Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How long can our deeply interconnected systems remain viable

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

How long can our deeply interconnected systems remain viable

Unread postby GHung » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 13:12:54

Millions of websites hit by Drupal hack attack

Millions of sites are managed and updated using Drupal

Up to 12 million websites may have been compromised by attackers who took advantage of a bug in the widely used Drupal software.

The sites use Drupal to manage web content and images, text and video.

Drupal has issued a security warning saying users who did not apply a patch for a recently discovered bug should "assume" they have been hacked.

It said automated attacks took advantage of the bug and can let attackers take control of a site.
'Shocking' statement

In its "highly critical" announcement, Drupal's security team said anyone who did not take action within seven hours of the bug being discovered on 15 October should "should proceed under the assumption" that their site was compromised.....

...."Attackers may have copied all data out of your site and could use it maliciously," said the notice. "There may be no trace of the attack." It also provided a link to advice that would help sites recover from being compromised.
Mark Stockley, an analyst at security firm Sophos, said the warning was "shocking".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29846539

Some of you may recall that The Oil Drum was/is a Drupal site. While supposedly 'mothballed', it's still open to view articles and comments from when it was active.
My question is; how long can the internet and our vast interconnected systems; banking/finance, energy systems, JIT inventory systems, pretty much everything, remain viable? It's apparent that the war on information systems is escallating and that systems managers are playing wack-a-mole with the hackers.

We often discuss that energy systems are industrial societies' Achilles' heel, but are we ignoring what is actally the global macro-system's greatest vulnerability? Is NoNet more of a threat than SkyNet?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: How long can our deeply interconnected systems remain vi

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 13:46:34

I just met a guy on a plane working in IT security. His strong opinion, right or wrong, was that all our systems are under constant attack funded by hostile governments.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 14:24:14

The luddite in me would be overjoyed if this all came crashing down, but I admit I would miss
some of you :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 14:35:21

Ibon wrote:The luddite in me would be overjoyed if this all came crashing down, but I admit I would miss
some of you :)

That would mean we'd actually have to start meeting with one another face to face. No hiding behind avatars and having time to write down pithy if somewhat sarcastic remarks! I mean it's kind of frightening, especially for those under 30 that have never learned the skills of actual physical human interaction.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 15:00:10

Newfie wrote:I just met a guy on a plane working in IT security. His strong opinion, right or wrong, was that all our systems are under constant attack funded by hostile governments.

I also work in IT and the number of attacks on systems that I work with is quite astonishing!
Seldom from HIO's though, usually random botnets seeking new blood!

Social engineering is the biggest threat, usually via emails that contain fake invoices that accounts staff could open and infect their corporate network.

IT security is like an arms race, the most recent scare is called POODLE, so we've had to put a stop to that one!

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 16:42:45

HIO?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 16:48:47

Newfie wrote:HIO?

hostile Intelligence Organizations aka the "opposition!"
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 17:26:52

GHung wrote:Some of you may recall that The Oil Drum was/is a Drupal site. While supposedly 'mothballed', it's still open to view articles and comments from when it was active.
My question is; how long can the internet and our vast interconnected systems; banking/finance, energy systems, JIT inventory systems, pretty much everything, remain viable? It's apparent that the war on information systems is escallating and that systems managers are playing wack-a-mole with the hackers.

We often discuss that energy systems are industrial societies' Achilles' heel, but are we ignoring what is actally the global macro-system's greatest vulnerability? Is NoNet more of a threat than SkyNet?

Paraphrasing the author Larry Niven, it is easier to destroy than to create, so civilization itself is proof we keep destructive people in check most of the time.

When we lose the ability to slow or stop the destructive civilization crumbles. No telling when that will be.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 18:11:25

Looking around the state of the world I have come to think we are starting this downward trend now.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 19:29:10

Just a cheery reminder for all you people who live by the clock, at 2 AM tonight the USA transitions back to Standard Time by zones instead of Daylight Saving Time.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 20:23:22

Thanks for keeping is interconnected!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 05:04:35

It is pretty crazy to think that machines now control the machines that support our system to such an extent. I live somewhat removed from people on the day to day and get along fine. My jobs come in on a computer, get done on one and go out to still more; I get paid through the net, pay my bills online and buy stuff there - some of it is real eventually.

In fact sometime what is real is less real than what is on my machine! I know more about a hurricane in Bermuda than the weather out my window some days.

But yeah, I've read that America is always fighting the last war, IOW, arming ourselves to defend against the last defeat. It's why our guys got it so bad from the IEDs, our last real war was in the jungle, we weren't driving around town; why would you put armor on a jeep anyway? That's what tanks are for.

We all live in the flush of the new medium and just don't see the harm in connecting our step counter to our stock market account to our t-stat, front door lock and spillway gates.

You've all seen the vid of the train engine hack. Someday a true military objective will combine with a visionary geek and result in the Wernher Von Braun of cyber warfare. That is a hard thing to prepare for.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 22:34:57

The answer is about 2020 max. Our global economy will collapse in 2020. Our deeply interconnected system will collapse in 2020 when oil prices spike upwards to the point where noone can afford oil.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 04 Nov 2014, 09:10:35

DesuMaiden wrote:The answer is about 2020 max. Our global economy will collapse in 2020. Our deeply interconnected system will collapse in 2020 when oil prices spike upwards to the point where noone can afford oil.

It is courageous to pick a date. I say that to stroke my own ego because I did it about 4 times in the last decade and so far I have been wrong every time :razz:

That aside, oil prices will not rise until nobody can afford to buy it, that is not how markets work. Oil prices will rise until nobody is willing to buy all of the oil produced at that price. The producers will produce less oil until they sell everything they can produce at that price. They won't produce oil they can not sell, and if it costs they $133.33/bbl to produce it they won't sell it for less than that because they will go bankrupt and cease to produce anything if they do. If the price spikes up too fast like it did in 2008 people will not be able to adapt quickly enough and a crash will result, but unless something like World War III or a Carrington Event takes place people will muddle through doing the best they can with what they have to work with.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MD » Tue 04 Nov 2014, 09:15:16

Newfie wrote:I just met a guy on a plane working in IT security. His strong opinion, right or wrong, was that all our systems are under constant attack funded by hostile governments.

yep
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Return to Open Topic Discussion