Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

entertainmant

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

entertainmant

Unread postby aldente » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 15:49:33

should you be stranded on a lonly island for the rest of your days - what kind of entertainment would you choose?

For me it would be unlimited access to Greg Bishops archives of Radio Mysterioso.

(And get this - I have NO interest in UFO's - never had never will - hence I have no negative reaction, once they bring up this topic). I simply DON'T care.

It is the way this guy chooses his words, his language that is so striking - now, the so called intelligence agencies claim to collect "intelligence". However, Greg Bishop DISPLAYS intelligence - he is source and the people that he interviews all fit in - thanks Southern California for such a genius.

aldente
Permanently Banned

Re: entertainmant

Unread postby aldente » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:04:36

ok - in case one needs a movie that can be watched over and over here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b3Zp2U4jlw

Foxfur by Packard Damon
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:26:27

aldente wrote:ok - in case one needs a movie that can be watched over and over here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b3Zp2U4jlw

Foxfur by Packard Damon

Thank for posting that -- as someone who has "seen it all," I appreciate seeing something I have definitely never seen before. :lol:

Skip ahead to 23:50:

It's like hamsters going round in a cage. Why? Because we've reached a brick wall and do nothing but reach to the past to recycle. We have these belief systems which are nothing more than programs.

I actually think that dude's right. :lol: That's the post-modern age in general, no? When it's all been done before, and all you can do is do it all over again.

And going back much further, it all traces to the hero epic and universal themes Joseph Campbell talked about, it's all the same old sh*t over and over again.

A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.[3]

In laying out the monomyth, Campbell describes a number of stages or steps along this journey. The hero starts in the ordinary world, and receives a call to enter an unusual world of strange powers and events (a call to adventure). If the hero accepts the call to enter this strange world, the hero must face tasks and trials (a road of trials), and may have to face these trials alone, or may have assistance. At its most intense, the hero must survive a severe challenge, often with help earned along the journey. If the hero survives, the hero may achieve a great gift (the goal or "boon"), which often results in the discovery of important self-knowledge. The hero must then decide whether to return with this boon (the return to the ordinary world), often facing challenges on the return journey. If the hero is successful in returning, the boon or gift may be used to improve the world (the application of the boon).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

To answer the thread question..

I really can't think of an answer. I don't like to re-read the same books. Is there internet and electricity on the desert isle? I'd bring peakoil.com com, I suppose.

Kerbal space program -- I can tinker with that forever.

But if I were on a desert isle, I'd need to be tinkering with shelter and survival and not pixel rockets.

I guess this is a "what entertainment could you watch over and over" thread.

I find myself watching a movie called "Lost in Translation" every so often, over the years:

Lost In Translation (Trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXjObmziEk

I just like the mood of it.

And I watch this one again every now and then, wonderful German film -- really one of the best movies I've ever seen:

P.S. I'm way off topic now and onto space again, but Joseph Campbell reminds me of it -- it's another reason humanity needs to keep pushing into space. It's the oydyssey, the hero epic, it's what we've always done -- our civilization needs the frontier. The adventure into the unknown, and back again, returning with new knowledge and understanding.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 18:56:56

aldente wrote:should you be stranded on a lonly island for the rest of your days - what kind of entertainment would you choose?

House building,fishing,gardening,swimming,making stuff with sticks and twigs,cooking and lots of doing nothing and enjoying it.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aldente » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 15:53:49

just listen to these two genious in discussion for instance:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5104 ... 79cvq0.jpg

You Americans don't value what you have on your soil !

I am writing this from Germany and the Cherry Blossoms Doris Dörrie movie I did not see (the trailer though, thanks to the input Sixstrings).

Supposedly there are 52 states in the US of A. The 51st state certainly is Germany (absorbed after WW2).

Which one is No. 52?
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 17:42:54

aldente wrote:I am writing this from Germany and the Cherry Blossoms Doris Dörrie movie I did not see (the trailer though, thanks to the input Sixstrings).

It's just one of my favorite movies. It's got all the plot elements needed for a good solid story, namely that the protagonist suffers, and has a transformative change and by the end of the story is 180 degrees different from where he began at the beginning of the story.

And good acting, and direction, and a travel adventure from Germany to Japan, you put all that together and that's a good movie.

The protagonist works for a water utility. He eats an apple and a sandwich for lunch every day, that his wife packs. He goes to work, does the same exact thing, every day for 30 years or whatever. He's *boring*. Does not step outside his comfort zone, won't do new things.

His wife had some dreams but gave them up. She got into Japanese butoh dancing at one point, and the protagonist dismisses that as silly stuff and wants nothing to do with it.

So one day, the wife is called in by the husband's doctors. They tell her he's got cancer and eight months to live. So then she doesn't tell him, she takes some time to soak that in and deal with it. And he just keeps going to work every day, eating his apple a day and sandwich and pushing papers.

She talks about taking a vacation (she knows he's dying, he doesn't), maybe to Japan. He says no to that, too adventurous, but they wind up going up to baltics for beach holiday or whatever that coast is up north in Europe.

So while on holiday, the wife dies! Unexpectedly, in her sleep.

She's the only one that knew he had cancer, she hadn't told anyone else yet. So now he goes through the process of the funeral and grieving, and he doesn't even know he's only got months to live.

But all that isn't the point of the story. It's a story about grief, losing a spouse or loved one, and how devastating that is, and transformation that comes from that and how you aren't the same after.

So -- the protagonist retires on the spot. No more doing the same thing every day, apple and sandwich a day, punching the clock. Now that she is gone, the husband feels bad he never did take her to Japan. And questions if he ever knew her, at all. He packs her clothes up in suitcases, and he heads off to Japan -- the first adventurous thing this man ever did in his life.

They actually have a son working in Japan, so he stays with the son. But he's been as distant with his kids all these years too, and he's a bit of a nuisance.

Then one day, wandering around a park, he meets a Japanese gril doing butoh dancing (what his wife liked so much, along with her Japanese books and always wanting to see Mt. Fuji but she never got to).

They have a nice quirky little friendship. She lost her mother the year before. So anyhow, he finally goes to Mt. Fuji and rents a lake house type of thing.

One of the final scenes of the movie is him putting on the butoh dancing makeup, and his wife's negilige and robe (sounds weird, but if you have experienced death or know those who have then you know how that is.. my grandpa kept my grandma's clothes for the rest of his life. Nobody could touch them.)

He does the butoh dancing, on the lake by Mt. Fuji. So there is the 180 degree change in this character -- at the start of the movie, he couldn't even stand to sit with his wife and watch a butoh dance in Germany that she wanted to see. And now here he is butoh dancing with japanese makeup on.

Here's that scene (I don't think this whole movie is on youtube). His wife is dancing with him, in his imagination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imqoVKiTRfc

And then he collapses, dead, there on the lake by Mt. Fuji.

Here's the scene where he meets the Japanese girl, and she explains butoh dancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43moMzphGG8
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion