Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why did we start burning fossil fuels?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Why did we start burning fossil fuels?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 15:52:54

I heard it was because in Europe they were running out of wood, so they decided to burn fossil fuels to make up for the lack of wood. They were using coal at first as a substitute for wood. Coal was burned to produce heat and later electricity. I know that the Industrial Revolution wouldn't have started if it wasn't for the fact that mankind started using fossil fuels. So why did people start burning fossil fuels for energy?
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Why did we start burning fossil fuels?

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 16:03:07

The earliest phases of the industrial revolution were water powered. The principal driver was the mechanisation of weaving and some other manufacturing processed and all the factories were originally built next to fast flowing rivers that could be diverted via water wheels to drive the machinery.

The first (that I know of) use of coal for energy rather than heat was for pumping.
The earliest steam engines were developed to pump water out of the coal mines as flooding limited the amount of coal that could be extracted before the mines were abandoned due to flooding.

Once the steam engine was developed, other uses were soon found for it eventually it was used for locomotion and the rest is history.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GregT » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 16:44:09

Coal use by the Chinese can be traced back to 3400 BC. They used it to smelt copper as early as 1000 BC. People have been burning coal ever since they found out that it could be burned. It is even believed that cavemen burned coal for heat.
GregT
Coal
Coal

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 16:52:04

GregT wrote:Coal use by the Chinese can be traced back to 3400 BC. They used it to smelt copper as early as 1000 BC. People have been burning coal ever since they found out that it could be burned. It is even believed that cavemen burned coal for heat.

My bad. I didn't think people started using coal until the late 18th century. I didn't know that people have been using coal for much longer than the beginning of the industrial revolution.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 00:46:51

Regarding American oil derivatives specifically, the discovery of kerosene distillation was what started the first oil rushes in the latter half of the 19th century. Most people had been using wood, coal, and hard-to-acquire whale oil for lighting and heat. Kerosene provided the first cheap alternative energy source brought the Rockefellars to power.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 03:24:33

ChilPhil1986 wrote:Regarding American oil derivatives specifically, the discovery of kerosene distillation was what started the first oil rushes in the latter half of the 19th century. Most people had been using wood, coal, and hard-to-acquire whale oil for lighting and heat. Kerosene provided the first cheap alternative energy source brought the Rockefellars to power.

The whale oil thing is actually a myth. In the early to mid 1800's the most common lamp fuel was a blend of distilled alcohol and turpentine made from distilled pine wood. The alcohol made plenty of heat but the flame was invisible, the turpentine the as added to make the flame yellow. Whale oil gave your home a lovely smell when burned in lamps so it was used by the wealthy and on special occasions by the middle class. When the USA broke into Civil War an alcohol tax was passed to fund it and lamp spirits became very expensive. Kerosene, originally distilled from coal, became cheaper than 'lamp spirits' even though it smelled much worse than whale oil. Demand for Kerosene shot way up and those nifty new petroleum wells that had been drilled for lubricants right before the war became very profitable. It took a couple decades before more kerosene was made from petroleum than coal, in most of the 1800's it was called coal oil with good reason.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 07:34:38

I remember the smell of kerosene heaters when we went to visit our poorer relatives in the 60s
http://a4.img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/uplo ... 08_026.JPG
its amazing more people didnt die
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Strummer » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 07:45:50

Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 08:04:09

Strummer wrote:http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/09/peat-and-coal-fossil-fuels-in-pre-industrial-times.html

Interesting that the article concentrates on the low countries, we still use turf in commercial quantities here.
http://www.bordnamona.ie/ (the company is diversifying into biomass and alternative energy)
http://youtu.be/hMbTpJYXMy0 this is how we get out turf.
This morning I filled up the turf boiler and now the kids are having a shower that was heated using turf.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:12:21

dolanbaker wrote:
Strummer wrote:http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/09/peat-and-coal-fossil-fuels-in-pre-industrial-times.html

Interesting that the article concentrates on the low countries, we still use turf in commercial quantities here.
http://www.bordnamona.ie/ (the company is diversifying into biomass and alternative energy)
This morning I filled up the turf boiler and now the kids are having a shower that was heated using turf.

Took me a minute to translate, what you call turf we call peat. Not much peat gets burned in the USA, too much wood, coal, oil and natural gas available. How long does it take for the 'turf' to dry so you can burn it efficiently? I used to work as a groundskeeper so when you say Turf I automatically picture sod being laid to cover a bare spot.

http://youtu.be/CL3gcFg668E

A regular strip is rolled and stacked, the surface area unrolled is two meters long and half a meter wide.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:31:16

After it's cut and extruded onto the ground we usually leave it a couple of weeks then go and turn or stack it (some people turn it and leave it for another week) to dry the other side. Then we leave it another month before throwing it into a trailer to take home.

The timings are totally weather dependent and in a good year it's possible to get two or even three cuts.
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:23:20

Desu, IMO, humans will burn anything that burns, even shit! And we will continue burning everything that burns until we completely run out of available combustible materials. The only thing that could keep us from burning stuff would be the total lack of combustible materials. We love burning stuff, man. It is in our genes, we are all budding pyromaniacs.

We will burn the biosphere to total destruction. People who think humans will make it through this thing are mostly people who have kids and can't handle the truth.

"Total destruction is the only solution
And there ain't no use
No one can stop it now
I say, there is no use
Nobody can stop it now!"

Bob Marley
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:56:26

Using dried dung as a fuel has been going on since time began and is still common in parts of Africa.
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:18:24

dolanbaker wrote:

Another video, but this one is of the machines that cut our turf http://youtu.be/StQ7bGoRF8w
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Mon 10 Nov 2014, 02:48:20

Subjectivist wrote:
ChilPhil1986 wrote:Regarding American oil derivatives specifically, the discovery of kerosene distillation was what started the first oil rushes in the latter half of the 19th century. Most people had been using wood, coal, and hard-to-acquire whale oil for lighting and heat. Kerosene provided the first cheap alternative energy source brought the Rockefellars to power.

The whale oil thing is actually a myth. In the early to mid 1800's the most common lamp fuel was a blend of distilled alcohol and turpentine made from distilled pine wood. The alcohol made plenty of heat but the flame was invisible, the turpentine the as added to make the flame yellow. Whale oil gave your home a lovely smell when burned in lamps so it was used by the wealthy and on special occasions by the middle class. When the USA broke into Civil War an alcohol tax was passed to fund it and lamp spirits became very expensive. Kerosene, originally distilled from coal, became cheaper than 'lamp spirits' even though it smelled much worse than whale oil. Demand for Kerosene shot way up and those nifty new petroleum wells that had been drilled for lubricants right before the war became very profitable. It took a couple decades before more kerosene was made from petroleum than coal, in most of the 1800's it was called coal oil with good reason.

You mean the History channel fed me a myth?

Serves me right, I guess.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 10 Nov 2014, 04:27:41

ChilPhil1986 wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:

You mean the History channel fed me a myth?

Serves me right, I guess.

Primitive lighting sources are kind of a hobby of mine. I make my own candles and have played around with making oil lamps. In the process I ended up studying the history of lighting before electricity. I was shocked to learn the real history of the whale oil/kerosene lamp.

Realistically most of the literate people of the era were of the upper middle class and elite. This has lead to an information bias, most of the written records are about what life was like for them, not the average Joe/Jane. The used expensive fuel in fancy lamps, so that is what the mention in diaries and works of literature. They also made up around 5 percent of the total population.

On the other hand if you look at the amount of whale oil sold in any city in Europe or North America it quickly becomes clear how limited the supply was compared to the lighting needs of the population.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:28:16

This is interesting. I was hoping to stumble on a lighting and heating source that wasn't fossil fuel dependent yet avoided the necessity of hacking down a ton of lumber every winter. I am of the conviction that we will need to be looking to the history books to find ways to supply the benefits petroleum and coal bring us at present. I will be looking for this alcohol/pine tree recipe you speak of.
Last edited by ChilPhil1986 on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 14:04:27, edited 1 time in total.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 10 Nov 2014, 13:18:09

ChilPhil1986 wrote:This is interesting. I am was hoping to stumble on a lighting and heating source that wasn't fossil fuel dependent yet avoided the necessity of hacking down a ton of lumber every winter. I am of the conviction that we will need to be looking to the history books to find ways to supply the benefits petroleum and coal bring us at present. I will be looking for this alcohol/pine tree recipe you speak of.

You should find this interesting then,
Chapter IX. Alcohol As A Source Of Light, Heat, And Motive Power. Alcohol As Illuminant

Tho use of alcohol for lighting purposes dates from the earlier part of the nineteenth century. Its non-luminous flame was rendered luminous by an admixture of terpenes or other hydrocarbons. Turpentine was chiefly employed for the purpose, but camphor, coal-tar naphtha, and shale oil were also used. The product was variously known as camphene or camphine, gasogene, 'camphorated gas," and ' burning fluid "; and previously to the introduction of petroleum for lighting purposes, about the year 1860, large quantities of alcohol were employed in making these illuminating mixtures.

The names "camphene" and "camphine" were also applied to rectified turpentine, which itself was used for burning. Turpentine oil alone, however, burns with a flame which, though luminous, is very smoky. When mixed with about four parts of alcohol, turpentine gives a flame which is still luminous, whilst the smokiness is much diminished. According to R. F. Herrick1 such a mixture was introduced by Webb into the United States in the year 1833, but the weakness of the only alcohol obtainable by him caused some difficulties with the product. Illuminants of like character were also being produced in Great Britain and France at about the same time, or a little earlier. A patent granted to Ludersdorf of Berlin in the year 1834 describes a mixture made with 95 per cent. alcohol, of which four volumes were used with one volume of rectified spirits of turpentine. The fluid was burned in a lamp provided with a wick, and the lamp was lighted by igniting a little alcohol placed in a cup surrounding the wick tube.

http://chestofbooks.com/food/beverages/ ... GDyCd08KrU#ixzz3Ige6JaZ8
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby tom_s2 » Mon 10 Nov 2014, 17:08:32

desumaiden:

I heard it was because in Europe they were running out of wood, so they decided to burn fossil fuels to make up for the lack of wood. They were using coal at first as a substitute for wood.

Many early steam engines ran off wood, not coal. Part of early industrialism ran off wood.

For example, the famous steamboats of the Mississippi river used wood as fuel, not coal, because the boats didn't have to carry their own fuel that way. When the boat was running out of fuel, it would stop by the banks of the Mississippi (river boats are flat-bottomed and so could approach the banks) and then someone would get out and chop down a tree for fuel. This led to deforestation near the banks of the Mississippi.

The British started switching from wood to coal because Britain was deforested. Britain used be covered in dense forests but those were mostly gone by the end of the 19th century.

There have been small uses of fossil fuels since antiquity. For example, the Persians used to collect oil from natural seeps and use it for various things.

-Tom S
tom_s2
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion