Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Shooting isn't fun anymore

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Shooting isn't fun anymore

Unread postby Ayoob » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 05:22:49

It got too expensive, and the money started to bother me. When 9mm range ammo was $99 at the gun show, I would load up a couple thousand rounds and take it home. .45ACP was like $230 per thousand, and at the time I was thinking to myself, no way. That's too much money. Today, the price of 9mm range ammo has finally come back down to $247 before shipping per thousand IF you get an order filled at that price. Midway has reloads for about $240 in stock right now, that was weird. Most places with prices like that are all backorders that wind up getting cancelled a couple months later. To walk in and buy 1000 rounds off the shelf is going to be $5-600 or more. I haven't been to a gun show for a while, maybe there's a deal to be had (except probably not).

So I went and got a black powder revolver and a kit, and everything I need to shoot it. It ain't cheap at all and it costs about the same to run it as my Glock. The difference is I have to slow way down reloading so I'm not thinking as much that it costs $8 to load a 33-round mag, and it would be gone in no more than three minutes. I can easily go through two 33-round mags between target changes, three target changes an hour, $47 an hour to entertain myself and keep sharp. When it was $15 an hour to entertain myself, it didn't bother me so much. The black powder gun would be one six-round cylinder per target change since I can't load it when the range is cold, only when it's hot. Then it's $8.64 to shoot for an hour and that's fun again. Kind of. Except I'm pretty useless for most of that time. I just wanted it to be fun again, and when the rent is too damn high I can't relax. The gun I can afford to shoot is kind of not so much fun.

Then I thought well, why not take up archery? There's a club by me, they charge $15 for the whole day and provide all the equipment, I don't have another pricey toy laying around the house... yeah. So that's next.

I wonder what it's going to be like for everybody when it's too damn expensive to drive out to wherever they want to go to entertain themselves. All of a sudden, all those remote locations... man. It's gonna be just too much money to get out there. I bet the traffic between Chicago and Wisconsin will die down on Friday nights. The roads will open up, but who cares? Still too damn expensive to go to Door County for the weekend. When it used to cost $200 to make the drive for a weekend on the lake, but it's $800 now, there are just other things to do with $800 than sit on my butt by the lake for a weekend. Maybe we're at the $400 mark now and it'll be a while before the economic pain jumps to that level.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Re: Shooting isn't fun anymore

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 07:42:32

Ayoob wrote:It got too expensive, and the money started to bother me. ......
I wonder what it's going to be like for everybody when it's too damn expensive to drive out to wherever they want to go to entertain themselves. All of a sudden, all those remote locations... man. It's gonna be just too much money to get out there. I bet the traffic between Chicago and Wisconsin will die down on Friday nights. The roads will open up, but who cares? Still too damn expensive to go to Door County for the weekend. When it used to cost $200 to make the drive for a weekend on the lake, but it's $800 now, there are just other things to do with $800 than sit on my butt by the lake for a weekend. Maybe we're at the $400 mark now and it'll be a while before the economic pain jumps to that level.

:roll: But there is very low inflation!! Just ask the government :roll:
I like how they say the "Core inflation" is low after excluding food fuel and rent. Most of us have precious little left after paying for the food, fuel and rent.
I expect that people will stay home weekends and work on their hiomes or in their gardens. You might spend some weekends or evenings at a reloading bench not to save money as much as to spread out your shooting time and not burn through so much ammo.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 08:41:55

Archery is a totally different experience. It is, I think closer to 22cal competition at 50'. Pay attention to the body, breath, concentrate, relax, release.

Meditative and restoring.

I like it and do far, far to little.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 11:26:51

+1

Newfie wrote:Archery is a totally different experience. It is, I think closer to 22cal competition at 50'. Pay attention to the body, breath, concentrate, relax, release.

Meditative and restoring.

I like it and do far, far to little.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 17:39:46

I'm selling all my guns except two 22's.
vision-master

Unread postby John_A » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 19:02:12

Ayoob wrote:I wonder what it's going to be like for everybody when it's too damn expensive to drive out to wherever they want to go to entertain themselves.

Who says it will? Just because ammo prices boomed because of mental health patients allowed to have guns doesn't mean same prices will stay high forever any more than oil did 5 years ago. Plus, while it seems reasonable that we all need ammo, personal transport without wasting crude oil is cheaper and makes more sense.

Ayoob wrote: All of a sudden, all those remote locations... man. It's gonna be just too much money to get out there. I bet the traffic between Chicago and Wisconsin will die down on Friday nights. The roads will open up, but who cares? Still too damn expensive to go to Door County for the weekend. When it used to cost $200 to make the drive for a weekend on the lake, but it's $800 now, there are just other things to do with $800 than sit on my butt by the lake for a weekend. Maybe we're at the $400 mark now and it'll be a while before the economic pain jumps to that level.

If I take an SUV across the country, it costs, $700. I drive the econobox, it costs $250. So I don't take the SUV....BIG DEAL. I still drive across the country because road trips are great. Staycations were once popular, and until people can get their personal transport situations stabilized against the new fuel prices, might continue to be. But when you can get 50mpg out of a VW diesel sedan the size of a Passat.....BRING ON $7/GAL DIESEL...why not? HOTEL prices will go down because of all the schmucks that aren't peak oil aware and dashed out to buy some 21mpg monster truck when they should have known better.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby John_A » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 19:04:12

vision-master wrote:I'm selling all my guns except two 22's.

300 rounds of CCI Mini-mags at the local Cabela's last week, not a bad price either. 45ACP is all over the place, but I've got 2 cases of the stuff already socked away from the "pre mental patient short circuit" days.

45 ACP: Because a 9mm MIGHT expand, but a 45 will NEVER shrink
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 19:57:22

pstarr wrote::shock: shorty's gone doomer, stashing rounds. Must be time for the rest to head for the hills. yikes!

So,,,,,,, shorty is a closet peak oiler. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 21:52:06

Maybe get a game box and GTA and get some virtual shooting in without wasting too much money, save the real bullets for the real zombies or food or both.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion