Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What's your personality type?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

What's your personality type?

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 May 2014, 00:49:14

I'm INFJ. Just found that out recently, wish I'd known it many years ago, lol. Explains a lot.

I – Introversion preferred to extroversion: INFJs tend to be quiet and reserved. They generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations (whereas extroverts gain energy).[8]
N – Intuition preferred to sensing: INFJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus on the big picture rather than the details, and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities.[9]
F – Feeling preferred to thinking: INFJs tend to value personal considerations above objective criteria. When making decisions, they often give more weight to social implications than to logic.[10]
J – Judgment preferred to perception: INFJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability.

INFJs are conscientious and value-driven. They seek meaning in relationships, ideas, and events, with an eye toward better understanding of themselves and others. Using their intuitive skills, they develop a clear and confident vision, which they then set out to execute, aiming to better the lives of others. Like their INTJ counterparts, INFJs regard problems as opportunities to design and implement creative solutions.[12]

INFJs can adapt easily in social situations due to their complex understanding of an individual's motivations; however, they are true introverts. INFJs are private individuals who prefer to exercise their influence behind the scenes. Though they are very independent, INFJs are intensely interested in the well-being of others. INFJs prefer one-on-one relationships to large groups. Sensitive and complex, they are adept at understanding complicated issues and driven to resolve differences in a cooperative and creative manner.[3]

INFJs have a rich, vivid inner life that they may be reluctant to share with those around them. Nevertheless, they are congenial in their interactions and perceptive of the emotions of others. Generally well liked by their peers, they may often be considered close friends and confidants by most other types; however, they are guarded in expressing their own feelings, especially to new people, and tend to establish close relationships slowly. INFJs tend to be easily hurt, though they may not reveal it (except to their closest companions). INFJs may "silently withdraw as a way of setting limits" rather than expressing their wounded feelings—a behavior that may leave others confused and upset.[13]

INFJs tend to be sensitive, quiet leaders with a great depth of personality. They are intricately, deeply woven, mysterious, highly complex, and often puzzling, even to themselves. They have an orderly view toward the world but are internally arranged in a complex way that only they can understand. Abstract in communicating, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities. With a natural affinity for art, INFJs tend to be creative and easily inspired, yet they may also do well in the sciences, aided by their intuition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INFJ

For example -- I seem like an extrovert, but really it expends energy. I have to withdraw. I have great intuition. INFJ's are the "protector" type, and that's me -- always for the underdog. I'm best in an emergency, I react before others can.

I could never have a lot of close people socially, I'm a one-on-one person. So it's interesting, to suddenly take a test on the internet and see these things. I'm not quirky, it's just my personality and it's the rarest of them. Only 1% of the population are INFJ's.

Anyone else take one of these tests? Seems to be popular in the workplace these days.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: What's your personality type?

Unread postby careinke » Sat 10 May 2014, 03:33:40

I've always scored as an INTJ. Although few would classify me as introverted.

INTJs are one of the rarest of the sixteen personality types, and account for approximately 1-2% of the population

I – Introversion preferred to extraversion: INTJs tend to be quiet and reserved. They generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy).
N – Intuition preferred to sensing: INTJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities.
T – Thinking preferred to feeling: INTJs tend to value objective criteria above personal preference or sentiment. When making decisions they generally give more weight to logic than to social considerations.
J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting

INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake ... INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait of combining imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority come into play. Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel ... This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals ... Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense.

INTJs are analytical. Like INTPs, they are most comfortable working alone and tend to be less sociable than other types. Nevertheless, INTJs are prepared to lead if no one else seems up to the task, or if they see a major weakness in the current leadership. They tend to be pragmatic, logical, and creative. They have a low tolerance for spin or rampant emotionalism. They are not generally susceptible to catchphrases and do not readily accept authority based on tradition, rank, or title.

INTJs are strong individualists who seek new angles or novel ways of looking at things. They enjoy coming to new understandings. They tend to be insightful and mentally quick; however, this mental quickness may not always be outwardly apparent to others since they keep a great deal to themselves. They are very determined people who trust their vision of the possibilities, regardless of what others think. They may even be considered the most independent of all of the sixteen personality types. INTJs are at their best in quietly and firmly developing their ideas, theories, and principles.

Hallmarks of the INTJ include independence of thought and a desire for efficiency. They work best when given autonomy and creative freedom. They harbor an innate desire to express themselves by conceptualizing their own intellectual designs. They have a talent for analyzing and formulating complex theories. INTJs are generally well-suited for occupations within academia, research, consulting, management, science, engineering, and law. They are often acutely aware of their own knowledge and abilities—as well as their limitations and what they don't know (a quality that tends to distinguish them from INTPs). INTJs thus develop a strong confidence in their ability and talents, making them natural leaders.

In forming relationships, INTJs tend to seek out others with similar character traits and ideologies. Agreement on theoretical concepts is an important aspect of their relationships. By nature INTJs can be demanding in their expectations, and approach relationships in a rational manner. As a result, INTJs may not always respond to a spontaneous infatuation but wait for a mate who better fits their set criteria. They tend to be stable, reliable, and dedicated. Harmony in relationships and home life tends to be extremely important to them. They generally withhold strong emotion and do not like to waste time with what they consider irrational social rituals. This may cause non-INTJs to perceive them as distant and reserved; nevertheless, INTJs are usually very loyal partners who are prepared to commit substantial energy and time into a relationship to make it work.

As mates, INTJs want harmony and order in the home and in relationships. The most independent of all types, INTJs trust their intuition when choosing friends and mates—even in spite of contradictory evidence or pressure from others. The emotions of an INTJ are hard to read, and neither male nor female INTJs are apt to express emotional reactions. At times, INTJs seem cold, reserved, and unresponsive, while in fact they are almost hypersensitive to signals of rejection from those they care for. In social situations, INTJs may also be unresponsive and may neglect small rituals designed to put others at ease. For example, INTJs may communicate that idle dialogue such as small talk is a waste of time. This may create the impression that the INTJ is in a hurry—an impression that is not always intended. In their interpersonal relationships, INTJs are usually better in a working situation than in a recreational situation.

Pretty darn close overall. No wonder my spouse finds me confusing sometimes...
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 10 May 2014, 04:22:28

For the sake of the OP question, each time I've played with one of those tests, it spits out INTJ; that said... I think the descriptive texts given with each of the type classifications is meant to provoke a confirmation bias response, so I inherently do not trust them. They can lead you to trust that the test or conclusion has significance that it doesn't really warrant.

I do know I'm intensely introverted and analytical.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 10 May 2014, 07:56:14

We all were given the test at work during a Program management course. I come out as INTP but one or two of those were borderline (can't remember which).
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 10 May 2014, 09:55:06

Where is the test?
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 May 2014, 09:59:33

Well this is interesting, we're all judgemental (except Dino) intuitive introverts. :lol:

So far..

INFJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTP

Quinny wrote:Where is the test?

Don't have a link for the one I took but you could google one up, or maybe someone has a good test link. It's the Meyers-Briggs thing.

I have a hunch everyone on this forum is similar in some way, I've always thought that. Probably introversion and intuition.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 10 May 2014, 10:22:19

Sixstrings wrote:Well this is interesting, we're all judgemental (except Dino) intuitive introverts. :lol:

Yeah, sometime I've been told - "you're so judgmental" but it's always said as a joke.

I think one of the borderline areas for me was I vs E. I am somewhat quiet and I don't usually gain energy from external engagement but I like it, am good at it and like being around people in general.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 10 May 2014, 10:48:30

Once did something for work, will try to look it up, but I'm pretty sure I was strong E if it's the same thing.
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 10 May 2014, 19:11:27

ENFJ

Your Type Preferences

Extravert(1%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(12%) Judging(1%)

Because you appear to have marginal or no (1%) preference of Extraversion over Introversion, marginal or no (1%) preference of Judging over Perceiving, characteristics of more than one personality type may apply to you:
ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP and INFP.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sat 10 May 2014, 19:42:40

Shaved Monkey wrote:ENFJ

Your Type Preferences

Because you appear to have marginal or no (1%) preference of Extraversion over Introversion, marginal or no (1%) preference of Judging over Perceiving, characteristics of more than one personality type may apply to you:

Looks like so far, you are the most rounded of all of us. :-D
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Sun 11 May 2014, 08:15:02

There have been a couple of these threads, here is one from way back with a PO poll

I turned out to be an INTJ this time with 67 on the introverted, 50 thinking - about right; more head than gut, shy behind an arrogant front, :badgrin:

Surprisingly I was 88 on the intuitive. I would have guess more "rational" but the part here under Jung Typology about seeing "various possible outcomes" seems right; I've started many threads here arguing with myself, LOL
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sun 11 May 2014, 10:49:37

Yes, Pops, as I recall from the numerous threads, this place attracts INTP big time.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 11 May 2014, 11:10:15

basil_hayden wrote:Yes, Pops, as I recall from the numerous threads, this place attracts INTP big time.

That is very interesting, especially considering that ((according to wikipedia).. "INTPs are one of the rarest personality types, accounting for 1–5% of the U.S. population."
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 11 May 2014, 12:18:59

pstarr wrote:I don't have a goddamned personality type or a sign. :-x

I'm just a happy guy!

Yes you do. You are an IJHG

:) :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 11 May 2014, 15:17:35

Just tried one
ENFP
Extravert(89%) iNtuitive(38%) Feeling(25%) Perceiving(44%)

Found a lot of questions not ambiguous, but difficult to think how they might contribute.

eg You get pleasure from solitary walks? I answered yes, but I actually prefer to be with someone?
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 11 May 2014, 18:53:24

careinke wrote:
Shaved Monkey wrote:ENFJ

Your Type Preferences

Looks like so far, you are the most rounded of all of us. :-D

Nah I'm as mad as every other human just good at acting normal when I have to.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion