Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ask a Ukrainian

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Ask a Ukrainian

Unread postby Donetsk » Sat 23 Aug 2014, 02:20:24

Hello guys, as you may have noticed in the last several months my country has been through a lot. I'm sure many of you who wrote extensively on the topic have questions nobody was able to answer. I'll try to. I was born, raised and spent most of my life in the city of Donetsk.
The bloody mire of Mongolian slavery, not the rude glory of the Norman epoch, forms the cradle of Muscovy. Karl Marx
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Ask a Ukrainian

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 23 Aug 2014, 10:23:05

D - Welcome. Sad times for you and your countrymen regardless of individual political affiliations. Typically there are three sides in every civil war: the two military forces and the civilians caught in the cross fire. Probably won't surprise you to find as many supporters of your personal views as distractors. Take no offense.

Good luck to you and your family. We look forward to your onsite contributions.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Sat 23 Aug 2014, 10:24:43

Donetsk wrote:Hello guys, as you may have noticed in the last several months my country has been through a lot. I'm sure many of you who wrote extensively on the topic have questions nobody was able to answer. I'll try to. I was born, raised and spent most of my life in the city of Donetsk.

If you still have relatives there and are in contact with them, then could you give some information about the refugee situation. Are people leaving Donetsk (and Lugansk)? The shelling day and night is probably making life unbearable there. This on top of shortages of essentials.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Donetsk » Sat 23 Aug 2014, 15:03:50

dissident wrote:
Donetsk wrote:Hello guys, as you may have noticed in the last several months my country has been through a lot. I'm sure many of you who wrote extensively on the topic have questions nobody was able to answer. I'll try to. I was born, raised and spent most of my life in the city of Donetsk.

If you still have relatives there and are in contact with them, then could you give some information about the refugee situation. Are people leaving Donetsk (and Lugansk)? The shelling day and night is probably making life unbearable there. This on top of shortages of essentials.

People do leave constantly, if they have ability and means. I got many relatives in Shahtersk, my aunt left for Donetsk after 5 hour long shelling and finding an undetonated " bomb" in her yard, and hoped to go to Rostov but it didn't work out, she came back after several days. Her granddaughter with newborn and a husband did leave for Rostov, she has an aunt living there, but she lives with a boyfriend in a studio, so could not offer a long time arrangement for the young family, so they came back. Basically most of the people would leave, if they could.
The bloody mire of Mongolian slavery, not the rude glory of the Norman epoch, forms the cradle of Muscovy. Karl Marx
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Withnail » Sat 23 Aug 2014, 19:23:21

Donetsk wrote:
People do leave constantly, if they have ability and means. I got many relatives in Shahtersk, my aunt left for Donetsk after 5 hour long shelling and finding an undetonated " bomb" in her yard, and hoped to go to Rostov but it didn't work out, she came back after several days. Her granddaughter with newborn and a husband did leave for Rostov, she has an aunt living there, but she lives with a boyfriend in a studio, so could not offer a long time arrangement for the young family, so they came back. Basically most of the people would leave, if they could.

How do you see an end to the conflict?

What do non combatants think about the Ukrainian forces and the so-called Novorossiyan militias?
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Donetsk » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 12:18:14

Withnail wrote:
Donetsk wrote:

How do you see an end to the conflict?

What do non combatants think about the Ukrainian forces and the so-called Novorossiyan militias?

Well both sides have supporters, but majority isn' t into intricacies of high politics. Most of the prorussian supporters expected the change " a la Crimea" , meaning that they will get a turn with a Siberian tit in exchange for changing flags and dropping documentation in Ukrainian language. So, more money and less trouble, a win-win. Nobody expected or wanted War.
As for the end of the conflict, well I think its fairly easy to predict, there will be a full invasion, or the rebels will lose.Eventually small or even large injections of force simply won't cut it. Besides, militias are running out of local recruits and generally don't trust newbies much. And without locals, what kind of local militia it will be? Also, you can count on Ukrainian government giving up for some undisclosed reason, as a third option. Ukraine is famous for its traitors. But then the trouble will start in Kiev, since freezing the conflict is seen as a loss by so many.
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 12:29:03

What are the local official Ukrainian authorities doing (governor, mayor, government etc.)? Sitting on the fence, waiting for a moment to take sides? Or supporting one side explicitly?
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 12:50:49

Donetsk - Do you think Russia's ultimate use of it's NG weapon this winter might force the Kiev gov't (perhaps forced by its citizens) to capitulate and surrender control to the pro-Russian Ukrainians? That might not be pleasant for many but preferable to the full scale invasion you describe and the huge number of civilians harmed.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Donetsk » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 14:59:14

radon1 wrote:What are the local official Ukrainian authorities doing (governor, mayor, government etc.)? Sitting on the fence, waiting for a moment to take sides? Or supporting one side explicitly?

Governor left Donetsk awhile ago, Mayor of Donetsk left when Strelkov's guys moved in. Basically officials declared neutrality in the beginning. Most of the police and SBU were/are openly or semi-openly collaborating, pretty much all over the region, starting from March. Perhaps less so these days, but they don't really have a choice anymore.
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Donetsk » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 15:10:56

ROCKMAN wrote:Donetsk - Do you think Russia's ultimate use of it's NG weapon this winter might force the Kiev gov't (perhaps forced by its citizens) to capitulate and surrender control to the pro-Russian Ukrainians? That might not be pleasant for many but preferable to the full scale invasion you describe and the huge number of civilians harmed.

No.Not unless it is used as an excuse. They already said they only need 5 billion cubic meters more for the winter, besides a lot of ng-needy factories are closing and industry consumes most of the gas so.. Granted the winter won't be pleasant, but its not the first time for Ukraine. Besides if they trade control over region for gas, what will they do next year? Trade in another region? And the year after that?
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Withnail » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 15:51:34

Donetsk wrote:
No.Not unless it is used as an excuse. They already said they only need 5 billion cubic meters more for the winter, besides a lot of ng-needy factories are closing and industry consumes most of the gas so.. Granted the winter won't be pleasant, but its not the first time for Ukraine. Besides if they trade control over region for gas, what will they do next year? Trade in another region? And the year after that?

Surely all the industries closing is a disaster in itself.

How is Ukraine supposed to buy anything with no industries?
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 16:17:20

Donetsk wrote:
radon1 wrote:What are the local official Ukrainian authorities doing (governor, mayor, government etc.)? Sitting on the fence, waiting for a moment to take sides? Or supporting one side explicitly?

Governor left Donetsk awhile ago, Mayor of Donetsk left when Strelkov's guys moved in. Basically officials declared neutrality in the beginning. Most of the police and SBU were/are openly or semi-openly collaborating, pretty much all over the region, starting from March. Perhaps less so these days, but they don't really have a choice anymore.

Why would you need a full-scale invasion then. This all means that the local state administration is totally outside Kiev's control, and Kiev is unable to execute state power in the region in any form. In order to re-establish the state control, Kiev would need to perform full-blown cleansing of the security offices, and/or hold a large occupational force in the region. Just how realistic this is, assuming no outside powers get involved.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 16:25:36

Seems like 'Donetsk' is basically pro Kiev.

He said that if the Kiev regime ceases their assault on east Ukraine voluntarily it's because they are traitors to Ukraine.

Well OK, I think that statement tells me all i need to know about his views and the reliability of his statements.
Last edited by Withnail on Sun 24 Aug 2014, 16:33:29, edited 1 time in total.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MD » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 16:33:01

"Donetsk" is a sock puppet playing a game.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Withnail » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 16:37:29

MD wrote:"Donetsk" is a sock puppet playing a game.

You'd expect a resident of Donetsk to perhaps express some anger towards the Ukrainians who are shelling his city and killing women and children.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Donetsk » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 17:28:42

Withnail wrote:Seems like 'Donetsk' is basically pro Kiev.

He said that if the Kiev regime ceases their assault on east Ukraine voluntarily it's because they are traitors to Ukraine.

Well OK, I think that statement tells me all i need to know about his views and the reliability of his statements.

Granted, if my views were closer to yours my statements would be much more reliable, right?
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Withnail » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 17:33:18

Donetsk wrote:

Granted, if my views were closer to yours my statements would be much more reliable, right?

It's not that your views are close to mine or not.

Your statement that if Kiev ceased its bombardment of civilians in the east that would mean Kiev are traitors to 'Ukraine' tells me all I need to know.

You're a Ukrainian nationalist, AKA fascist.

End of story.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Donetsk » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 17:41:07

Withnail wrote:
MD wrote:"Donetsk" is a sock puppet playing a game.

You'd expect a resident of Donetsk to perhaps express some anger towards the Ukrainians who are shelling his city and killing women and children.

Did I say resident? I said born, raised, and spent most of life in. Speaking of Ukrainians, did you see them do it? Do you have any evidence? Or your favorite website said so? I for once, do have evidence of the rebels shelling civilians deliberately, and I don't need to rely on anybody 's lies, like you do.
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Donetsk » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 17:58:33

Withnail wrote:
Donetsk wrote:

It's not that your views are close to mine or not.

Your statement that if Kiev ceased its bombardment of civilians in the east that would mean Kiev are traitors to 'Ukraine' tells me all I need to know.

You're a Ukrainian nationalist, AKA fascist.

End of story.

I said no such thing. If the government will stop anti-terrorist operations, or ATO, by all means they will be traitors. Traitors to Ukraine and to the people who are hostages of the situation.
Speaking of Fascism, I have never seen ( or heard ) a Russian speaker who would know what that word means. Obviously you aren't an exception to this natural phenomena.
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Withnail » Sun 24 Aug 2014, 18:08:17

Donetsk wrote: for once, do have evidence of the rebels shelling civilians deliberately, and I don't need to rely on anybody 's lies, like you do.

Bullshit.

I wipe my ass on the blue and yellow rag you call a flag.

I will spit on the grave of your hero Bandera when i visit Munich.

And i just heard that the Hungarians in Trans-Carpathia are in rebellion against Kiev now?

Nice news for you.

They'll get support from Hungary if you try to kill them, wouldn't you think?

And I'm not Russian, you donkey. I'm British.
Last edited by Withnail on Sun 24 Aug 2014, 19:13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Europe Discussion