Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

bizarre one-off event

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

bizarre one-off event

Unread postby JV153 » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 04:50:52

Right, I bizarre experience I had that I'll describe.

I had drawn a picture of a cross on a piece of paper.

In a lecture room containing about 30 computers and no-one else present, I had rapidly raised (or flipped outwards) this cross and a number of computer monitors turned on displaying the windows logo. Not all the computer monitors turned on, maybe 17 or so. The other computers were in complete shut-down (power switch off on case and monitor power off). The events were, to my senses, simultaneous. In addition, the monitors turned on simultaneously, within the range of my senses. The computers were usually in stand-by mode when nobody was using them. I attempted to repeat this sequence, there was no causality - where I was testing for cause (cross on paper in motion) and effect (computer monitors turning on). There was one motion sensor in the room.

I have no explanation of this bizarre event.

I think this was in 2007, if I recall.

Comments ?
JV153

Re: bizarre one-off event

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 08:08:54

It's a power surge or brown-out. There's nothing supernatural about it. You are too caught up in religious thinking.

The one amazing thing in experiences like these is the number of people who can be so incredibly superstitious. When people post stuff like this it should be a warning to all of us that the days of witch burnings are not far enough behind us. Some of us are more aptly described as Homo Superstitio than Homo Sapiens (Wise Man).
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JV153 » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:50:11

Well, Beery1 I'm not religious at all, in fact it was only after the event that I started reading the bible, carefully, with awareness of the multiple meanings of words. There are some good sayings in there, some of which are extremely double edged or ambiguous, when you carefully read it many passages can be interpreted many ways.

As to concrete sayings, you might like Ecclesiastes 9:11 .. of course you know the bible was influenced by Greek philosophy ?

Oh, and until this I never thought much happens to me.
JV153

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 13:44:35

My parents' house had a city view. I once flicked a light switch and all the lights in the city went out.
Pretty sure it was a coincidence. :)

If the computers were set to wake-on-mouse, that could have been set off by a bump (I mean dropping something, not electrical) from somewhere in the building. What were you trying to do, exorcise viruses and bugs?
Last edited by Keith_McClary on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 14:11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lper100km » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 14:09:53

[quote="JV153]
....... I had rapidly raised (or flipped outwards) this cross and a number of computer monitors turned on displaying the windows logo.

I have no explanation of this bizarre event.

All hail Microsoft!!
Had it been a cross that appeared on screen instead, now that would have been something else.
lper100km
Lignite
Lignite

Location: Over the tracks, left under the overpass, right, third boxcar on the left, ask for Jack

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 17:25:56

I have lost count how many single street lights have winked out as I walk under them- but can't recall one when I was driving or in company. It's been in the dozens. Weird feeling when it happens.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 17:40:56

JV153 wrote:...many passages can be interpreted many ways...

Which proves it's about as infallible and god-inspired as any other book. The fact that so many put their faith in it is an embarrassment to the species.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Mon 25 Nov 2013, 18:16:49

A place I worked had an air conditioner that used to reboot computers when the motor turned on.

I'm with Berry "dirty power" it does funny things.
kuidaskassikaeb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 03:49:19

Was once listening to Radio Caroline in the car and the record jumped as I hit a pothole! :P
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:47:04

What people dismiss as a coincidence is God's way of showing you the world is far more interesting than mere logic proclaims it to be. It is just one of the mysterious ways God works, seek and you will find much much more than you ever thought possible.

I think Seagypsy knows what I mean, even though we do not share the same faith we both know the man made construct of logic can't explain everything we are subject too in this existance.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 12:29:06

Reminds me of part of an old Travis McGee novel.
Travis and his friend are out fishing, when his friend points his finger at a seabird flying by. The bird immediately dives into the water. He turns around, looking at his finger in an inquisitive way, and Travis says, "Don't point that thing at me!"
The world is full of coincidences.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 12:52:46

Carl Jung talked about synchronicity. It works like this: too many coincidences occur at once for it to be logical that the moment came about randomly. It's like when you are having a thought and the word or subject you are thinking about suddenly comes up on the radio, and there is a billboard you happen to notice just then, which has that same word on it, and maybe something else is going on - like somebody in the car next to you is doing what you were thinking about or it can be inferred from the activity of others nearby. These kinds of things defy the reproducibility of scientific experiment. I tend to think that what they mean is that you are in the right place at the right time, not that there is a hidden message in it for you. Oh, there may be a message, but our attempt to extract it runs the risk of injecting our egos into the interpretation. Since the ego, with only rare exception, is bound to skew whatever the message may be it is almost always best to simply see it as a life affirming moment.

The Bible is the word of God, when the Spirit makes it so. Otherwise, it is basically a set of rules and stories. Like how you can't take any random love letter in any relationship and apply it to fit a challenging circumstance that relationship is facing. It might work, and it might not. Better to know the one who wrote the letter, yes, but also better to wait upon them as well. If this were not so then how could anyone have a personal relationship with God?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 13:21:16

SeaGypsy wrote:I have lost count how many single street lights have winked out as I walk under them- but can't recall one when I was driving or in company. It's been in the dozens. Weird feeling when it happens.
I've noticed defective lamps that cycle on and off.

Some streetlamps have individual sensors to turn them on at dusk. Maybe they sensed your brilliance.

(And,BTW, computers may Wake-on-LAN if sent a "magic packet".)
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Gordianus » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 18:08:00

evilgenius wrote:The Bible is the word of God, when the Spirit makes it so. Otherwise, it is basically a set of rules and stories.

So ... the god that created the universe and everything in it is somehow incapable of writing a clear statement to the sentient beings in his creation of what he expects of them? Or he chooses not to, just to confuse them and encourage them to fight each other over it? Or his statement means whatever he wants it to mean, depending on circumstances?

Such a god will inevitably cause more harm than good and is best avoided.
Gordianus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby JV153 » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:16:49

lper100km wrote:[quote="JV153][quote]
....... I had rapidly raised (or flipped outwards) this cross and a number of computer monitors turned on displaying the windows logo.

I have no explanation of this bizarre event.[/quote]

All hail Microsoft!!
Had it been a cross that appeared on screen instead, now that would have been something else.[/quote]

They all displayed the windows xp professional logo.
JV153

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 20:27:33

Wake on LAN is a technology that allows a network professional to remotely power on a computer or to wake it up from sleep mode. By remotely triggering the computer to wake up and perform scheduled maintenance tasks ... network professionals save time and money on automated tasks such as software installation and upgrades, backups, and virus scans by scheduling these tasks during hours when network activity is at a minimum.
Was this during off hours?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 21:01:47

Around here every monsoon we get loads of Psilocybin mushrooms. I swear the cows know when people are picking them. They often just stop grazing and stand and stare. Why? We are stealing their Manna?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby JV153 » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 02:19:18

Seagypsy,

I recall my grade 12 mathematics teacher used to call us maroons and mushrooms, can't imagine why ;-).
JV153

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 03:21:53

I remember being a bit tired and emotional at about 3 in the morning walking along a track
I hit a plastic bag with a stick and it sparked a big neon glow
Inside were about 4 dead kittens
I thought I had a spiritual moment
until I learned about
phosphorescence produced by decomposition.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 03 Feb 2014, 14:30:16

Boulder smashes through Italian farm
Not "one-off":
The boulder came to rest near a rock that had been dislodged many years previously
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion