Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How to make stem cells in 30 minutes

How to make stem cells in 30 minutes

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 Jan 2014, 19:44:47

Scientists discover simple method for making new stem cells keyed to individuals

how to grow your own stem cells

Stem cells are miraculous biologic machines that can repair damaged organs or even grow new replacement parts for humans. For years they could only be obtained by harvesting them from embryos or umbilicals cords.

Now scientists have discovered a simple, cheap way to make new stem cells from blood cells.

This will revolutionize health care and medical treatment. You need a new heart?---Soon it will be possible to grow a new heart or liver or lungs or testicles or throid gland or what-have-you from your own stem cells.

---- Get ready for a quantum leap in the length of human life. :idea:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: How to make stem cells in 30 minutes

Unread postby Simon_R » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 06:57:41

Hi Plant.

I doubt it. Maybe a leap in the quality of life for the few that can afford the surgery.

nice idea though

Simon
Simon_R
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 07:08:41

It is potentially revolutionary. And we don't all live in the States, so it may not be too expensive.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 11:15:18

The Japanese scientists at Riken are awesome because they always have a fresh approach to science that is not influenced by the internal politics of American and European science.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 11:43:39

P - Stem cell research is an area where my owner has made very significant financial contributions. It was an offshoot from the tens of $millions he’s given for research dealing with childhood cancer. There have already been very amazing results. Just search. An odd thing; a couple of years ago our owner had one of the top SC researchers give a speech at our company Christmas dinner. An odd setting for such a subject. My owner and his wife actually got the highest award the pope hands out for his support of ADULT stem cell research, for obvious reasons.

And costs? I don't have numbers but they are not very high at all compared to the alternative treatments. Much cheaper than say a heart transplant and potentially much more common since you wouldn't need a donor. One promising treatment for multiple sclerosis involves a one-time IV treatment. But they are still doing clinical tests so a while before such efforts become common. Compare that to some of the continuous meds that run $40,000/year. I even saw an odd report months ago that the Chinese have learned how to grow replacement teeth. The really out part; they are using stem cells they get from the person's urine.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 13:03:24

PrestonSturges wrote:The Japanese scientists at Riken are awesome because they always have a fresh approach to science that is not influenced by the internal politics of American and European science.

Actually, the work was a collaboration between US and Japanese scientists. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 13:16:44

Northwest Uni in Illinois appears to be the Big Dog in US stem cell research. That's where our Christmas diner speaker works.

http://www.research.northwestern.edu/co ... index.html
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 14:35:59

Saw the guy interviewed and he said the first therapy would simply be injecting (or otherwise placing) the newly rejuvenated cells into tissue (heart, lung, whatever) and letting them go to town!

He said the whole thing came about by realizing that attempts to isolate adult stem cells used pretty rough handling of potential cells, including the acid bath, and the discovery was simply that instead of isolating stem cells they were actually creating them with the process!

Pretty cool.

Now all they gotta do is figure out why my T cells have a hard on for my Beta cells (insulin producers) and I can get off the needle.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 15:15:01

You and me both Pops: I'd like to stop sticking that needle loaded with my MS meds in my thighs 160 times a year.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 16:41:15

P - "Soon it will be possible to grow a new heart or liver or lungs ...". Actually they've already grown various organs and portions of organs in limited clinical tests. They grew a new heart muscle in a guy born with a defective heart. He now runs marathons. They also grew a new kidney (?) for another guy. They put a mesh-like structure in him and the kidney grew around it. there's a company in Chicago that will harvest (takes about 6 hours) your stem cells (younger ones are better) and then stores them for $600/yr until you need them.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 18:19:30

Somewhere Ray Kurzweil is dancing a little jig over this news. His plan to live forever is one step closer to reality.

Ray Kurzweil's TED talk
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Stem Cell Research

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 03 Feb 2014, 18:29:30

I forget where we got distracted by stem cells. But for those interested there's suppose to be a good special on the Science Channel tonight at 9 PM Central
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate