Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Perfectly fine interactions with the police

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Perfectly fine interactions with the police

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 05 Dec 2014, 11:11:17

There have been so many awful things publicized and discussed recently regarding police behavior I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who wants to post video or stories of police acting properly (in your opinion). Our cops are well trained and mostly pretty smart and friendly, they come to our civic meetings, participate in our neighborhood parades etc and I think it helps them understand the community better. Most of the street cops around here look like they are about 20 years old to me as well. We also have lots of government buildings and people who like to assert their freedom.

Here's a funny one to start: The first uniformed people are private security and I laugh every time I see that - later the city cop shows up.

Occasionally there are stories like this. Lt. Jerry Lohr of the St. Louis County Police seems like a good cop.

Lieutenant Lohr, a Nashville-born former Texan and father of three with an Army-style buzz cut, is one of the commanders overseeing security at the Ferguson police station. He never wears riot gear, even when he wades into a group of protesters to answer questions, resolve disputes or listen to a stream of insults. Protesters at the gates ask for him by name, so they can make complaints, for example, about the use of tear gas or of officers being too aggressive in arresting a woman.

“Allowing people to talk on a one-on-one level does a lot as far as building bridges,” Lieutenant Lohr said. “They may not agree with what I’m doing, but now they at least know my name and my face. I’m human again. They realize that I’m a person. I’m not just a uniform.”

“We have to bridge this gap,” he continued. “It’s not going to happen overnight. This is going to be a long-term relationship, a long-term commitment, that both sides are going to have to make.”
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Perfectly fine interactions with the police

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 05 Dec 2014, 11:56:57

Florida Police deliver Christmas tree and presents to toddler who called 911.
Police officers in Boynton Beach, Florida, responded to a 911 hang-up call made by a 2-year-old girl on Saturday — but they had no clue something so amazing would come out it. When they inquired about the accidental 911 call, the officers inadvertently learned the family was going through a tough time and wouldn’t be able to afford a Christmas tree or gifts this year.

But the officers weren’t annoyed by the accidental 911 call, they were motivated to help.

Boynton Beach police officer Terrence Paramore told NBC’s Today that the home the kids in the home “weren’t smiling” and didn’t appear to be happy.

http://youtu.be/s1QL19SGaGU
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 05 Dec 2014, 18:05:43

Yep, I have seen plenty of excellent police work over the years. It's a shame though that the good ones, through their unions, protect the bad ones. This seems anti- productive to me. The only cases I have ever seen police turn on their own is when some are caught dealing drugs. The message? Dealing drugs is really bad, but bashing/ tasering/ shooting/ choking members of the public to death is just part of the job- always. It's bullshit of course, but it's not changing.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Loki » Fri 05 Dec 2014, 23:51:15

I got pulled over last month. Cop didn't shoot me or choke me to death.

This local story made the rounds on national news lately:
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 01:20:16

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 02:39:55

I think the US Coast Guard is an example of the way cops should behave and the way many do behave. I may not be completely unprejudiced in this regard, since I used to wear a USCG uniform.

Our main mission was Search and Rescue. It is a tough job, where you get to deal with belligerant drunks who are driving boats, and deal with the aftermath of accidents. My first job in the USCG was as an ambulance crewman, and unloading the bodies of dead children was all too common.

The USCG also has a Law Enforcement role that is less popular, as it includes anti-smuggling and anti-illegal immigration roles. As an example of policy, you are entitled to asylum from Cuba if you step upon dry land in the USA. However, if you are swimming or even wading ashore when arrested, you are going to Guantanamo Bay, and will be dealing with Cuban authorities. Because that is the way the US President wants things to be, and itis spelled out in an Executive Order.

My second job as a member of the USCG resulted solely from me demonstrating superior marksmanship - I became a member of a boarding party - the most junior member, who waited at the boat while armed with an M16A1, in later years dubbed an "assault weapon" - but a REAL fully automatic military weapon.

Never-the-less the USCG creed was "You have to go out, you don't have to come back." We could and we frequently did launch Search & Rescue boats into hurricane weather.

I believe that I mentioned before that my brother, who had 10+ years prior experience in the US Army Military Police, was booted out of the Wisconsin State Police for failure to adhere to the policy on the use of lethal force. Specificly he achieved the rank of Sergeant twice, and was twice dispatched alone in a patrol car to a "disturbance" involving drunks fighting outside of a bar. Twice he did wade into the fray with Mace, a nightstick, and his fists, after calling for backup. (Wisconsin has a lot of bars per capita, and not much else other than drinking happens in the Winter). Twice he was reduced in rank and had to ride around with a training officer again, for failure to draw his weapon and shoot. The third time this happened, he was booted out, essentially for failure to be trigger happy enough.

I tell this true story as counterpoint to what happened in Ferguson, MO. What the public should remember is that - although only he, his superiors, and the Grand Jury know for sure - very likely that very green officer was in complete compliance with policy when he emptied his weapon. Nor does your opinion of that policy matter in the least, unless you are a Law Enforcement Officer of long experience.

My brother is still married to the dispatcher at the State Police station where he used to work. He has had an even longer career as a truck driver and now will readily admit to his failures as a Wisconsin State Trooper - and how they were correct to end his tenure as a trooper.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 11:21:10

Relating this thread to the greater topic of peak oil, a question arises in how authorities are going to contain the increasing percentage of the population who will become chronically disenfranchised.

The recent conflicts have been often focusing on race which is certainly a factor but the deeper origins have to do with a growing population of chronically disenfranchised. We know that as constraints tighten it is the poorest who will suffer disproportionately and authorities and institutions will have to become smart in managing the social instabilities that will result. Brutality directed toward the disenfranchised equals poring gasoline on a fire.

It's not just about increasing the welfare state. It's about options that provide dignity and a meaningful life to those whose employment options are restricted to flipping burgers

Italy historically had a huge percentage of its economic activity and GDP functioning in the black market. Allowing a more unregulated black market to thrive among the poor would actually be an option to consider. The selling of untaxed cigarettes was met with pretty draconian methods when you look at the most recent case when if you think about it this is probably really counter productive. So, if we use this recent case as a further example. a fine interaction with police in this case would have been when a policeman would help resolve a neighborhood conflict when two cigarette salesmen where fighting over who was first on the street corner.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion