Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

3d food printing is here

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

3d food printing is here

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 03:25:16

'Foodini' machine lets you print edible burgers, pizza, chocolate

This printed veggie burger shows the extrusion process in action.

and the finished product, a veggie burger sandwich, complete with printed cheese.

But it can also make sweet treats, like these macarons

'Foodini' machine lets you print edible burgers, pizza, chocolate

The printing process is slow, but faster than regular 3D printing. Other than being capable of creating complex designs, such as very detailed cake decorations or food arranged in unusual shapes, the Foodini can be useful for recipes that require precision and dexterity, like homemade pizza or filled pasta.

Currently, the device only prints the food, which must be then cooked as usual. But a future model will also cook the preparation and produce it ready to eat.

The idea also comes with a social element too. "There's a touchscreen on the front that connects to a recipe site in the cloud, so it's an internet-of-things, connected kitchen appliance," said Kucsma. Users will also be able to control the device remotely using a smartphone, and share their recipes with the community.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/06/tech/innovation/foodini-machine-print-food/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

This is the "food replicator" from star trek.

I think some of the food looks gross.. but.. this is the future. My prediction: 3d food printers will become the next "microwave" and we'll all wind up having one.

It'll have an oven built in and you just print what you want and it cooks it and there it is, and you stock it with cartridges like protein and various textures and flavors, a fiber cartridge, etc. etc.

And people will have fun like with desktop publishing, they'll make their own new foods never tasted before and you'll go on your phone app and download most downloaded recipes.

Basically the future 3d printers will break food down to it's smallest constituent parts, then print and cook the combinations on demand.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: 3d food printing is here

Unread postby MD » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 04:35:20

Yeah this shit is star trek amazing, right?

I have followed and contributed to this industry for 30 years. The visions we talked about around the water cooler in 1985 are NOTHING compared to where it's taken us.

It's "mind-blowing" in ways that Facebook ads can't even conceive of. OMG.

Star Trek Replicators in real life. Who knew?
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 06:12:02

I reckon people will just spread the ink on bread and by pass the machine de-constructed post post modern food trend.

Seriously though if they can print human food I wonder if they can print car food ?

,,,dont you hate the laws of thermodynamics sometimes
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 09:41:44

Ops one Shaved.

But, what if you just used something like Soylent Green for the basic input? You might achieve some better efficiency that way.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:33:18

This is really nothing new.

The CheezWiz portable device can print the "food" directly into your gullet. Perhaps it can be improved to be installed directly inline with your intestinal opening so the whole messy process of mouth-chew-swallow can be avoided. Tech is so cool.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:42:20

That is food like substance, not actual food. Food is when you take plants and animals, prepare them in some fashion like washing or cooking, and eat it. This is a chemical cocktail imitation of food.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:43:52

Subjectivist wrote:That is food like substance, not actual food. Food is when you take plants and animals, prepare them in some fashion like washing or cooking, and eat it. This is a chemical cocktail imitation of food.

Uh - yeah, that's why it's in "quotes" :roll: :wink: :lol:
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:02:51

dinopello wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:That is food like substance, not actual food. Food is when you take plants and animals, prepare them in some fashion like washing or cooking, and eat it. This is a chemical cocktail imitation of food.

I wasn't talking about just the cheese whizzzzz lol, all processed 'food' is chemical goop. That stuff will kill you, after eating it for my adult life I am pre-diabetic, among other problems.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:14:00

Subjectivist wrote:
dinopello wrote:

I wasn't talking about just the cheese whizzzzz lol, all processed 'food' is chemical goop. That stuff will kill you, after eating it for my adult life I am pre-diabetic, among other problems.

No argument here! I am skeptical of the health rationale of those vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free foods that rely on some tech process or chemicals to make it "work".

The first time I saw something like this I couldn't stop laughing

Textured Vegetable Protein (Water, soy protein concentrate, wheat protein), water, vegetable oil (sunflower and/or canola), egg whites, yeast extract, onions, potato starch, contains less than 2% of pea fiber, vitamins and minerals (potassium citrate (potassium), magnesium oxide, nicotinamide (Vitamin b3), ferric pyrophosphate (iron), zinc oxide, calcium pantothenate (vitamin b5), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin b1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), riboflavin (Vitamin b2), copper sulfate, cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12)), onion powder, malt extract, garlic, cultured dextrose, salt, guar gum, garlic powder, spices.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:16:24

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:41:05

Anyone who runs a printer knows that the cost of ink cartridges is by far the biggest part of running one. The key inputs will be soybeans, corn & wheat, perhaps tomatoes. Processed to the max, doled out in cartridges, etc.

Why not just make enchiladas?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 18:46:42

Yes.

That one from for years ago was a "concept design" from MIT:

The concept design was introduced by two graduate students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Fluid Interfaces Group Media Lab: designer/engineer in algorithmic image process development Amit Zoran, and designer and research assistant Marcelo Coelho.

Whereas the Foodini is a production model going on sale, and any bakery or restaurant that wants one can have it for the low low price of $1,000. Or just three easy monthly payments of $333. And, it gets better, they'll throw in a Ron Popeil sausage maker and bald spot hair spray for free! :lol:

Seriously.. the difference: 4 years ago was concept and prototype, now it's on the market and actually a thousand bucks is nothing as far as commercial kitchen equipment goes.

This could be great for people that do cakes or whatever, just that one narrow use. Stick the cake in the machine and push the button and let the computer do the intricate handwork, after you've done the CAD on the computer or downloaded a design.

My only poo poo comments on it all: the more complex 3d food has that weird "look" to it, and I'm pretty darn sure there's no way 3d printed cheese tastes like real cheese. BUT.. look how many people eat kraft slices, ya know? Truth is, we already eat like crap, 3d food will be huge.

And personally, I do not want to have to be buying "cartridges" for anything. I hate that. My sister loves this coffee maker that uses those stupid single use cartridges and for the life of me I cannot understand it, it winds up costing her so much more, what is the point. $12 coffee pot at Walmart and buy some good coffee and that's all you need.

Who the heck wants to buy a bunch of cartridges for anything, that always winds up costing more.

I want to be clear, I don't like this "foodini" -- but I'm just saying it is the future and I recognize that.

I don't think 3d food printing could ever replicate what a home cook can do with raw ingredients. Just how a bread machine can't make the same bread you can, with your own two hands.

And there are so many variables with cooking and technique, it really is chemistry -- a 3d food printer with some kind of oven couldn't replicate what you can get on a grill, or gas range versus electric, etc.

It'll be *different* kind of food, just as microwave food is different. I don't like it, I don't want one, I like to cook but the reality is that I'm also lazy half the time and eat a lot of pre packaged stuff that probably tastes and looks worse than 3d print food.

Just throwing it out there, love it or hate it, it's the future we'll all wind up having one.

I predict it will be a success, in the long run, because even if I am not a sheeple I know how sheeple are -- they would love this, downloading food designs on their phone app or making their own creations, and for some bizarre reason people do like "cartridges" just as with the coffee -- I don't get it, I don't understand it, but they like it and there is a massive profit in all of that.

Also, I predict this is the emergence of more food production automation on the smaller scale in general. Replacing workers in the bakery, and restaurants, computers and robots doing more of the work on up to finished product.

And then a robot server can bring it to your table, but there's nobody at the table because nobody has a darn job anymore or any money to buy the 3d printed food with. :lol: Sorry, that's another thread.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 19:05:18

dinopello wrote:Perhaps it can be improved to be installed directly inline with your intestinal opening so the whole messy process of mouth-chew-swallow can be avoided. Tech is so cool.[/size][/b][/color]

Well yeah, there ya go -- if people will eat cheese whiz and the crap that gets served at fast food joints, and all the other crap we eat -- they will LOVE 3d print food.

This is a massive whole new field opening up.

As soon as the machines get good enough, somebody with some investment capital and smarts can open a franchise chain of "redbox" like automated food kiosks.

People would love that stuff, selecting what they want on the touch screen and watching it print.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 19:10:18

Good, there are too many of us anyway.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 20:14:59

I wonder if it can print nuts with the shell on. For snacking I much prefer with the shells on - it gives you something to do and I don't eat them as fast. For baking it would good to have them printed shelled.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Henriksson » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 20:16:40

pstarr wrote:Will there be organic cartridges? How about GMO-free choices? I am looking forward to an ice-cream cartridge and a 3D martooni? Make mine with ravioli . . . please! How does this fit into the Doomstead? Do we can the cartridge? You know those printers that use water to etch metal? If we combined the two, then I could 3D print right inside my stomach, and then I could eat another meal at the same time. Wow. Fun.

Maybe the next step after the 3D food printer is the Food X-tractor™: Eat twice... Feels nice... One price!
Henriksson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 20:34:59

pstarr wrote:How does this fit into the Doomstead?

What you need for your doomstead is the gas electric generator first, solar panels on your roof second, then buy a 3d printer that can print guns. :lol:

And keep an eye on developments about cyberattacks, and maybe get a fireproof safe so you're not caught flatfooted when all your money goes poof in a cyberattack and the ATM don't work no more.

And rubber gloves.. and bleach.. and masks.. for the ebola.

Get all that done, THEN get the 3d macaroon printer.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 22:39:40

Macdonalds manufacturing some more ink for its "chicken" Macnugget printer
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion