Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New airport for Sydney.

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

New airport for Sydney.

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Mon 14 Apr 2014, 21:02:10

Yair . . . lot of talk about big bucks for a new airport in Sydney. I couldn't see it getting operational for say ten to fifteen years . . . by that time is it needed?

Cheers.
Scrub Puller
Lignite
Lignite

Re: New airport for Sydney.

Unread postby alokin » Tue 15 Apr 2014, 00:00:15

That does not prevent them from burying millions into that project. I don't know with how much protests they have to count.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby sparky » Tue 15 Apr 2014, 00:02:01

A new airport for Sydney has been planned .....talked about ...... announced .....for 50 years

This could be it but on past performance i doubt it
the only push for it is that Kingsford Smith the present one is five miles form the city center
it sit on very valuable real estate , while the new site at Badgerry creek is 35 miles away deep in the sticks
the taxi ride would bankrupt you !
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 15 Apr 2014, 02:04:22

sparky wrote:.
A new airport for Sydney has been planned .....talked about ...... announced .....for 50 years

This could be it but on past performance i doubt it
the only push for it is that Kingsford Smith the present one is five miles form the city center
it sit on very valuable real estate , while the new site at Badgerry creek is 35 miles away deep in the sticks
the taxi ride would bankrupt you !

In America at least three cities I know of built new airports for that reason after World War Two, but the old airports are still in service for smaller aircraft. Detroit city airport and New York City's Laguardia are both on very valuable realestate but still operating as airports.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby peterjames » Tue 15 Apr 2014, 03:47:22

Sydney airport is still going to run as per normal, thus the realestate aint going benefit anyone to any great extent. On the other hand, the new airport will be on cheaper land, so has the potential to decrease the value of sydney airport (after all, no one goes to park or eat at the airport unless catching a plane.

The odd thing about it tho, is that the two biggest users (and probably others) are airlines that are losing money. One can only assume that if the airlines charged fares that made money, then there may be less demand for their services. In a world of increasing oil costs, and oil supply decreasing, you do have to wonder what will be using the new airport by the time it is built.
peterjames
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 15 Apr 2014, 05:46:25

Makes more sense to build a fast train between Sydney and Melbourne
Probably get there quicker too down-town to down-town,no taxi to and fro and no waiting for boarding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed ... _Australia
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 15 Apr 2014, 08:15:15

If my memory serves me correctly, a fancy new terminal for passenger ships was built in Sydney just before a dramatic switch from ship travel to (much faster) air travel. So it would be entirely within this type of thinking to build a new airport just as air travel can be expected to decline due to rising fuel costs.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby alokin » Tue 15 Apr 2014, 08:36:10

alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion