Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bottle Garden, Inspirational!!

Bottle Garden, Inspirational!!

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 30 Mar 2014, 19:32:45

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2aSkxFzKV

For the last 40 years it has been completely sealed from the outside world. But the indoor variety of spiderworts (or Tradescantia, to give the plant species its scientific Latin name) within has thrived, filling its globular bottle home with healthy foliage.
Yesterday Mr Latimer, 80, said: ‘It’s 6ft from a window so gets a bit of sunlight. It grows towards the light so it gets turned round every so often so it grows evenly.
‘Otherwise, it’s the definition of low-maintenance. I’ve never pruned it, it just seems to have grown to the limits of the bottle.’
The bottle garden has created its own miniature ecosystem. Despite being cut off from the outside world, because it is still absorbing light it can photosynthesise, the process by which plants convert sunlight into the energy they need to grow.

Fascinating story, much more at the link. 40 years in a sealed environment and still healthy.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Bottle Garden, Inspirational!!

Unread postby AndyA » Mon 31 Mar 2014, 00:33:13

Yep the earth has been doing the same thing for billions of years, yet a lot of the Carbon has been locked up deep underground. Thankfully the earth evolved humans to release this carbon back into the atmosphere where it belongs.
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. -Sen-ts'an
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Bottle Garden, Inspirational!!

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 01 Apr 2014, 12:35:31

Pretty certain he adds water because even a bottle of wine would be losing volume. Unless it's truly sealed it's also breathing every time the barometric pressure changes. The cork needs to be painted over with tar.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate