they correct anyone's English papers in K-12 anymore? Or do they even study formal English?) -- the typical person seems to belong a LOT lower in the scoring than the poll showed. And now it's showing up in a lot of supposed formal journalism in supposed "high quality" papers and magazines. The WSJ comes to mind, where the supposed "editors" can't use the proper words in a title, much less spell them. If a journalist doesn't need to be reasonably well versed in the language she writes in, who does?

It "feels" to me like the same issue as inability for cashiers to make change when the cash register breaks -- basic lack of meaningful K-12 education.

Then again, when over half of people don't believe in a solid science which has been refined for 150 years (i.e. evolution) -- perhaps I expect WAY too much from pre-college schooling.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 16 Nov 2013, 20:49:08

You know that statement reminds me of the anecdote from Sam Clemens aka Mark Twain, one day while working for a newspaper he witnessed a reporter being berated by the editor for using "its" when he should have used "it's". In the 1800's editors took their job very seriously anf felt bad grammar made their profession look bad in the eyes of the reading public. Somewhere around 1930 the news profession lost its desire to be accurate above all else and has been declining ever since.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 17 Nov 2013, 02:04:35

Outcast_Searcher wrote:... so I learned something. :)
When I read the explanations I realised that I did know the rules, but had forgotten.
Outcast_Searcher wrote:a lot of selection bias going on for who takes the poll ... -- don't they correct anyone's English papers in K-12 anymore? Or do they even study formal English?).
Perhaps only old fogies care to take the poll.
Outcast_Searcher wrote:The WSJ comes to mind, where the supposed "editors" can't use the proper words in a title, much less spell them. If a journalist doesn't need to be reasonably well versed in the language she writes in, who does?
A Forbes headline had "flare" for "flair", giving it a humorous meaning. I was enough of a Nazi to register for a login so I could comment on it. They actually fixed it.

Our pompous former mayor has a Ph.D. in education administration, but has trouble with "me", "myself" and "I". He liked to be called "His Worship". We referred to him as "Himself's Worship". He signed his name with Ph.D. in a letter to the Provincial Premier (a lawyer) in which he misused the terms "notwithstanding" and "as such". Whatever you may think of lawyers, they do, of necessity, know how to use the language.

There was a cartridge video game (Nintendo NES?) that would pop up messages in Gothic script like "Thou hath awakened the dragon".
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion