Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Pleasure Trap

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

The Pleasure Trap

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 29 Aug 2014, 19:56:22

http://youtu.be/fHbJMmm2rOU

Dr. Alan Goldheimer gives a 45 min talk on why we instinctively choose the foods we choose. I don't agree with his Vegan lifestyle choice, but he is an engaging and entertaining speaker and he makes sound arguments about the instinct behind our food choices.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: The Pleasure Trap

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 30 Aug 2014, 05:46:31

I agree with your opinion about this presentation. But understanding my addictions to refined sugars and baked goods does not help me end them. Croissants remain the best-tasting thing in the universe, with a good chocolate cake not far behind.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 30 Aug 2014, 09:14:19

KaiserJeep wrote:I agree with your opinion about this presentation. But understanding my addictions to refined sugars and baked goods does not help me end them. Croissants remain the best-tasting thing in the universe, with a good chocolate cake not far behind.

Clearly you are a guy, my wife laughed out loud over the chocolate section, and she rarely laughs.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 11:50:48

Wheat does terrible things to me, but I still love the taste and texture of whole wheat baked goods.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby sparky » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 15:09:40

Long ago I concluded that life was not worth living without fat , sugar and salt.
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 19:57:05

sparky wrote:.
Long ago I concluded that life was not worth living without fat , sugar and salt.

Last time I went to the US after 5 months here in remote Panama eating healthy and local I indulged in a pleasure trap and ate a pint of Haagen Dasz ice cream and got sicker than a dog. I had been having some abdominal issues and went to an urgent care facility and was diagnosed with gall stones. I am back in Panama now and will have my gall bladder removed next month. The symptoms were long in coming but that ice cream indulgence, a big wad of fat , just put me over the edge. That was almost 2 months ago and I have been forced to maintain a low fat diet since. My symptoms come and go but I do feel better actually eating less fat.

Those taste buds evolved to desire that which was energy rich and relatively rare in our environment; fat and sugar. We are pretty hopelessly predisposed to over indulging in them.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 09:08:31

Ohh yes , the humans , like most mammals are programmed to overindulge during the fleeting good times ,
pilling fat like happy hamsters for the much more frequent bad times .
the pattern is the brief plenty of late summer , followed by the starvation of late winter
those who couldn't get some fat around October would be dead by March
now we can overeat all year round , which is definitely not the case in nature
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:01:57

Ibon wrote:

Last time I went to the US after 5 months here in remote Panama eating healthy and local I indulged in a pleasure trap and ate a pint of Haagen Dasz ice cream and got sicker than a dog. I had been having some abdominal issues and went to an urgent care facility and was diagnosed with gall stones. I am back in Panama now and will have my gall bladder removed next month. The symptoms were long in coming but that ice cream indulgence, a big wad of fat , just put me over the edge. That was almost 2 months ago and I have been forced to maintain a low fat diet since. My symptoms come and go but I do feel better actually eating less fat.

Those taste buds evolved to desire that which was energy rich and relatively rare in our environment; fat and sugar. We are pretty hopelessly predisposed to over indulging in them.

Ibn, gallstones are caused by fat restricted diets that don't stimulate the gall bladder to contract after a meal. Read this information to see I am not making it up, the research is clear.
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2005/08 ... allstones/
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 18:42:50

No, BACON! Now that's the essence of life. Must be genetic, it's the one thing my daughter and I agree upon.

(Or maybe bacon is just distilled fat, sugar and salt?)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 31 Oct 2016, 07:23:13

Subjectivist wrote:
Ibn, gallstones are caused by fat restricted diets that don't stimulate the gall bladder to contract after a meal. Read this information to see I am not making it up, the research is clear.
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2005/08 ... allstones/

Thanks. Interesting and makes sense. I have not been on a low fat diet previously. I have a pretty typical diet and am not over weight. I assume my gallstones are age related. Once you do get gallstones eating a fatty meal will bring on a painful episode because the gall bladder goes into action and the stones is what irritates and causes pain. My surgery is scheduled for Nov 14th here in Panama.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 31 Oct 2016, 19:33:57

Please let us know how it goes and your impression of the Panamanian health system.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Book/Media Reviews