Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is exposure to pollution increasing human longevity?

Is exposure to pollution increasing human longevity?

Unread postby Deputy Barnes » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 20:34:19

From 1990 to 2014 the average lifespan of a Chinese peasant increased from 68 to 75 years. China is now trailing slightly behind the United States in life expectancy (78 years). It would appear that life expectancy has stagnated in the United States, yet all indicators suggest it will continue to rise in China for years to come, perhaps overtaking Japan.

This is interesting because China is one of the most heavily polluted nations on Earth. Emissions from coal power plants, improper sanitation of drinking water, direct discharge of industrial byproducts in to rivers and streams, the notoriously toxic electronics industry and algae blooms are all endemic to the Chinese national experience. One could go on and on, but most people are pretty well aware of how polluted China really is.

Despite all of this pollution, life expectancy is rising. It is rising at a rate faster than it did in comparatively clean advanced countries like the USA. In fact, the last time the United States citizen's lifespan was increasing was back when it was still a fairly polluted country with heavy industries. Although America's pollution was never as bad as that of China's, there was a time, not long ago, when it was prevalent enough to warrant the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency.

As we study the chemical composition of pollutants we are beginning to learn that some of them do indeed have beneficial health effects. Many of these are carbon based pollutants like plastics. Xenoestrogens in composite materials do have cardioprotective effects, just like their natural equivalent estradiol -- is this perhaps why heart disease is such a potent killer among men in "clean" Western countries? Asian men are the number one uptakers of these compounds and have comparatively low incidence of heart disease.

Note that the most polluted advanced nation of them all (Japan) has enjoyed the most rapid increase in life expectancy. Japan used to have horribly polluted waters from the mining industries of old and even today is a dump. Mt Fuji, a UNESCO heritage site, is covered in trash; as are all of the beaches and waterways in that country.

Lifeforms which rely on carbon respiration (as opposed to oxygen intake) tend to live longer and are far more numerous on Earth. This is perhaps best demonstrated by trees which rely on carbon dioxide to survive, and have been known to live for thousands of years. Note that trees also excrete xenoestrogens in the form of pitch/sap - phenols and aromatic hydrocarbons. This also helps to increase lifespan by preventing aerobic (oxygen dependent) decomposition.

For years we have associated fresh air and "clean" water with long life and health but societies in the cleanest environments are the shortest lived and least healthy. Oxhgen-avoidant, carbon dependent organisms are the longest living, most numerous lifeforms on Earth. Societies which increase the number of carbon based "pollutants", especially in proportion to population density, live the longest. It should logically follow that the countries with the dirtiest, low-oxygen air and the most polluted water will go on to have the healthiest citizens. We are bearing witness to this in Asia.
"The most common lie is the lie that one tells to oneself" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Vote Republican.
Deputy Barnes
Permanently Banned

Re: Is exposure to pollution increasing human longevity?

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 21:02:41

Brilliant! I bet that will go viral on the Conservablogosphere.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 21:58:36

No, they're just not dirt poor any longer and don't have McDonalds available.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Deputy Barnes » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 22:10:50

jedrider wrote:No, they're just not dirt poor any longer and don't have McDonalds available.

Actually they do have McDonald's but you're right, much of their diet does consist of fish and rice raised in heavily PCB and mercury contaminated waters. They're also very fond of rotten food, another health booster I'll have to make a separate thread on.

"The most common lie is the lie that one tells to oneself" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Vote Republican.
Deputy Barnes
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 22:40:36

McDonalds may be available in Shanghai, but we're talking rural China. As disgusting as that fish looks, if we had to make a choice between McDonalds or that, which do you suppose we should choose?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Deputy Barnes » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 22:54:54

jedrider wrote:McDonalds may be available in Shanghai, but we're talking rural China. As disgusting as that fish looks, if we had to make a choice between McDonalds or that, which do you suppose we should choose?

You're saying that you would indeed choose to eat fish loaded with mercury, PCBs, killed by toxic algae and allowed to ferment in fetid water... Over McDonald's?

I'm starting to feel like a Messiah. :mrgreen:

Vote Republican.
Deputy Barnes
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 23:30:36

I suppose you're lucky enough to be able to afford WILD fish.

It's becoming a luxury for many of us.

Any ocean fish is contaminated with Mercury and now, Cesium, as well.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 01:15:14

Deputy Barnes wrote:I'm starting to feel like a Messiah. :mrgreen:

A brilliant inventor has come up with an unlimited source of clean energy:
LENR, Rossi and the ECAT.

Fortunately this has been suppressed by the polluting FF industry and Liberoid gubmint scientists who want to keep their $billions of grant funds flowing to their delusional "hot fusion" projects.

So we don't have to worry about our lifespans being reduced by eliminating of healthy pollutants.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Deputy Barnes » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 01:42:09

I'm down for this.

pstarr wrote:
Keith_McClary wrote:

Fortunately this has been suppressed by the polluting FF industry and Liberoid gubmint scientists who want to keep their $billions of grant funds flowing to their delusional "hot fusion" projects.

So we don't have to worry about our lifespans being reduced by eliminating of healthy pollutants.

Wow! Thanks for the stock tip, Keith! Where can I invest in ECAT? How about you Deputy? Are you in? Gee I hope so!

Vote Republican.
Deputy Barnes
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 01:45:17

pstarr wrote:
Keith_McClary wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the stock tip, Keith! Where can I invest in ECAT? How about you Deputy? Are you in? Gee I hope so!

Well, of course, being a "Messiah" he would not invest in something that would impair our health and lifespans by reducing beneficial pollution.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 02:32:08

From what I know, what has increased life expectancy rates is the use of oil and other material resources needed to increase goods and services, in turn needed for health care and food production.

Pollution increases the cost of health care. At the same time, the environmental damage that has taken place involves a global population that has only a small middle class. That small middle class needs more consumers to ensure higher sales and returns on investment.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 03:25:31

Im waiting for the thread about prisoners having longer life expectancy than if they weren't imprisoned.
So we should build more prisons and encourage people to commit more crimes to get in and live longer.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 05:25:31

Deputy Barnes wrote:I'm starting to feel like a Messiah Moron.

Fixed that for you.

I just had 5 siblings/step-siblings who were around 15 years younger than me, die within the last 2 years from cancer. They were all in their 50s. No doubt caused by the fallout (pollution) from the atmospheric nuclear tests that were taking place when they were born and during their early childhood.

You think you are just having fun being a troll, but there are real people out here that have suffered real losses.

You are an asshole and a troll and I can't quite understand why they have not banned you yet, since you have not added anything to the discussion here but have spent enormous amounts of time disrupting the threads.

I'm 71. Both my parents are still alive, my dad in his 90s, my mom in her late 80s. Do you REALLY think them losing children who were only in their 50s to cancer indicates an increased longevity? You are a Fucking Asshole.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 06:21:53

Shaved Monkey wrote:Im waiting for the thread about prisoners having longer life expectancy than if they weren't imprisoned.
So we should build more prisons and encourage people to commit more crimes to get in and live longer.

There is an element of truth in that, believe it or not!
A significant percentage of the prison population is made up of drugs gang members, the prisons often have members of all the main gangs segregated in different wings of the gaol so that they cant get at each other. Outside they frequently murder each other.

Plus the fact that they generally don't have access to the drugs that were harming their health on the outside.

So for some, they will survive longer while they're banged up!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 06:32:45

Came across that fact a few days back watching a doco on US prisons on TV.
Inside looked pretty bad but outside must be worse.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 06:53:00

Cid_Yama wrote:I just had 5 siblings/step-siblings who were around 15 years younger than me, die within the last 2 years from cancer. They were all in their 50s. No doubt caused by the fallout (pollution) from the atmospheric nuclear tests that were taking place when they were born and during their early childhood.

Cancer rates were on the rise long before nuclear weapons were developed. There are many changes over the last 100 or more years that have contributed to a higher cancer rate -- for example changes in our diet and the introduction of hundreds of thousands of man made chemicals into the environment.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KingM » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 07:03:15

It's quite an accomplishment when people on Peak Oil unite to agree that you've gone of the reservation.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 12:33:29

KingM wrote:It's quite an accomplishment when people on Peak Oil unite to agree that you've gone of the reservation.

Hey it was my suggestion:
Deputy Barnes wrote:
Keith_McClary wrote:And what about the positive health benefits of mold, microbes and chemicals - why do you want to filter those out?

You know what, you make an excellent point and I'm going to have to make a thread about that later this afternoon.

why-it-s-time-to-put-lead-back-in-gasoline-and-tapwater-t70403.html#p1214354
I'm looking forward to the mold chapter.

BTW, Dr. Deppity, have you anything to say about Peak Oil?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 13:27:45

You guys seem to be taking this guy seriously. He is just making shit up:
the most polluted advanced nation of them all (Japan) ... Japan used to have horribly polluted waters from the mining industries of old and even today is a dump.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate