Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

So when are we going to run out of oil?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

So when are we going to run out of oil?

Unread postby 2cher » Sat 29 Nov 2014, 00:24:15

Just curious, while this isn't my original account... it was long ago banned for getting into a pissing match with a mod, I was on here back in 2004/2005 and I will admit I was scared shitless and thinking by now we would be in a max max scenario, but that hasn't happened. Not to say that shit won't eventually hit the fan, but we seem to be fairing just fine in regards to oil production and oil prices, though that is due to OPEC being scared shitless of losing out market control to N.A. shale producers. So my question is, when are we going to run out of oil, when am I suppose to get in my bunker with my 100 #10 cans and portable toilet?
2cher
Peat
Peat

Re: So when are we going to run out of oil?

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 29 Nov 2014, 02:03:06

Plenty of oil supply for a fair while, price is more of a concern than supply.
Not really into hiding in a bunker.
My strategy was to reduce my dependence, so that if I really need to use expensive oil I still could afford to.
I figured even if it doubled in price I only spend $300 a year on petrol so could easily absorb that.
5x is still doable, even 10X with some adjustments.
Pretty sure anything worth driving to would have closed down if it happened too quickly, so no real need to worry, find somewhere nice, grow some food, make some friends and learn too cook is not a bad plan B.

Problem really is for the debt laden and the hand to mouth majority and those in the firing line of those who had their expectations thwarted .
The anger stage of grief is going to be a doozy,hopefully it will be a staggered event.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: So when are we going to run out of oil?

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 29 Nov 2014, 02:53:45

2cher wrote:Just curious, while this isn't my original account... it was long ago banned for getting into a pissing match with a mod, I was on here back in 2004/2005 and I will admit I was scared shitless and thinking by now we would be in a max max scenario, but that hasn't happened. Not to say that shit won't eventually hit the fan, but we seem to be fairing just fine in regards to oil production and oil prices, though that is due to OPEC being scared shitless of losing out market control to N.A. shale producers. So my question is, when are we going to run out of oil, when am I suppose to get in my bunker with my 100 #10 cans and portable toilet?
It's not about "running out", it's how fast it can be produced.

You might remember this:
running out of oil?
by RoscoeDeadbeat » 2004-12-14, 20:38:33

While it is true that we are using up our finite sources of oil, we do occasionally find more- like the 13 Billion barrels of crude in the Kashagan field under the Caspian Sea. ...
It's still under the Caspian Sea - they hope to start production in 2017.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion