Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

My-RA aka Myra aka Federal Retirement Accounts

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

My-RA aka Myra aka Federal Retirement Accounts

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 20:30:38

WEST MIFFLIN, Pa.—President Barack Obama signed a presidential memorandum Wednesday authorizing the Treasury Department to create a new retirement-savings vehicle aimed at workers who don't have access to traditional retirement accounts, such as 401(k)s. That group includes about half the U.S. workforce.

Called "myRAs," the accounts were among the proposals Mr. Obama unveiled during his State of the Union address on Tuesday. The president drew additional attention to the issue Wednesday as he traveled to a steel plant in Pennsylvania. Mr. Obama told the steelworkers that the accounts were a "pretty good deal" that would help more people save for retirement.

The new accounts will be structured much like Roth IRAs, in which account holders contribute money after income taxes are paid, and any investment gains and withdrawals are tax-free.

To underscore his focus on executive action, the president pulled out a pen while he was still onstage and signed the paperwork greenlighting the retirement savings accounts.

Roth IRA accounts—as opposed to traditional IRAs, which allow pretax contributions—make sense for the younger and lower-income workers the myRA program is trying to reach, said David John, senior strategic policy adviser at the AARP Public Policy Institute in Washington.

The myRA accounts will feature just one investment option—a Treasury bond that will offer the same variable interest-rate return as the benefit federal employees get when they enroll in the Thrift Savings Plan Government Securities Investment Fund. That fund had an annual return of 1.47% in 2012, with an average annual return of 3.61% from 2003 through 2012.

While investors' principal will be protected, the investment gains are expected to be low. Assuming an annual return of 1.5%, it would take someone who contributes $50 every two weeks nearly 11 years to amass $15,000, according to calculations by Vanguard Group, the nation's second-largest retirement-services provider.

In part because participation in the accounts is voluntary, it isn't clear whether they will catch on with employees, who must opt in to the program.

Alicia H. Munnell, who directs the Boston CollegeCenter for Retirement Research, said access to retirement savings plans "is the most serious problem we have, and a proposal like this sheds light on the problem, which is a good thing." But unless participants are automatically enrolled in the accounts, she adds, "you are not going to solve the coverage problem."

Individuals who earn up to $129,000 and couples who earn up to $191,000 are currently eligible to contribute as much as $5,500 a year to a Roth IRA (or $6,500 if they are 50 or older). But only one in 20 Americans who are eligible to make such tax-advantaged contributions do so on a regular basis, said AARP's Mr. John. The same income and contribution limits will apply to myRA accounts.

Still, the White House is betting the new vehicles will help people get into the savings habit—in part because employers who choose to participate can automate the savings of employees who opt into the program via payroll deduction. Moreover, the new myRA accounts allow initial investments as low as $25, with subsequent payroll deductions of $5 or more per pay period. Participants will pay no fees for the accounts.

Employees who switch jobs also will be able to continue to fund the accounts, which will be held at a financial-services company the Treasury will select. Once an account's balance reaches $15,000, participants would be required to roll them over to an IRA at a private-sector financial-services company, where they would be free to select from among an array of investment options.

Initially, the accounts will be offered through employers, but access eventually may be expanded so that individuals can invest on their own, administration officials said.

Two things, anyone can open an IRA today, why do we need a whole new program? Secondly, will people with regular and Roth IRA's be forced into this new system instead of being able to 'Keep your retirement plan if you like your retirement plan'?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My-RA aka Myra aka Federal Retirement Accounts

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 20:58:49

Tanada wrote:will people with regular and Roth IRA's be forced into this new system instead of being able to 'Keep your retirement plan if you like your retirement plan'?

Best to be careful and read the fine print.

Given O's duplicitious lies about people being able to keep their own doctors and health-care plans, one can't help wondering how honest he's being this time

"put your retirement money in my new program.....I call it MY IRAs" wink wink nod nod
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Don35 » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 22:32:21

With the FED buying 90% of Treasury Bonds and tapering, they have to find some other bozos to buy useless government bonds!
Everybody thinks they're righteous! Adam Baldwin "Jayne" Firefly/Serenity
Don35
Peat
Peat

Unread postby rollin » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 22:41:30

Sounds like a great plan for the funds to make huge amounts of money on fees over time.
Once in a while the peasants do win. Of course then they just go and find new rulers, you think they would learn.
rollin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GHung » Thu 30 Jan 2014, 23:10:01

Stealth bail-in.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 09:11:50

Yeah, much better to encourage unsophisticated investors to pay high fees to keep a "fund manager" in cigars (hand rolled on the firm tanned thigh of a young Cuban nymph), or to self-allocate their IRA into the stock market for fleecing, or even better, turn everything over to Jamie Dimon a la Bushes SS "Privatization" and just get it over,
or continue as today saving nothing.

Bond rates change, when interest rates rise so do (new) bond yields.
US bonds are safer than anything else.
There are no fees.
No minimums, well, $25 to start/$5 check

American Family Financial Statistics
Average American family savings account balance . . . . . $3,800
Percent of working Americans who are not saving for retirement . . . . . 40 %
Percent of American families who have no savings at all . . . . . 25 %
Average amount saved for retirement . . . . . $35,000

http://www.statisticbrain.com/american- ... tatistics/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 09:41:59

Pops wrote:Yeah, much better to encourage unsophisticated investors to pay high fees to keep a "fund manager" in cigars (hand rolled on the firm tanned thigh of a young Cuban nymph), or to self-allocate their IRA into the stock market for fleecing, or even better, turn everything over to Jamie Dimon a la Bushes SS "Privatization" and just get it over,
or continue as today saving nothing.

Bond rates change, when interest rates rise so do (new) bond yields.
US bonds are safer than anything else.
There are no fees.
No minimums, well, $25 to start/$5 check

American Family Financial Statistics
Average American family savings account balance . . . . . $3,800
Percent of working Americans who are not saving for retirement . . . . . 40 %
Percent of American families who have no savings at all . . . . . 25 %
Average amount saved for retirement . . . . . $35,000

http://www.statisticbrain.com/american- ... tatistics/

I will make a deal with you, convert all my future social security deductions into myra account bonds. Otherwise I will make my very own retirement plans thank you very much.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Timo » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 10:44:55

No one is forcing this on anyone. This is entirely employer-based, just like health care. With myRAs, the employer isn't required to offer retirement accounts for every employee, but those employees who want one can start it through their employer through a payroll deduction. Once it hits $15k, then it changes over to a traditional IRA. If you want to keep and manage your own investments, fine. No one is suggesting you can't, or will be forced into a myRA. I'm sure this program will not be perfect, just like the whole privatization of Social Security craze back under W, but it is intended to get younger people and younger families to start saving for retirement. What can be wrong with that? If i had started an IRA when i started working back before college, i'd be a millionaire by now, but i didn't, and now i'm putting away as much as i can through my own personal investments. MyRAs are completely voluntary, but are a very good idea to incetivize personal savings for retirement. On the flip side, i seriously doubt this idea will ever amount to much. It's a good idea without any real momentum to get it running very effectively. But who knows? Maybe that is the best approach. We'll see.
Timo

Unread postby Paulo1 » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 11:38:45

The problem with Govt pensions is, of course, Government. They cannot be trusted not to use the money for political purposes. They will spend the milk money on smokes. Or wars. Or getting votes. I think this new plan is no exception without serious legislation to protect it.

I am a member of a Canadian public pension plan/fund, but we manage our funds internally....and the management is not subject to political interference. I was required to pay in approximately $1,000/month as part of my employment contract, as well as pay regular union dues and a percentage payment for our benefit package. Coupled with income taxes, both Provincial and Federal, I will hazard a quick guess that more than 50% of my salary was taxed away in one way or another. Plus, we pay both Federal GST 5% and Provincial taxes 7% on every purchase with after tax dollars. I am 58...retired at 57 and now work when I feel like it as a contractor. Every day I give thanks for this forced pension plan involvement. I have never minded paying my taxes because I knew they paid the benefits of being a citizen.

Internal management of my Pension Plan costs approx. .3%...(yes, .3%) Assets increased 100% in the last 10 years and is well placed to handle the declining worker support ratio looming as more retirees live longer. The difference is that our Plan has been managed internally, by a joint worker and employer committee. Day to day investments are decided upon by professionals with no link to Govt. Actuaries as opposed to politicians decide contribution rates and their advice is listened to and adhered to. There are public meetings. Grouped together, a top ten plan member has a leveraged ability for favourable and well scaled investment with adequate retirement returns. Our Plan is in good shape and that includes the universal CPP which pays out at approx. 50% of the US Social Security benefit rate, which as I understand it, has been raided for general Govt revenues by US politicians.

So, if the floated Obama US Plan (MyIRA?) is anything like Obama Care, run. If you want a decent retirement benefit you have to pay a decent contribution, every month...day in and day out...year by year. If you want decent medical coverage, you have to pay for it, everyday, with both tax dollars and premium contributions.

If I could advise a US dictator I would tell them to tax your fuel at the same rate Canada does and use the money for transit and infrastructure. I would tell them to tax booze and cigarettes the same way...raise it by 100% and use the money for universal health care (single payer). And for pensions I would raise the contribution rates and make it law that such funds could not be used for general revenues on pain of death and dismemberment for any politician that does so. You might want to cut the military budget by 50% as a start and use that money to bring down the debt, too. Oh yeah, your income tax rates will have to go up, big time.

I realize that Canadian personal debt levels are extremely high right now. There is no excuse for it beyond self gratification and living as a consumer. Foolish citizens make foolish decisions for sure, and this seems to be a universal condition. But if a Canadian or US worker is prudent, lives within his/her means, and ends working life with no debt then a modest Govt. pension of $1,000.00-$1,3000.00 per month is more than adequate. You have no medical expenses with a single payer health care system so there is just heat/lights, transportation,food, and clothing for regular expenses. If you have $1,000 rent or mortgage payment, a car payment, and eat in restaurants instead of learning to cook at home, guess what? You can't afford to ever retire and no pension plan will ever be enough. If you want to retire you cannot have debt, pure and simple. If you want to retire debt you have to use the milk money for milk and contribute to a pension plan at a rate decided on by professionals. These issues are not political in nature, they are personal values.

I accept that we no longer trust politicians or bankers these days. Dealing with that set of problems is political. If it cannot be done at the voting booth then these criminals need to be hounded and forced into misery by any means possible. Trust them with my retirement savings? Not on your life, or mine. It may be a good way to get started saving and planning for retirement, but I can't see it lasting long term? Does anyone think ObamaCare will survive without serious modifications? Can this new floating gem survive? Probably not. It seems too much a like a flavour of the day designed to get votes but not really fix anything. This man has no credibility left nor do his programs.

regards....Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:33:24

Timo wrote:I'm sure this program will not be perfect, just like the whole privatization of Social Security craze back under W, but it is intended to get younger people and younger families to start saving for retirement. What can be wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with that. The only issue I have is that it is trying to persuade a group of (on average, apparently) VERY unsophisticated investors to invest in relatively long term US bonds (otherwise the yield would be near zero). The implication of this is that it is a very safe retirement plan. If interest rates do rise significantly, these investors will be "rewarded" with a SIGNIFICANT haircut on their foray into a retirement savings plan.

Also, with interest rates where they are, the liklihood of a significant downside over the next several years seems to be much higher than a significant upside.

So, my only "issue" is with the sales pitch vs. the risk. Something like a bank based high yield savings account (good old traditional banking) which is COMPLETELY safe in nominal dollars (assuming the FDIC insurance is backed) and at least makes a meaningful yield (say a bit shy of 1% currently) would be a lot safer. Of course, the saver would be a net loser to inflation, should current trends continue.

I suspect the Obama administration doesn't want to bring the reality of ongoing net negative savings rates for retirees and others who don't like risk to the forefront of voters in an election year. And also, why do something simple to get people to save safely. Obama wants to appear to be "DOING SOMETHING" -- again, an election year.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Pops » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:39:10

LOL, it's just Treasury bonds.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 14:10:31

Pops wrote:LOL, it's just Treasury bonds.

Before you "LOL" at "just" long term treasury bonds, are you aware that they can move faster than stocks when interest rates are moving fast? Look at what happened in the interest rate boom/bust of the early 80's.

http://etfdb.com/factsheets/TLT/

Per the ETF fact sheet for the popular TLT Treasury ETF (link above), the duration, as of Jan 24th, was well over 17. The average maturity length of the bonds was about 28 years. That means for a one point increase in interest rates, investors would lose about 17+% of their principle.

Now, if you're a newbie investor, thinking that bonds are "safe" -- how do you react in say 3 years if long term interest rates rise by a mere 3% and your investment has lost roughly half it's value? I predict it would be along the lines of a "I thought if I liked my health care plan I could keep it" -- but angrier.

Or are you so politically wed to the Obama camp that you can't stand a little objective discussion of policy if it points out a legitimate weakness? (I don't know where you are on the political spectrum, but "LOL" certainly seems to be an uninformed reaction).

BTW, it amazes me that many far left liberals will just gloss over serious economic issues as though they don't matter, much the same way that some hard right conservatives will totally ignore scientific data, as though THAT doesn't count if it interferes with their religious beliefs or "offends" their intuitions in some way.

And of course, both sides are showing their ignorance, even as they scream about how "stupid" the other side is.

-- edited for clarification the ETF I'm discussing is the TLT, and to fix a typo.
Last edited by Outcast_Searcher on Fri 31 Jan 2014, 14:30:43, edited 2 times in total.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 14:17:48

Timo wrote: No one is suggesting you can't, or will be forced into a myRA.

No one suggested people would be forced out of their healthcare plans and not allowed to keep their own doctors because of Ocare either, but it turned out that O and the Ds were lying.

All we know about MyRAs so far is a few words in speech by O, who we already know lies like a rug when he is trying to sell one of his plans. What O said said sounded fine, but given his past dishonesty, People would be wise to be cautious. Lets see how the MyRA plan is actually set up and then read the fine print---twice-----.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 14:32:18

So your point is better to not encourage savings.

Good plan, its worked so far.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 14:41:16

Pops wrote:So your point is better to not encourage savings.

Good plan, its worked so far.

If you're addressing me, then NO -- my point is to provide reasonable general disclosure of the nature of the RISKS the savings vehicle you're proposing entail, and preferably, to have those match the class of investor you're targeting.

Remember how angry the left got when the banks "misled" highly sophisticated investors like large political entities with gangs of lawyers in the CDS scandal? How angry should they get if Obama is misleading poor people about his proposed "safe" retirement plan? (Again, IF the yield offered is meaningful -- treasuries MUST currently be long term enough to entail significant volatility risk. If they are very short term in nature, the yields are miniscule, and therefore not worth bothering with vs. a simple, completely safe, high yield bank savings account).

It appears Obama is showing his financial ignorance again, much like when he didn't know how to say "price/earnings ratio" when giving a speech referencing his "success" when the stock market was going up. (When it was going down it was the GOP's fault, of course).

I'm all for automatic enrollments in 401-K's, etc. I'm also for full disclosure by people who understand investing well enough to summarize such disclosure reasonably accurately.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 15:01:39

The scariest phrase in the English language,
I'm from the Government and I'm here to HELP you.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 15:08:36

Crimeny, the fund is the same as the Government Securities Investment Fund:
• The G Fund offers the opportunity to earn rates of interest similar to
those of U.S. Government notes and bonds but without any risk of loss
of principal and very little volatility of earnings.
• The objective of the G Fund is to maintain a higher return than inflation
without exposing the fund to risk of default or changes in market prices.
• The G Fund is invested in short-term U.S. Treasury securities specially
issued to the TSP. Payment of principal and interest is guaranteed by the
U.S. Government. Thus, there is no “credit risk.”
• The interest rate resets monthly and is based on the weighted average
yield of all outstanding Treasury notes and bonds with 4 or more years
to maturity.
• Earnings consist entirely of interest income on the securities.
• Interest on G Fund securities has, over time, outpaced inflation and
90-day T-bills.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... FGFund.pdf

But whatever, liberal this and lying Obama that and no one does anything.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 15:17:06

Pops wrote:Crimeny, the fund is the same as the Government Securities Investment Fund:
• The G Fund offers the opportunity to earn rates of interest similar to
those of U.S. Government notes and bonds but without any risk of loss
of principal and very little volatility of earnings.
• The objective of the G Fund is to maintain a higher return than inflation
without exposing the fund to risk of default or changes in market prices.
• The G Fund is invested in short-term U.S. Treasury securities specially
issued to the TSP. Payment of principal and interest is guaranteed by the
U.S. Government. Thus, there is no “credit risk.”
• The interest rate resets monthly and is based on the weighted average
yield of all outstanding Treasury notes and bonds with 4 or more years
to maturity.
• Earnings consist entirely of interest income on the securities.
• Interest on G Fund securities has, over time, outpaced inflation and
90-day T-bills.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... FGFund.pdf

Pops no offense intended, I just don't think this is in any way a solution. It is far better to do nothing than to do the wrong thing with the very best of intentions.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 15:28:06

Tell me why it is wrong to encourage folks to save, Sub?

Isn't that the big knock on liberals, that they don't believe in personal responsibility? Isn't saving a cornerstone of responsibility?
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 31 Jan 2014, 15:34:33

Pops wrote:Crimeny, the fund is the same as the Government Securities Investment Fund:

1). You know this how? You're guessing? You have a citation from an official Obama administration document?

2). It's unfortunate we can't see the 2013 results for the G fund (probably not published for another quarter or so). With interest rates having risen in 2013, treasury fund performance was generally negative. (The point I was making, which you seem to want to ignore).

I guess we'll see in time. It's too bad people can't have a reasonable discussion about policy based on actual data without raising political hackles. No wonder so little gets done.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Next

Return to Economics & Finance