Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Apparently some people still deny peak oil...

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Apparently some people still deny peak oil...

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 21:16:28

This is a video I made to address all of the peak oil deniers out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSVHbYx9fAs
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Apparently some people still deny peak oil...

Unread postby dashster » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 22:53:54

I wouldn't say some people. I would say most people, or rather, just about everybody. That is if you define Peak Oil as oil production peaking at a point in time at which we won't be prepared for it.
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 23:40:52

dashster wrote:I wouldn't say some people. I would say most people, or rather, just about everybody. That is if you define Peak Oil as oil production peaking at a point in time at which we won't be prepared for it.

That is true, but a lot of people deny that peak oil is actually a big problem. When in fact it could cause the collapse of industrialized civilization. In fact, I believe it will cause industrialized civilization to collapse.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 29 Oct 2014, 02:34:52

Very likely what will cause collapse is combinations of problems, i.e., peak oil and generally shortages for various resources (especially given the presence of JIT systems and only a few weeks' worth of necessities available in various towns and cities, including food, medicine, fuel, and even ammo), significant availability of armaments (including small arms), military forces itching to attack weak civilian populations, governments resorting to martial rule to control populations, polluted water and environmental damage, droughts, floods, and other natural disasters leading to crop destruction, etc., coupled with large populations, most who aren't prepared and who think that something or someone will save them immediately, effects of the spread of various diseases amplified by austerity measures, the breakdown of sanitation and health care, and so on.

It gets worse if industrial civilization is strongly linked to global capitalism, which in turn requires continuous economic growth made possible through more sales of goods and services to expanding markets.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 29 Oct 2014, 16:11:26

ralfy wrote:Very likely what will cause collapse is combinations of problems, i.e., peak oil and generally shortages for various resources (especially given the presence of JIT systems and only a few weeks' worth of necessities available in various towns and cities, including food, medicine, fuel, and even ammo), significant availability of armaments (including small arms), military forces itching to attack weak civilian populations, governments resorting to martial rule to control populations, polluted water and environmental damage, droughts, floods, and other natural disasters leading to crop destruction, etc., coupled with large populations, most who aren't prepared and who think that something or someone will save them immediately, effects of the spread of various diseases amplified by austerity measures, the breakdown of sanitation and health care, and so on.

When shit hits the fan, expect there to be massive scale cannibalism. When there is too many people and not enough food, then eating other may be the only option. This happens in nature all of the time when food shortages happen. Just because cannibalism may be a taboo doesn't mean people wouldn't break it when they have no other choice.

ralfy wrote:It gets worse if industrial civilization is strongly linked to global capitalism, which in turn requires continuous economic growth made possible through more sales of goods and services to expanding markets.

You got to be retarded as **** to believe infinite growth is possible on a finite planet. I guess that makes capitalists **** delusional retards.

Apparently there are people who ACTUALLY believe infinite growth is possible because they believe we can just go to other planets to exploit them of their natural resources. Too bad they wouldn't realize that the chances of us leaving this planet are impossible. There is no way we can send people to space colonies to colonize other planets because that would simply take too much resources. We don't have the technology to do that. And even if somehow develop that technology in the future, we would have destroyed ourselves long before we ever send people into space colonies to other planets and other solar systems.
Last edited by Tanada on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 00:01:04, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: profanity cut
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak Oil Discussion