Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Wisdom Of Crowds

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Wisdom Of Crowds

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:03:26

The Wisdom Of Crowds, a topic I think is very worthy of discussion as it impacts how the public will perceive and react to Peak Oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzPnnDDCIjo good video giving a select view of the way crowd knowledge conflicts with wisdom from authority.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Wisdom Of Crowds

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 19 Jan 2014, 15:54:12

Replace the words "lupin hypothesis" with AGW & climate change and "cholesterol" with CO2, and it puts a whole new perspective on things.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 19 Jan 2014, 16:30:22

Replace lipid hypothesis with peak oil theory and cholesterol with technotopia and you get a whole new perspective. People are not beliving peak because hey are being told he symptoms are from something else than the peak of production.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 19 Jan 2014, 18:35:11

dolanbaker wrote:Replace the words "lupin hypothesis" with AGW & climate change and "cholesterol" with CO2, and it puts a whole new perspective on things.

First lets try and keep this thread on the topic of Peak Oil, second having said that your analogy breaks down because the Lipid hypothesis and its Cholesterol sub-theory never had any hard science behind them. Anthropogenic Global Warming being linked to CO2 has a great deal of hard science backing it up. Enough said, if you want to talk global warming being a hoax there is a whole thread on the Environment forum where you can post your doubts to your hearts content.
global-warming-climate-change-is-a-hoax-pt-5-t68144-460.html
Any other global warming thoughts on this thread will be relocated to the appropriate thread as soon as I see them.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 19 Jan 2014, 23:15:22

pstarr wrote:Tanada, how do you apply this to peak oil? Some folks really want to believe in tight shale, energy independence, and oil-bidness BS. Others think tight shale will poison them and alternative vehicles and permaculture will save the day. I guess it depends on which expert (or story) your tribe tribe chooses to anoint.

I think myself that the 'experts' meaning those anointed by the Media have been fooling the masses for quite some time on the issue of Peak Oil, ever since 1971 or there about in the USA. However thanks to Social Media and places like Peak oil dot com I think the crowd is gaining wisdom on the topic, things like several years in a row of his fuel prices and rising everything else prices while the media trumpets LTO as the latest greatest solution e ver makes people think just maybe the anointed experts are full of hooooey.

I also think that means as the crowd wisdom shifts we will be getting more and more traffic so we better get our head screwed on straight so we can share our crowd knowledge too.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 20 Jan 2014, 00:51:18

pstarr wrote:I see what you mean. The conspiracy to place American soldiers in harm's way for oil.

The truth is coming out and when gas goes above $4.00 the curtains will be drawn back. In which case I want my rank changed to "crowd" Or should it be "anointed one"? LOL

I think the anointed ones might not be too happy when the crowd loses its tolerance for them...
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 20 Jan 2014, 17:10:26

Tanada wrote:The Wisdom Of Crowds, a topic I think is very worthy of discussion as it impacts how the public will perceive and react to Peak Oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzPnnDDCIjo good video giving a select view of the way crowd knowledge conflicts with wisdom from authority.

I'm not entirely sure that you can apply the wisdom of crowds to peak oil, simply because for several generations, oil has been seen as plentiful & limitless, it's more a case of the "anointed ones" being the promoters of peak oil.

On this occasion the crowd are not really listening but will eventually have to face the reality of the predicament that we are in when oil supplies fail to meet demand.

Many are in for an unpleasant shock.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 20 Jan 2014, 19:13:53

step back wrote:
Tanada wrote:... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzPnnDDCIjo good video giving a select view of the way crowd knowledge conflicts with wisdom from authority.

Tanada,

Interesting video but I am alarmed with the way the lecturer screws with our minds.

Aunt Bea and Andy Griffith are not "real".
They are fictional characters who are merely the mouthpieces of the TV show writers.

I did not know my grandparents (killed in WW II) but I bet they did not have "wisdom" as to what is scientifically best to eat or not eat. They merely had no choice. A chicken in every pot and every night of the week was simply not an option. You ate whatever you could get your hands on, and normally that was a forced vegan diet.

As for "crowds", there are different ones in every part of the world and each has its own sick form of "wisdom". Ours is to believe that Aunt Bea and Andy Griffith are "real" down home folk.

You must have completely missed the rest of the lecture where he showed that the TV writers were using the common knowledge of the day backed up later by scientific studies showing it was correct. I knew three of my grandparents, they all lived to reasonably old age eating real food in the days when medicine was much less likely to extend your life than it is today. My father lived to 85 eating the same way and my mother is still alive at 83 and mostly healthy. Maybe I have blessed genetics but I don't think so, my parents have outlived most of their siblings and a decade longer than their own parents. Most of my extended family died by the age of 75.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Open Topic Discussion