Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Removing shoes at airports

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Removing shoes at airports

Unread postby KrellEnergySource » Mon 14 Apr 2014, 16:27:33

Let's see, it's been over 12 years now that we've been required to remove our shoes, send them through the scanners, and then put them back on once we're fully cleared at the airport.

Is there some reason why there are still no benches to sit on while doing that?

Yes, I flew yesterday for the first time in quite a while. There is nothing enjoyable about air travel anymore.

Brian
KrellEnergySource
Peat
Peat

Re: Removing shoes at airports

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 14 Apr 2014, 18:29:32

There are these "approved by TSA" plastic covering you can wear through the scanner. The problem is they slip off real easy. First time through they worked, but on my return trip one of them came off and I got my sock dirty.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 14 Apr 2014, 21:04:22

Once, at Dulles, i had to remove my shoes at three different check points, prior to boarding one flight!

I usually fly USAIR. Now that they are merging with AA I sometimes fly on that. AA has given me some kind of precleared status where I don't have to remove shoes, or my laptop, and go through an expedited line. On USAIR I still get the same old treatment.

Go figure.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 14 Apr 2014, 21:14:12

Ive had the metal detector run over the bare soles of my feet at NY airport.

Surely you would see a bulge ,limp or scars if you had bomb implants???

The trick was I had SSS on my boarding pass Special Security Search
I bought a round the world ticket,multiple destinations flying in one direction.
Which means I had a 1 way ticket which terrorists do/did.
Doubt too many terrorists spent several months travelling around Europe before they decide to go for the 72 virgins,or take their wife with them.

No big deal its a fun travel story now
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 23 Apr 2014, 00:34:56

Teenage plane stowaway snuck aboard despite being caught on camera
Fifteen-year-old who survived trip to from California to Hawaii in wheel well illustrates major issues with airport security
Surveillance cameras at San Jose international airport successfully captured the teenager on the tarmac, climbing up the landing gear of a jet. But in the end, the cameras failed because no one noticed the security breach until the plane – and the boy – landed in Hawaii.

Although the 15-year-old apparently wanted nothing more than to run away, his success in slipping past layers of security early Sunday morning made it clear that a determined person can still get into a supposedly safe area and sneak onto a plane.
That's why you have to remove your sneakers.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KrellEnergySource » Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:20:10

Also, apparently it's somehow supposed to be common knowledge that we're to remove *everything* from our pockets now, not just metal objects. The TSA agent at Chicago O'Hare was a bit curt with me as he had me empty my pockets after the full body scanner. I withdrew crumpled receipts, folding money, golf tees and other objects.

I had read all the signs present in the line and none of them mentioned this as a requirement. There were just the instructions to remove your belt, your shoes, your jacket, your 3 oz liquids and aerosols.......

Brian
KrellEnergySource
Peat
Peat

Unread postby aldente » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 15:54:43

There is a duplicate answer:

First of all the shoes ( not to be mixed up with the develish showbread TBI (to be introduced, also known as the hebrew shoe bread- wrong spelling..)

then there is yet animal that strifes not to be exposed "picturalically" - cant figure this one out so far in the mystery landscape..
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 16:47:48

Keith_McClary wrote:Teenage plane stowaway snuck aboard despite being caught on camera
Fifteen-year-old who survived trip to from California to Hawaii in wheel well illustrates major issues with airport security
Surveillance cameras at San Jose international airport successfully captured the teenager on the tarmac, climbing up the landing gear of a jet. But in the end, the cameras failed because no one noticed the security breach until the plane – and the boy – landed in Hawaii.

Although the 15-year-old apparently wanted nothing more than to run away, his success in slipping past layers of security early Sunday morning made it clear that a determined person can still get into a supposedly safe area and sneak onto a plane.
That's why you have to remove your sneakers.

Surely it's an argument NOT to have to remove your sneakers. If a lone teenager can breach security, all the sneaker searches in the world aren't going to stop a terrorist. And yet, there hasn't been a second 9/11. It's enough to make you think they're scaring us all for their own ends.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 17:51:37

Ya think? :-D

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a more lethal plan than 9/11 if I put my mind to it. One that didn't involve airplanes.

9/11 was just a catalyst that allowed a reaction to occur! the necessary elements were there before 9/11.

Personally I feel the biggest reason for the TSA is to create "jobs" for thousands of otherwise unemployed folks. It's not about security, it's about wealth distribution and giving folks to do so they don't suffer the indignity of the unemployment line.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Open Topic Discussion