Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Alaskan Storm could be stronger than Sandy

Alaskan Storm could be stronger than Sandy

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 08:10:58

THE edge of a rapidly intensifying storm began pummelling parts of Alaska’s Aleutian Islands on Friday, signalling its arrival by lashing the western tip of the island chain with hurricane-force winds.

Sustained winds of 70mph (110kph) and gusts up to 96mph (155kph) were recorded on Friday morning on Shemya Island, where 120 people had locked themselves indoors to wait out the storm.

The brunt of the storm — the remains of Typhoon Nuri — is expected to pass into the Bering Sea and weaken, but it will still push unseasonably frigid air into much of the US next week, the National Weather Service said.

Shemya Island is where the US military operates Eareckson Air Station, which serves mainly as an early warning radar installation. Acting manager Don Llewellyn said no one is going outside, but people can see light poles waving.

Forecasters said waves could be as high as 50 feet (15 meters), prompting ships and fishing vessels to get out of the storm’s path or seek protected harbours.

The storm is expected to surpass the intensity of 2012’s Superstorm Sandy and has the potential to be one of the most intensive to ever hit the North Pacific, meteorologists said.

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Alaskan Storm could be stronger than Sandy

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 09:22:52

Interesting.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Paulo1 » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:52:19

yeah, I have been following that as well. At least it is in a sparsely populated area where folks are used to horendous weather and have the means and experience to withstand it. Can you imagine if this hit Vancouver or Seattle?

We are looking forward to a week of clear and cold on the BC wet coast thanks to this storm. Glad to live west of the Rockies for this week. Calgary supposed to hit -18C by Sunday. We might hit -2C by Wed...just right.

Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 13:26:10

This shows a good animated view of the hemispheric impact over the next 10 days ...

http://globalweatherlogistics.com/seaic ... rctic.html
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 15:13:09

Lake Texoma has a chance for a light dusting of snow Wed night-Thu morning with a high of 42 for Thursday. It's not a great chance, but it would be the earliest I've seen around here by about 2 weeks.

About 20 years ago we had an ice storm the night before Thanksgiving.

That animation showed the dividing line between hot and cold had very narrow bands right over our head. That could actually trigger an ice storm depending how it interacts.

Remember, In Texas, if there is any chance of frozen precipitation in the forecast, your presence at the grocery store is mandatory.

That was on a flyer someone gave me titled "things people new to Texas need to know," when I first moved here.

I laugh my ass off seeing them filling their carts with a month's worth of groceries every time it snows.

One year there was an ice storm that extended all the way down to Austin. A news crew has set up with a slightly elevated section of freeway with a sharp curve in the background.

These people weren't slowing down. Those cars were launching off the freeway.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:12:21

Cid_Yama wrote:One year there was an ice storm that extended all the way down to Austin. A news crew has set up with a slightly elevated section of freeway with a sharp curve in the background.

These people weren't slowing down. Those cars were launching off the freeway.

No state has a monopoly on bad driving practices. Here in So Cal I don't even like to drive when it rains, and feel like I'm taking my life in my own hands when I get on a wet freeway. People will be flying down the road at +80MPH only 20 feet behind the car in front of them! :(
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:19:21

Coastal Noth Carolina in snow is similar.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dissident » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 21:10:25

vox_mundi wrote:This shows a good animated view of the hemispheric impact over the next 10 days ...

A thing to note from this video is how disturbed the polar air mass is. Pools of cold air that are trying to form over Siberia are being flushed away. If you go back 30 years, this sort of pattern was not present. The cold air was less disturbed and the polar front jet was strong (though meandering). This jet acted as a dynamical wall keeping out eddies from lower latitudes and keeping in the polar air.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 15:57:18

dissident wrote:
vox_mundi wrote:This shows a good animated view of the hemispheric impact over the next 10 days ...

A thing to note from this video is how disturbed the polar air mass is. Pools of cold air that are trying to form over Siberia are being flushed away. If you go back 30 years, this sort of pattern was not present. The cold air was less disturbed and the polar front jet was strong (though meandering). This jet acted as a dynamical wall keeping out eddies from lower latitudes and keeping in the polar air.

These polar incursions will have multiple impacts ...

Jet stream shift 'could prompt harsher winters'
... rising Arctic temperatures are directly linked to melting ice caps. "The sea ice cover acts as a lid which separates the ocean from a colder atmosphere," Serreze told the conference. But if the lid is removed, then warmth contained in the water rises into the atmosphere.

This warming trend and the shifting jet stream will have a dire impact on agriculture, especially in the farm-rich middle-latitudes in the United States.

Jerry Hatfield, head of the National Laboratory for Agriculture and Environment in the midwestern state of Iowa, warned that this is not a phenomenon that affects only the United States. "Look around the world—we produce the bulk of our crops around this mid-latitude area," he said.

The main impact on agriculture and livestock will not come from small temperature changes, but rather from temperature extremes and the weather patterns that hold them in place for longer periods of time.

More frequent extreme and adverse weather conditions threaten Europe's wheat production
European wheat production areas have to prepare for greater harvest losses in the future when global warming will lead to increased drought and heat waves in southern Europe, and wet and cool conditions in the north, especially at the time of sowing. More frequent extreme weather conditions in Europe also threaten global food security since it produces almost a third of the world's wheat.

Of particular concern is the finding that the probability of multiple adverse events occurring within one season is projected to increase sharply by mid-century. This poses particular challenges to plant breeders and crop scientists.

"The results are very alarming, given the fact that Europe produces 29 per cent of the world's wheat. In recent years we have witnessed extraordinary and extreme weather events that have impacted grain production in key agricultural areas. These phenomena have been among the main reasons for the growing food shortage and food price spikes," says Reimund Rötter, a research professor at MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 20:36:28

It can go the other way too, back in March 2012 Michigan and Ohio broke all sorts of heat records with it hitting 80 degrees F frequently because then the jet was pulling warm air north here and dumping the cold air in Siberia.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate