Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gorbachev's thoughts on Russia and Ukraine

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Gorbachev's thoughts on Russia and Ukraine

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 23 Nov 2014, 03:26:59

Gorbachev on Russia and Ukraine: 'We Are One People'

Many people who send letters to the first and last president of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev, still write on the envelope: "To the Secretary General of the Communist Party, Kremlin." The Russian postal service is used to this and redirects the mail to the Gorbachev Foundation, headquartered in a modern building about seven kilometers north of the Kremlin.

Some of those letters are harshly critical of Gorbachev, who is regarded as a traitor by many Russians who regret the demise of the Soviet Union and the shocking economic transformation that followed. Some of the more vitriolic missives even encourage him to commit suicide. But at 83, Gorbachev is defiant and determined.

"I live and will continue to live according to my conscience and principles. Everyone else can go crazy," he told The Moscow Times in an extensive interview this week.

Despite saying he is "already a part of history," Gorbachev said he cannot simply observe passively what is happening in Russia today.

"I need to participate, and I will. Nobody will shut my mouth, even though people wanted me to emigrate. I don't want to leave, let those people leave," Gorbachev said, banging his hands on the table for emphasis.

"I am called a traitor because I destroyed so many nuclear arms. The second treachery is that we built good relations with the U.S.," he said.

For those who address their letters to Gorbachev at the Kremlin, time has clearly stood still.

Today, Gorbachev argues that the problems in Ukraine and the world at large are in part due to errors made during the collapse of the old system.

"What is happening now in Ukraine is in many ways due to the mistakes of the breakup of the Soviet Union. Once they decided to dissolve the union, they should have agreed on territories and borders," Gorbachev said.

Gorbachev believes that the Soviet Union collapsed mainly due to the political self-interest of local leaders — above all, the first Russian President Boris Yeltsin, who, Gorbachev said, wanted to "get rid" of him.

Gorbachev has never communicated with Yeltsin since. "There was nothing to talk about with this usurper who went behind my back," Gorbachev said.

At the same time, Gorbachev does not believe that the Soviet Union should have been preserved in its old form as a repressive state.

"We could not live like we did before, when people would make a joke and find themselves in jail the next day. There were so many problems, but society did not discuss them," he said."

"People had been breaking each other's bones in lines for Italian shoes in our country," he said.

Gorbachev said the union should have been preserved "with a new essence that would consist of independent sovereign states."

"It is true that the spirit of these [German unification] agreements were broken because we agreed that NATO infrastructure would not expand into East Germany, which creates a certain spirit. When they began to accept new countries into NATO in the 1990s. That violated the spirit of the agreements," he said.

The tense relations between Russia and the U.S. are also created by certain groups in both countries in favor of confrontation, Gorbachev said.

"There is the same type of public both in the U.S. — including the military-industrial complex that cannot imagine its life without weapons and war — and here in Russia too. Every U.S. president feels obliged to wage a war during his term or, even better, two — as the saying goes. I am serious. It's not a joke. This idea has survived, and that is very bad."
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/mikhail-gorbachev-nobody-will-shut-my-mouth-video/511564.html

In summary, Gorbachev now says the USSR broke up too fast and that was all Yeltsin's fault, that Yeltsin was a usurper and wanted the power and wanted to "get rid" of the USSR president.

Gorbachev says that what should have happened was a modernization of the USSR, a federation of states. He may be right on that, from Russia's perspective, but maybe the British would like their Empire back too and have India and all these places again, too. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Nobody has a right to just rewrite history and have a do-over of history, from 30 years ago now. That's a long time. You can't tell some Estonians and Latvians "oh sorry, we messed up back then, here's the Russian Army back again we're gonna do what we should have done to start with."

The fact is, from that time, that the USSR fell apart -- utterly fell apart -- FAST. The USA did massive food shipments. They had food, but it was rotting in railway cars. The system had all broken down. It just fell apart, not long after that Berlin wall, it just all fell apart and that's why there was no "time" to do something different.

Russia does not have a legacy right to re-create the old USSR and have a do-over. These other places have been out of the USSR, for a very long time now, almost a generation.

So anyhow, according to the article, many Russians view Gorbachev as a traitor for letting the USSR fall apart. And for making friends with the West.

He says he did the right things though, and that things were so bad in Soviet Russia that people would "break each other's bones" in line for imported Italian shoes.

And that "someone could make a joke and find themselves in jail the next day."

He's talking about tyranny there, and dictatorship, and secret police, and all that.. hopefully Russians don't forget that lesson and never go fully back to it.

Some of the same things happen in Putin's Russia, though. I've read the articles. An artist will do an exhibit, and if it doesn't favor Putin in a good light, then Putin just shuts it down. Any media that violates the government line, can and does get shut down.

I've read things Gorbachev has said before, and he used to be very critical about Putin. Now since Ukraine he seems to want to get back into good graces.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Gorbachev's thoughts on Russia and Ukraine

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 23 Nov 2014, 04:19:50

Gorbachev was a useful fool and loser. Reagan and Thatcher threw him around their fingers as they wanted. He needed mom and dad, and found them in R&T, good boy.

Gorby had little respect among the communist party ranks by the way. No surprise they elevated him to the top spot - they wanted him to do what he did.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 23 Nov 2014, 04:42:09

radon1 wrote:Gorbachev was a useful fool and loser. Reagan and Thatcher threw him around their fingers as they wanted. He needed mom and dad, and found them in R&T, good boy.

Gorby had little respect among the communist party ranks by the way. No surprise they elevated him to the top spot - they wanted him to do what he did.

I always liked Gorbachev, that was a good man. My sense at the time was that the USSR was trying to modernize, with Gorbachev, and he tried a delicate balance with Glasnost and to improve some without it all flying apart on him.

But he gave just those little bit of freedoms and the floodgates just burst open, and the Berlin Wall went down in Germany, and then after that it was all so fast. At the time, it stunned the world how FAST it all was.

So what's the lesson then? What did USSR do wrong, that China did right. Is the unfortunate lesson that if you're already a dictatorship, then you can't change, you'd better not do that "glasnost" and allow any freedom or else it's a landslide?

Here's what I don't understand, how exactly DID the USSR fall apart.

Was this essentially a Russian coup? Yeltsin, president of Russia, behind it all?

How did that happen though? What the heck happened to the whole communist party apparatus, they just all gave up just like that?

Did they see people pouring over the berlin wall and just knew there was no stopping it? Was everyone just sick of it all? You see videos from that time, and the grocery stores look horrible. Rotten meat. So depressing. So plain and communist gray and all drab, no color. No wonder people were sick of it all. I think they saw East Germans making their break, and that's when Russians said enough of this we're going too.

Maybe the USSR's fault is the glasnost, hindsight foresight they could have tried the Chinese model.

I think this is what Russians were so tired of:

USSR: Moscow 1986 Grocery Store
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWTGsUyv8IE

Now look at this grocery store, it's kind of small but look how colorful it is and all the products and it's a nice normal place:

Neighborhood Store in Moscow. "Real Russia" ep.75
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anO6Dh8Qv6g

(some of the prices are high -- $7 for some Lipton type tea, $8 for coffee. But then toilet paper is just ten cents. Interesting vid, that store is full of American brands. $4 for pringles, that's too much.)

My advice: keep the capitalism and nice grocery stores, lose the dictatorship. :)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 23 Nov 2014, 05:24:49

Sixstrings wrote: What the heck happened to the whole communist party apparatus, they just all gave up just like that?

They were the driving force behind all of that. So they rejoiced and started their property grab known as "privatisation".

Helped by Soviet "intelligensia", better called dumblegensia. They thought they worth something, and got what they worth - cleaning jobs or petty trade at the street markets.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics