Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

10 best Peak Oil Charts

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

10 best Peak Oil Charts

Unread postby Pops » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 09:12:49

here are a couple to start, post your favs

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: 10 best Peak Oil Charts

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 10:16:28

I really like the first chart, it strikes my mind as very visible evidence that only the growth of Tight Oil in the USA is making much of an impact anywhere.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Timo » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:34:45

For some reason, however, i fear that the US is not the only locale where tight oil can/will be found. I've heard rumblings about fracking Patagonia. The same will probably be said for nearly every scrap of land across the planet. Desperate times.................
Timo

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:54:48

Timo wrote:For some reason, however, i fear that the US is not the only locale where tight oil can/will be found. I've heard rumblings about fracking Patagonia. The same will probably be said for nearly every scrap of land across the planet. Desperate times.................

I thought most countries lack the infrastructure to tap tight oil deposits because they didn't invest in all the preliminary needs when oil was cheap. Now that oil is expensive they can't divert the money needed to build the infrastructure, while in the USA that infrastructure is a sunk cost.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby BobInget » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 12:20:11

The technology to tap tight oil is proliferating. Shale oil however is not. One of the first places outside the US where prospectors went looking was Poland. Like Rumania, Poland once was Europe's the most happening place for coal and oil. Many millions were spent only a few years ago prospecting tight oil. Many millions came up empty.

There are more or less proven prospects around the world;
in order: Asia, USA, Russia, South America, Africa and Middle East.
http://www.sbc.slb.com/Our_Ideas/Energy ... lobal.aspx
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby John_A » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 12:48:46

Timo wrote:For some reason, however, i fear that the US is not the only locale where tight oil can/will be found. I've heard rumblings about fracking Patagonia. The same will probably be said for nearly every scrap of land across the planet. Desperate times.................

and Argentina and Mexico and Australia and Russia...yes....the fracking country list is growing....
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 14:40:32

Charts folks...

post up a chart of how much fracking is happening in Patagonia, or a chart showing how many rigs are drilling in TX & ND vs the rest of the world or whatever but post a chart.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 15:04:27

FT: Oil industry sums do not add up
(Today's PO homepage)

All of which means the 2013 WEO has the oil industry’s upstream capex rising by nearly 180 per cent since 2000, but the global oil supply (adjusted for energy content) by only 14 per cent. The most straightforward interpretation of this data is that the economics of oil have become completely dislocated from historic norms since 2000 (and especially since 2005), with the industry investing at exponentially higher rates for increasingly small incremental yields of energy.

A chart showing this would be good.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 16:09:52

I like this graph very much - since it shows the problem with unconventional oil resources depletion.

Another graph i like is this one - always reminding one that we are dealing with blatant manipulators that do not even care how obvious it is.

And lastly this one for showing to absolutely clear trend in discoveries held up against consumption:

"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 26 Nov 2013, 17:19:19

The only chart that really matters would be this one:

....and it's a heart-breaker.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion