Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Helping in the Philippines?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Helping in the Philippines?

Unread postby Narz » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 00:35:39

My life is pretty much a waste. I'm trying to take care of myself, started swimming, trying to keep my mood up but I feel like my life is rather trival right now, I live in NYC, just another cog in the machine, twisted & turned & eating & sh1ting but not really adding much to the mix.

I've never really done any humanitarian work, I tried to work for the PeaceCorp way back when I was 20 but they said I needed a college degree.

My mom always tells me "wherever you go there you are" as she waits for me to become "normal" but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I'm not really seeking fulfillment in a new location as in a new lifestyle. Commited to actually bettering the world. When I was younger I considered becoming a solider. I liked the idea of solidarity & self-discipline & being more than just a civilian slob but I didn't like the idea of having no choice in my missions & having to kill people who I had nothing against.

I lived in an Intention community but it didn't do much for me, not really interested in treading water or living in a little oasis outside the mainstream. I want to be a warrior for something worthwhile, actually make a difference in people's lives, make real connections rather than trying to find some unstable girl or some unstable job or some other lost souls for friends who hang out with me for lack of anything better to do.

Sounds corny but so be it. Anyone know any organizations that I should look into/consider being a part of? Ideally people doing some sort of sustainable redevelopment rather than just deliverying jugs of water & food (though that'd probably do me some good too).

Thanks!
Last edited by Narz on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 00:42:16, edited 1 time in total.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Helping in the Philippines?

Unread postby Narz » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 00:39:30

It doesn't have to be the Phillipines, I'd go almost anywhere though I don't want to risk Malaria or being kidnapped.
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Narz » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 01:33:15

I generally have an aversion to the religious (though often they are nice people), I'd prefer to help via a secular organization if possible.
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 02:36:23

Narz,

I wouldn't discount the church as a conduit to get you over there and provide help. You will find most filipino catholics privately religious and devout but rarely questioning or doubting or debating their religion or belief system with others. It's very different than most religious people in the US. Consider it. It will broaden your perspective.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 03:34:38

Look for various groups at www.resilience.org and www.transitionnetwork.org
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 04:17:46

Filipinos are primarily animist, nominally Catholic, Baptist or Muslim.Hence- real life Crucifixions, little bags of Garlic pinned to babies clothing, Bruja- good and evil witch doctors and soothsayers, a broad knowledge of folk medicine, average food miles which would put most intentional communities in the west to shame.

If you aren't preaching to people, waving fistfulls of money around or messing with underage kids, abusing women or trying to run a business which in any way competes with a local- the PI is one of the safest and friendliest countries to visit. About 90-120 thousand Americans call the Philippines home depending on the season, of about 200 thousand expats. Very few get in real trouble, virtually all that do have broken one or more of the rules I just listed.

The need is everywhere.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion