Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Curious why oil and gas slumped during coldest weather

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Curious why oil and gas slumped during coldest weather

Unread postby RobertInget » Mon 06 Jan 2014, 16:55:42

Bloomberg and others have misstated factual data. Here's Friday's EIA
report:
Summary of Weekly Petroleum Data for the Week Ending December 27, 2013

U.S. crude oil refinery inputs averaged over 16.2 million barrels per day during the week
ending December 27, 2013, 14 thousand barrels per day higher than the previous week’s
average. Refineries operated at 92.4% of their operable capacity last week. Gasoline
production decreased last week, averaging 9.1 million barrels per day. Distillate fuel
production increased last week, averaging over 5.2 million barrels per day.

U.S. crude oil imports averaged 7.5 million barrels per day last week, down by 40
thousand barrels per day from the previous week. Over the last four weeks, crude oil
imports averaged 7.4 million barrels per day, 7.5% below the same four-week period last
year. Total motor gasoline imports (including both finished gasoline and gasoline
blending components) last week averaged 247 thousand barrels per day. Distillate fuel
imports averaged 140 thousand barrels per day last week.

U.S. commercial crude oil inventories (excluding those in the Strategic Petroleum
Reserve) decreased by 7.0 million barrels from the previous week. At 360.6 million
barrels, U.S. crude oil inventories are above the upper limit of the average range for this
time of year. Total motor gasoline inventories increased by 0.8 million barrels last week,
and are in the upper half of the average range. Finished gasoline inventories decreased
while blending components inventories increased last week. Distillate fuel inventories
increased by 5.0 million barrels last week but are below the lower limit of the average
range for this time of year. Propane/propylene inventories fell 1.5 million barrels last
week and are well below the lower limit of the average range. Total commercial
petroleum inventories decreased by 6.6 million barrels last week.

Total products supplied over the last four-week period averaged about 19.8 million
barrels per day, up by 3.3% from the same period last year. Over the last four weeks,
motor gasoline product supplied averaged about 8.9 million barrels per day, up by 3.5%
from the same period last year. Distillate fuel product supplied averaged over 3.7 million
barrels per day over the last four weeks, up by 1.3% from the same period last year. Jet
fuel product supplied is up 5.3% compared to the same four-week period last year.
http://ir.eia.gov/wpsr/wpsrsummary.pdf#original

Here's the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-0 ... osses.html

Here's my email:
Compare the actual EIA report with you inaccurate reporting

Bob Inget
2:42 PM (11 minutes ago)

to dstets
http://ir.eia.gov/wpsr/wpsrsummary.pdf#original

I kept wondering why caught up in a so called Arctic Vortex, oil, even heating oil and NG would suddenly slide? A half assed explanation is given by
Bloomberg and others stating crude inventories were up when in fact they have fallen for the last five weeks. Imports are lower, demand in your article was misquoted by 900,000 B p/d. The natural gas inventory was equally bullish, but with next week's (record) reports due Thursday and the following Thursday with pipes and wells frozen solid, gas closed down Friday.

Fact checking seems to have gone on vacation.

Thank you for reading my rant, Bob Inget
RobertInget
Wood
Wood

Re: Curious why oil and gas slumped during coldest weather

Unread postby Pops » Mon 06 Jan 2014, 17:01:39

Bob, I have no evidence but could it be the old End-Of-Year, shuffle inventory here and there tax dodge?

I mean I am certain the oil industry is terrified of the regulatory and IRS boogieman and have hearts of gold preventing them of even thinking of doing anything untoward, but . . .

8)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 06 Jan 2014, 18:24:09

Taper (+Iran)?
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby RobertInget » Mon 06 Jan 2014, 20:25:19

Yes POPS but why misquote EIA on such an important not climate but weather related issue?

On the tax issue, if they understated inventory it would be understandable. In this case it's exaggerated.

POP's would you mind editing my email address, My bad.

thanks
RobertInget
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Surf » Tue 07 Jan 2014, 15:35:06

Simple answer, during the december a lot of manufactures shut down for the holidays. As a result less energy is used during the shutdown at the factory and many of the workers are not driving or driving less.

The company I work fow was completely shut down from the 20th to the 5th and much for the electrical equipment was shut down. Additionally many people started their vacation before the company shut down. The only people working were fthose doing maintenance activities that can only be done when the factory is shut down.

A lot of Truckers also go home during the holidays. Also many construction activities stop during cold weather due to frozen ground or temperatures too cold to poor concret. Most of the people working during the holiday worked at stores hospital, emgency services, and power plants.
Surf
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 07 Jan 2014, 16:44:52

A market saying goes "buy on the rumor.......sell on the news"

That means you buy gas and oil stocks BEFORE winter comes Then when the cold temps come you sell out to the buyers who come into the market because they just figured out its cold in the winter 8)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak Oil Discussion