Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When did you realize how important oil is??

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

When did you realize how important oil is??

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 02:21:48

I believe most people are oblivious to how important oil is to their lives. Everything we do is dependent on oil. Some people don't even realize that without oil, they probably wouldn't even exist. The exponential increase in population over the last century was in large part due to oil. Some argue that without oil, we can't even sustain our current population (i.e. Michael Ruppert). If oil is the reason we even exist, then I suppose it would be absolutely essential for everyone to understand what peak oil is. If oil is the reason we exist, then without oil you might not even exist.

I think everyone should be informed on the importance of oil. Also everyone should be informed on the importance of oil depletion. As uncomfortable of a topic peak oil may be, it needs to be addressed because without knowledge about peak oil and its consequences, then your chances of survival in the near future are very slim. The whole planet is facing a life-or-death situation, and everyone needs to know this in order to survive or improve your chances of survival.

Before researching about peak oil, I had absolutely no idea how important oil is to our daily lives. I only realized how important oil is after realizing that I would probably be starving to death without oil lol. I only realized how important oil is after realizing that without oil, we might not even be able to feed the world's entire population, because our modern agriculture is totally and utterly dependent on oil.

But I'm glad that I realized how important oil is because without this realization, I would be unlikely to survive the upcoming catastrophe.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: When did you realize how important oil is??

Unread postby inglorious » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 20:48:46

I'm not sure that knowing about peak oil will necessarily improve your chances. If you act on your knowledge then it may help, unfortunately knowing what the correct action to take is impossible as we don't know what mix of circumstances we'll get or what order we'll get them in.

Peak oil is an interest for me, I use what I read to try and understand how the world will play out. I also try and keep informed about many other subjects as oil is just one player in the mix.

TBH I'm not even sure a catastrophe will play out. I prepare for one as I believe there is a good chance one will occur in a decade or two at most, I still am required to engage in society though as if I didn't I would certainly suffer a personal catastrophe - it's hard to live in a city if you don't work and have no support network to catch you.
inglorious
Wood
Wood

Unread postby inglorious » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 20:55:03

Oh and I think I heard mention of peak oil maybe back around 2004, I perhaps started reading in more detail around 2010ish for no particular reason other than I remembered someone mentioning it to me and had time on my hands.
inglorious
Wood
Wood

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 21:08:01

inglorious wrote:I'm not sure that knowing about peak oil will necessarily improve your chances. If you act on your knowledge then it may help, unfortunately knowing what the correct action to take is impossible as we don't know what mix of circumstances we'll get or what order we'll get them in.

We can actually predict the outcomes of peak oil. So yes, we can prepare for it, to a certain extent.

inglorious wrote:Peak oil is an interest for me, I use what I read to try and understand how the world will play out. I also try and keep informed about many other subjects as oil is just one player in the mix.

I try to keep informed on the subject too. :)

inglorious wrote:TBH I'm not even sure a catastrophe will play out. I prepare for one as I believe there is a good chance one will occur in a decade or two at most, I still am required to engage in society though as if I didn't I would certainly suffer a personal catastrophe - it's hard to live in a city if you don't work and have no support network to catch you.

Peak oil will result in massive unemployment, food shortages and civil unrest. Prepare for the worst, my friend.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 22:05:14

Read Moby Dick and understand that is what people will do to get oil.

That's how valuable it is.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby inglorious » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 23:30:45

@Desumaidan As to point one, we can make predictions but as many have found those predictions have often turned out to be wrong. The one thing we know is that at some point oil production will peak and begin to decline - we also know that there'll always be oil left in the ground simply because it will be so difficult getting it out of the ground it won't be worth it.

As to how peak oil will play out that's also up for debate. You have the cornucopians who believe we'll find a solution and avoid all/some of the nastiness and you have others who say there'll be the nastiness but it won't be a world ending event. I kind of agree with the second view, 'some' societies will adapt to lower oil consumption. Poverty levels will increase, economies will suffer, food production will fall but governments will lay down the law and hold things together - police state basically, lots of people considered undesirable will be allowed to fall by the wayside but the core of society will be maintained.

Unfortunately that's if only peak oil plays out, throw some other events in to the mix and all bets are off.
inglorious
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 23:39:33

Newfie - Researching Japanese Admiral Yamamoto's comment regarding the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor might also give some measure. Checking out pics (http://www.konformist.com/images/2004/casket.jpg) of those shiny metal boxes coming thru Dover might also offer a hint.

A long sad list of other examples, eh?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak Oil Discussion