Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Creationism

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: What percentage of the population knows about peak oil?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 15:55:39

pstarr wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:
wildbourgman wrote:Here's a better question what percentage of the American population know what oil is ?

I am pretty sure everyone knows what oil is.
You might be surprised how superficial their understanding it. (Oil might come from the olden times, around 6,000 BC if I am not mistaken.) But I'd be willing to bet most believe it was dinosaurs. And kids with rodeo hats. :lol:

Oil wasn't formed by dead dinosaurs. Oil was formed by dead algae/plankton
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 16:22:50

pstarr wrote:I know that Desu. I am an Expert, I was being snarky facetious ha ha funny. :razz:

I was actually commenting on American right-wing ignorance, the belief held by almost half of the US population that evolution is a left-wing conspiracy to disgrace the Christian God. These folks think that everything on Planet Earth was created 6,000 years ago in a great pooooooooof! of God's Good Clean Christian Goodness. Dinosaurs, pickup truck, rodeos, oil, everything came into existance at the same time.

I know. I am being snarky again. Can't help myself because I am surrounded everywhere by American MORONS :-x

Yeah there are actually people who believe in Young Earth Creationism. Yes there are people out there that actually believe the world is only 6000-10,000 years old.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 16:53:53

pstarr wrote:They are mostly Americans, right?

I believe that is usually the case
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:10:11

Kinda makes you proud, don't it! :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:20:07

Newfie wrote:Kinda makes you proud, don't it! :-D

Not really because I am Canadian and not American.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:23:11

How do I say this gently? 80% of the 1 Billion Muslims on this planet believe in young Earth creationism which is a wee bit more people than the 100 Million or so literalist Christians in America.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Synapsid » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:17:39

Subjectivist,

80% of Muslims believe in young-Earth creationism? I didn't know it was that high. Can you give a source?

Thanks.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 19:56:52

Synapsid wrote:Subjectivist,

80% of Muslims believe in young-Earth creationism? I didn't know it was that high. Can you give a source?

Thanks.

To be more precise, the vast majority of Muslims in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan are young earth creationists and those countries have a fairly high percentage of the World Muslim population. The more westernized Muslims in the America's have a lower percentage of young earth creationists. For country by country details this link is a very long document PDFs.
http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/w ... report.pdf
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby wildbourgman » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 21:59:21

Who really cares how many of them believe in young Earth creationism ? How many of them are willing to strap a bomb to themselves and blow it up in my presence ? That's the question folks in the west have about Muslims.

I'd be willing to bet that the bomb strappers are also young Earthers.

I'd also think that there may be Christian right wingers and libertarians could also realize that resources are finite, but some of them might not be concerned. Real Christians in theory wouldn't idolize a resource and be less concerned with worldly thoughts when it's living in God's word that's priority one (I don't know many of these folks). Libertarians would say that the free market will find a way and not be so concerned about peak oil being distructive to our society (I also don't know many of these folks either).
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Re: Creationism

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 18:22:07

I don't think "creationism" is an issue anymore these days, in the States.

And about darn time. When was the "monkey trial", 70 darn years ago?

We've got other problems in the world now, who has time to argue over creationism.

As for Catholics, the Pope seems to believe in the big bang and evolution. He's on the right track there -- the ministry of Christ never had anything to do with science to start with, that's not the POINT of it.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 19:09:54

Whether you practice religion or belittle it, the truth of the matter is that most people do not care anymore, and watch cable sports in preference to attending church. When one surveys any area in the US, the number of people who claim to attend church is an incredible 8X to 15X the actual number that do so. Which actually means that more people lie about attending church than lie about sex.

That's right, there are more people worshipping a football than either the Christian or Muslim deity. Anybody focussing on religion nowadays as a major element of modern culture rather than organized sports, video media, and the internet is simply missing the mark. This whole thread is actually moot if you believe that religion bears much significance in the modern world.

I make no actual comment about religion. I myself go to church for weddings, funerals, and baptisms. But I have been known to utter a quick prayer when my Jeep teeters on the edge of a mountain trail.

My only conclusion is more people are comforted by the idea of religion than actual religion. But I believe that the Earth is billions of years old and that the fossil record is the literal truth, not words in a book or scroll.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:26:59

Religion was a foil for the unexplainable. As science unfolds mystery into comprehensive fact it has become less important in defining our existence in the universe.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 01:08:21

Lore wrote:Religion was a foil for the unexplainable. As science unfolds mystery into comprehensive fact it has become less important in defining our existence in the universe.

Religion was always about more than explanation for the unknown.

Humans evolved spirituality, and still have that need -- everyone is in a bit of a lurch in the post-modern era, with the rise of science. We've been bouncing back and forth ever since, in the 70s it was Indian gurus and crystals, so now it's ayahuasca.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 21 Nov 2014, 04:13:38

Carl Sagan Dismantles Creationism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5vHPUga8M
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby americandream » Fri 21 Nov 2014, 04:59:07

Subjectivist wrote:

How do I say this gently? 80% of the 1 Billion Muslims on this planet believe in young Earth creationism which is a wee bit more people than the 100 Million or so literalist Christians in America.

And you will note both countries are run by a consolidating wealthy minority ruling over a sanguine population of increasingly impoverished. Religion is an opiate.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 02 Dec 2014, 02:26:19

Sixstrings wrote:I don't think "creationism" is an issue anymore these days, in the States.

It still is for some:
http://boingboing.net/2014/12/01/creati ... nt-wi.html
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion