Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Impact of Fuel Price Increases on the Aviation Industry[

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Impact of Fuel Price Increases on the Aviation Industry[

Unread postby vox_mundi » Tue 14 Oct 2014, 17:05:19

Impact of Fuel Price Increases on the Aviation Industry
http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-331
Report: http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/666128.pdf
The aviation industry is vital to the U.S. economy. Passenger airlines directly generate billions of dollars in revenues each year and communities depend on passenger airlines to help connect them to the national transportation system. Between 2002 and 2013, jet fuel prices more than quadrupled from $0.72 to $2.98 per gallon and general aviation gasoline prices more than tripled from $1.29 to $3.93 per gallon in nominal terms.

This report discusses (1) the impact of increases in fuel prices from 2002 to 2013 on commercial passenger aviation, (2) the impact of increases in fuel prices from 2002 to 2012 on general aviation, and (3) the results of GAO's analysis of how future increases in fuel prices could impact the trust fund. GAO reviewed studies and other literature on the impact of fuel price increases. GAO conducted an analysis that included scenarios with increases in fuel prices up to 200 percent through 2024.

In several annual reports and press releases on the airline industry’s economic results, Airlines for America®, the trade association of major U.S. airlines, said that increases in fuel prices contributed to industry-wide annual losses in 2003 ($3.6 billion), 2004 ($9.1 billion), 2005 ($5.7 billion), and 2008 ($9.5 billion). ... Airline employment was also impacted by increasing fuel costs. From December 2002 through December 2013, airline employment fell from about 422,000 to about 325,000, or about 23 percent.

According to aviation associations and government officials, fuel price increases have contributed to a decline in general aviation activity (which is all non-scheduled air service), including the hours flown in general aviation aircraft. This decline in activity adversely affected general aviation airports and the services provided at these airports (such as reductions in flight training and refueling). For these activities and services, the price of fuel is not the only factor that contributed to this decline. According to associations that represent general aviation interests, a weak economy and other factors, such as increased security requirements, also contributed to the decline.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Impact of Fuel Price Increases on the Aviation Industry[

Unread postby Paulo1 » Tue 14 Oct 2014, 17:18:21

re: "For these activities and services, the price of fuel is not the only factor that contributed to this decline."

Most general aviation is unnecessary and reflects a society with more money than it knows how to use wisely. Vital charters are necessary and will be paid for regardless of cost, but as a rule many charters, sightseeing flights, parachuting, etc are a total waste of resources and should be banned. Of course the market is taking care of it, anyway. I say this as someone who made their living in it. Somehow spotting forest fires and flying injured people made a lot more sense than flying fishermen or hunters into remote areas. As far as I'm concerned, it is a waste of a precious resource. Shut 'er down.

Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Re: Impact of Fuel Price Increases on the Aviation Industry[

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 00:16:42

I'm actually flying over to China next Tuesday. I will live in China for a month and then fly back to Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. I believe this might be one of the last times I will ever ride a plane because once the price of oil goes up, riding on a plane may become unaffordable one day.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak Oil Discussion