Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

4 Key Lessons From 2013

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

4 Key Lessons From 2013

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 27 Dec 2013, 18:29:59

4 Key Lessons From 2013

Overall, 2013 was a good year for cleantech, and I expect every year following this one will also be good for it. The fact of the matter is: cleantech is increasingly just… tech (aka normal tech). There’s a lot of growing to be done, but it’s inevitable. The real question is, will it be enough to avert the greatest global catastrophes human society has seen?

What were the four key lessons from 2013? Here’s my take.

1. Electric cars are now the best damn option you have for a car.

2. Solar panels are the best damn option you have for your electricity.

3. Fossil fuel industries and utility monopolies are going to use every tactic possible to keep their profits rising sky high.

4. Society is totally f***ing screwed if we stay on the path we’re on today… or anything even close to it.

cleantechnica
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: 4 Key Lessons From 2013

Unread postby Paulo1 » Fri 27 Dec 2013, 22:01:55

re: 2013 key lessons

1. Electric cars are now the best damn option you have for a car.

Not for our family. We need to be able to drive to town 50 miles each way, every couple of weeks. Because we seldom drive, it makes no sense to buy any kind of new car. Because of the range issue, electric does not work. Current vehicles used...2009 Yaris, excellent mileage...paid cash for new in 2010 with various incentives lowering costs by $4,000.00. Other vehicle a 1986 Toyota 4X4 PU...needed for wood and property use...used once every week or so for local jobs.

2. Solar panels are the best damn option you have for your electricity.

Sorry again...too cloudy and rainy here at 50 deg N (+) We use BC Hydro, dam generated power at .07 per kw/hr. Solar would be an expensive hassle.

3. Fossil fuel industries and utility monopolies are going to use every tactic possible to keep their profits rising sky high.

Our utilites controlled by Govt oversight for rate increases and major capex.

4. Society is totally f***ing screwed if we stay on the path we’re on today… or anything even close to it.

There are problems, to be sure, and these have to be addressed. Perhaps the economy will collapse first plunging us into a way of life much simpler and more focused.

Generalities are dodgy at best and situational specific. 1:4 is my take on your statement.

Regards...Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 27 Dec 2013, 22:39:54

You don't understand. Humanity is now in a life and death struggle with the fossil fuel industry. It's them or us. Which do you choose?
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Paulo1 » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 11:38:06

Hi Graeme,

I do understand and I agree with your 4 point list direction, to be honest. I believe that this will unfold on its own, and that exhortations will not persuade people to change until they reach their own epihany moment. Their conclusions may or may not jive with many of us on PO.com. A very interesting post would be to ask forum members what was their peak moment, (epiphany/realization, if you will)?

I have a brother who is often a radical environmentalist, quick to protest and be angry, often very dismissive of other people's way of life. In fact, it can be quite irritating. He and his wife are extreme birdwatchers which is a past-time well in synch with their environmental values; except they would often fly around the world to all manner of places to indulge their passion. They would stay in eco-resorts. One day, when they were smugly talking about their Prius, I mentioned that jet travel made a mockery of what they proclaimed of value...and left it at that. They still did a few more trips, but this year it stopped and I actually heard them remark that continued jet travel was bad for the planet. I think it finally came about when I mentioned that my wife and I were not planning on traveling in our retirement, that we were trying to focus on the wonders of things where we live and in our new found spare time spending more time growing our own food and enjoying doing so. Soon after that they stopped the airline bookings. It may or may not be linked to our discussions, but it may have been.

The oil industry is far from a faceless evil entity trying to keep us hooked. It is us, the consumers, and the people I have known over my lifetime who have worked in the industry and continue to do so. These are some of the finest people I have known, including my son who heads back north on New Years day. Their values are as strong and worthwhile as anyone's, and it won't change with calling the industry evil and listing site by site examples of what is wrong or damaging. Until we reduce our consumption and change how we live, the industry will continue in full force. The electric or hybrid car still requires a huge amount of FF for its construction and development...and to continue driving around in our contraptions thinking we are doing right and 'living the good life-fighting the good fight' is an indulgence. I submit, that my continued recycling of my 27 year old 4 cyl pickup, and using it very little, is a better environmental decision than scrapping it and buying a new computerized hybrid, working another year (commuting) to pay for it, and continue to live the old wasteful lifestyle often referred to as BAU lite. Something doesn't fit with a 30-40,000 dollar computerized hybrid pickup used to haul firewood for my woodstove with the pre-heat water coil, or to slog into the neighbours sawmill for a load of locally cut lumber.

Clearly, with WTI hitting $100 yesterday, and Brent higher, our economy will never be the same. It is an old sick cancerous debt fueled mess destined to break down in one way or another. When it does, there will be much to deal with including reduced lifestyles. I don't pretend an ability to predict what will happen beyond my own current choices. We live 50 miles from a small city of 35,000 people. We live approx. 100 miles from Vancouver, a realtively well behaved and wealthy city, drug gang shootings, notwithstanding. We will live no closer and continue to limit how often we shop in town and limit what we buy. As events unfold, it will dictate how much more we change. I expect that is what others are doing as well. meanwhile, it is more important for me to get along with family doing the best that they can , than tell them what they are doing is wrong and/or telling them what they should do with their time and money.

We need to lead by example, and explain and help when asked to do so. Some of these fine sites and blogs are great and positive beings.

regards...Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 11:46:22

Graeme wrote:You don't understand. Humanity is now in a life and death struggle with the fossil fuel industry. It's them or us. Which do you choose?

I thought it was us and them, were just ordinary men......
vision-master

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 15:10:57

"It's them or us. Which do you choose?" Given that, to varying degrees, everyone on this site utilizes fossil fuels that choice has already been made by the vast majority. And "us" certainly benefit from that steadfast voluntary commitment to continue utilizing fossil fuels. Being a fossil fuel consumer is a bit like being pregnant: either you is or you isn't. Blessed be those who aren't either. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 15:19:59

ROCKMAN wrote:"It's them or us. Which do you choose?" Given that, to varying degrees, everyone on this site utilizes fossil fuels that choice has already been made by the vast majority. And "us" certainly benefit from that steadfast voluntary commitment to continue utilizing fossil fuels. Being a fossil fuel consumer is a bit like being pregnant: either you is or you isn't. Blessed be those who aren't either. LOL.

Unlike a light bulb neither the Pregnant woman nor the climate can be unscrewed.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 16:55:43

Sub - Very good. And I hope I don't offend anyone's personal beliefs but to carry on the analogy some folks are trying to get the population to abort their "condition". And that goes strongly against their energy belief system. A difficult and highly emotional issue to say the least.

And pstarr...you're my hero! LOL. I don't brag about it but I've also taken significant conservation efforts over the years. Some might be surprised. But they need to remember that what I do for a living doesn't get me a discount on my energy bills. Granted I'm far from living off the grid especially from a commuting perspective. But that will radical change when I retire. I'm no more than 2 miles from all the necessities of life including world class medical. Given my time left my getting off the electrical doesn't make much sense economically. But for my 13 daughter who lives in the country and will be getting her first exposure to personal solar next summer it does. But there's still bit of economic hurdle: she's in a portion of the Texas grid being supplied by our big wind farms. A capability that will be increasing significant with some major expansions in the works. And her back up: the very big STPEGS nuke plant. I suspect that by the time she finishes college she'll have access to some of the cheapest and most sustainable power in the country. I just hope by then they make an acceptable electric pickup truck. Cowgirls luv their trucks. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 19:59:24

Thanks for revealing responses here. What is surprising is that there are no ad homs! Maybe that's a reflection of the change in attitude here. More accepting. I liked Paulo's second post too especially his reference to "epiphany moment". As long as we recognize that equating hydrocarbon use with death, then we will all change our behavior too. I suspect that this is beginning to happen by increasing numbers of people. Rock is thinking that his daughter will inherit a world that is cleaner and has electric trucks! Nice to see that Pops is reviewing posts on this forum ten years ago. Changes that have occurred during the last ten years were unexpected. I suspect that in ten years time, our world will be a quite a different place, and that the changes required will come just in the nick of time.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 20:29:01

What is amazing to me is our greatest asset, the curiosity and creativity that allowed us to invent always a little easier life has turned out to be our greatest liability. It isn't the oil cos who are the enemy, it is our own drive to save a step, create a shortcut, gain a little leisure time.

--
The lesson I've learned this year? I'd say it's that the political parties have reached a new nadir. And if anyone thought "They" were going to come to the rescue they should put down the pipe, the current political class is as capable of constructive action for the collective good as the 1%ers.

On the News Hour Friday, Michael Gerson said
I mean, this is a year in which the left in some ways showed its worst face in Obamacare, overconfident, technologically incompetent. But, at the same time, the right showed its worst face, angry populism, uninterested in governing.

Government, like any other entity, is primarily concerned about it's own well being. Did Obama really think the website was ready or could be made ready after he postponed all the big decisions until after the election? Whether he did or didn't, either way, it was a supreme blunder for the guy who ran on the idea that government could do things for people.

Ted Cruz on the other hand . . . did he shut down the government because he actually believed O would simply repeal the ACA after listening to Green Eggs and Ham? Whether he did or didn't, either way he is also guilty of demagoguery verging on economic catastrophe by causing the US government to default for the first time ever. It's like the economic Cuban Missile Crisis.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Return to Peak Oil Discussion