Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

VALUES

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

VALUES

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 19 Oct 2014, 13:01:11

I wish to start this discussion because I feel it is the way to move forward as individuals and collectively.
Values. The topic is controversial as you can probably ask 100 persons and you will get 100 versions of what their values are. Yet in the aftermath of what I think will be a period of upheaval for humanity in the near future, in my opinion humans cannot move forward unless they have adopted a set of values which will always guide them for as long as we exist. I will be brief intentionally as I recognize that a verbose narrative will probably bore more then interest those perusing this particular topic-discussion. So here is my set of values. In no particular order: Empathy; Loyalty; Love of Peace; Humility; Spirituality; Anti-materialism; Kindness; Love of knowledge; Love. Those are off the top of my head the ones that come to mind. To always stress these as fundamental in our evolution to see them as sacred in not being forsaken or ignored. Basically to hold them up as the standard of what makes a model “human being” and also what will serve henceforth as the glue to a well functioning society. Insights appreciated.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: VALUES

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 19 Oct 2014, 13:03:14

Sorry left out an important one; Compassion
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 19 Oct 2014, 13:15:02

Yep, pstar, unfortunately such it the state of the planet :cry: that the physical world intrudes upon our lofty ideals haha :-D
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Pops » Sun 19 Oct 2014, 13:36:35

Humility is one I think we - I - lack in sufficient quantity. My folks we're very humble people from humble roots and that seemed to automatically give them great empathy. My stepdad would give a total stranger the shirt off his back and help him on with it. I think most folks in the rich world thick giving is something you do with your checkbook - to sooth a guilty conscious perhaps, rather than something you do for another human in need.

Other things like curiosity come to mind but I think narcissism is our biggest frailty lately and really, going back a couple thousand years to when we decided to create a god in our own image.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 19 Oct 2014, 15:20:40

Maybe use of Maslers hierarchy might help categorise? Otherwise how about Live, Love, Learn, try to leave a Legacy and Laugh while you do?

:)
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 20 Oct 2014, 03:42:08

Since you guys are mixing values, with needs, with personalities, let me add a view ethics to the mix.

Care of the Earth - Improve the earth and quit trying to poison it. Cooperate with nature rather than battle it. Nature has millions of years of practice, study it, learn from it, and use it's lessons.

Care of People - Work to provide systems that sustainably meet peoples needs. Recognize that people are individuals and have different talents to contribute as well as different needs.

Return the surplus to the above two ethics - Surpluses are achieved in part through self limiting consumption and population. Good design also contributes to surpluses beyond just sustainability. Those surpluses should be re-invested in the two ethics above leading to overall abundance.

An probably the most important:

Assume responsibility for yourself and your family - You need to take care of yourself and your family first. If you are not meeting your own needs, how can you help others or the environment?

Notice none of the ethics involve a political view. Nor do they involve any metaphysics like religion. They are based on observable results.

If you try and follow these ethics, you're probably not going to mess anything up, and you will probably improve your and the worlds health.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 20 Oct 2014, 05:24:09

True Careinke, It really is not too complicated in so much as what we value we take care of. Meaning if we value Earth we will take care of it. If we value others we will take care of them and if we value ourselves we will take care of ourselves. Yet in view of observable results throughout history to this day we have not demonstrated we value others or the earth! Better late then never.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Open Topic Discussion