Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ocean Apocolypse--Jeremy Jackson

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Ocean Apocolypse--Jeremy Jackson

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 11:57:22

http://peakoil.com/enviroment/jeremy-ja ... apocalypse

A great and terrifying overview of the multiple catastrophes crashing into the oceans and onto those who live near it and depend on it.

Watch it and weep.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Ocean Apocolypse--Jeremy Jackson

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:04:18

Why has Peakoil been overtaken by the faithful, the religious zealots of doom, death and destruction?

This place has become a cult.
vision-master

Unread postby Lore » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:07:39

Would you rather have us concentrate on the presence of ancient extraterrestrial aliens?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 13:34:53

vision-master wrote:Why has Peakoil been overtaken by the faithful, the religious zealots of doom, death and destruction?

This place has become a cult.

Pointing out the factually indisputable nature of our current predicament and circumstances is hardly a zealous or ideological act. It is
in fact statements such as yours which continuously demonstrate the blind and willful deception and/or ignorance of some who would
discount the posts with a basis in reality which are made on this site. :)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ron Patterson » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 13:56:40

Why has Peakoil been overtaken by the faithful, the religious zealots of doom, death and destruction?

Because that is our future, such as it is.

The Sky Is Falling: Chicken Little Was Right All Along, By Don Wilkin
http://www.carolynbaker.net/2013/11/24/the-sky-is-falling-chicken-little-was-right-all-along-by-don-wilkin/

I am well aware, after nearly a half century of trying, that my sense of impending doom is not widely shared. The sun still shines, gas tanks are full of ethanol, fridges are fully stocked with thousand-mile salads and 3000-mile bananas, and we are warm and cozy. Few can even conceive of the possibility of an impending collapse of human civilization, but there are notable exceptions. My angst is shared by those who, like myself, have studied critical resources in detail and have come to similarly dark conclusions about our future possibilities.
Ron Patterson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 17:03:38

We will all be dead and gone by then and if not, Que Sera Sera

vision-master

Unread postby americandream » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 22:19:04

Don't let this moron drift another very pertinent thread. Ignore him. No amount of reasoning works with this fellow.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 22:40:56

For whatever reason I don't fully understand that video got to me in ways no others have.

I posted a link on another forum about sailing and received one very positive thank you for doing so. Which is sad because it's kinda like hearing you have terminal cancer. I should not be thanked for telling someone such bad news.

One of his comments that hit me was when he says "this isn't news." Well, he is right, plenty is known. I just came from a party of left leaning professional folks. Lots of talks about trendy movies and books, some on medical insurance, etc. all the " right" things to cluck your tongues over. No mention of the environment. None.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 23:07:01

vision-master wrote:Image

Written at age seventeen (September 18, 1896) for a school essay in French ...
That was before he got into Cosmology. :)
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 23:10:43

It was meant to be a criticism of our reason and lack of foresight.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 23:11:23

JJ is really doomtastic. I think he probably held himself back with his cynicism though. Have you ever been at a party with a few drinks and gone off on a doom rant and had everyone gawking in horror ? I can imagine him being very good at that, with footnotes.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 23:49:37

dohboi wrote:http://peakoil.com/enviroment/jeremy-jackson-ocean-apocalypse

A great and terrifying overview of the multiple catastrophes crashing into the oceans and onto those who live near it and depend on it.

Watch it and weep.

Wow. Hansen has nothing on this guy. What an amazing presentation. I was particularly moved by the fish collapse. His slides of the fish catches on the same dock, over five decades was truly eye opening. Also, 90 million 1,000 lb plus turtles along the shores of Cuba during Columbus time blew me away. We have truly committed crimes on a grand scale.

During my youth, in the sixties, I lived about 1/4 mile from a fishing resort, on the Northern Puget Sound. The resort was well into decline do to salmon depletion. Anyway, behind the soda fountain, there was a large board with the large Salmon (anything over 50 Lbs), caught. The fisherman's name, and the weight of the salmon, was carved into the board. At the end of the year a line was burned underneath and the next year would be carved below. There were a lot of 50-70 lb fish, a few were over 70 lbs, and 2 were over 100 with the largest AT 106lbs.
Today, my nephew thinks a 20 lb salmon is huge. I don't think people realize how bad things have gotten.

I hold no hope of government saving us. Therefore, the only ethical decision is to take full responsibility for ourselves, and our (hopefully) diminished number of children. Hopefully, some of us will make it through the upcoming bottleneck.

Depressing shit.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Ocean Apocalypse--Jeremy Jackson

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 05:28:47

a
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 07:07:33

careinke wrote:I hold no hope of government saving us. Therefore, the only ethical decision is to take full responsibility for ourselves, and our (hopefully) diminished number of children. Hopefully, some of us will make it through the upcoming bottleneck.

Depressing shit.

What was even more disturbing was the audience. A military academy and not your usual greenies. I was left completely flummoxed.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Lore » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 09:26:09

careinke wrote:Today, my nephew thinks a 20 lb salmon is huge. I don't think people realize how bad things have gotten.

We've got shrinking 20 lb. salmon and growing 300 lb. people, maybe there's a message here?
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 10:25:08

Cull the herd?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 10:27:13

Harvest the herd, harvest their souls?

This is happening NOW.
vision-master

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 13:18:32

I just finished watching this. Though I already knew much of it, it was still pretty depressing :(
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rollin » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 13:48:18

All the time that the human race was told we were making progress (Euro point of view, not the rest of the world) was just a word for ultimate destruction. I think we need to redefine the word progress.
Once in a while the peasants do win. Of course then they just go and find new rulers, you think they would learn.
rollin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby clif » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 14:21:12

Most indigenous peoples probably define progress much different then the modern day Euro-central meme of progress is defined.

The indigenous peoples of North and South America were much better at protecting the environment and handing a sustainable world to their descendants than the Europeans ever have been. Partly why the Europeans had to branch out to enlarge their planet scorching economic/political schemes, because Europe wasn't large enough by the 15th century for all of it to fit in.

But then again the natives of North and South America didn't rely on an invisible sky fairy to save their asses in the end.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews