Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How did geologists figure out that petroleum is organic...

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

How did geologists figure out that petroleum is organic...

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 06 Dec 2014, 11:10:56

...in origin? What scientific methods did they use to discover that petroleum is organic in origin rather than abiotic in origin? There are some people who think petroleum is abiotic in origin. I would just like to know petroleum was discovered to be biotic in how it was created. I would like to know how people where able to figure out petroleum was made from organic matter. That is all. I look forward to your help...
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: How did geologists figure out that petroleum is organic.

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 06 Dec 2014, 11:22:49

Here's the long answer: http://dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/TAD/edu ... rigin.html

A short answer from the above: "Second were observations dealing with the chemical characteristics of petroleum reservoirs. Nitrogen and porphyrins (chlorophyll derivatives in plants, blood derivatives in animals) are found in all organic matter; they are also found in many petroleums. Presence of porphyrins also mean that anaerobic conditions must have developed early in the formation process because porphyrins are easily and rapidly oxidized and decompose under aerobic conditions. Additionally, low Oxygen content also implies a reducing environment. Thus there is a high probability that petroleum originates within an anaerobic and reducing environment."
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 06 Dec 2014, 12:30:27

do a search...an old thread Abiotic Oil addressed this so many times it makes my teeth hurt just remembering. There always seems to be some twit showing up here claiming an abiotic origin for oil, using the same tired old arguments that have been quashed time and time again.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 06 Dec 2014, 13:44:42

rockdoc123 wrote:do a search...an old thread Abiotic Oil addressed this so many times it makes my teeth hurt just remembering. There always seems to be some twit showing up here claiming an abiotic origin for oil, using the same tired old arguments that have been quashed time and time again.

Only 8 posts since 2011 and your teeth still hurt? :shock:

My comment was that if there is abiotic oil seeping up from the depths, it must be at a very slow rate compared to current world consumption (so it is not salient to PO):
the-abiotic-oil-thread-pt-2-merged-t61833-180.html#p992374
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 06 Dec 2014, 14:49:20

Keith - I still like my approach if D is seriously considering the abiotic possibility:

D - I, Rockman, hereby concludes that all oil/NG is of abiotic origin. Which doesn't really help me much: I've spent the last 40 years focused on where oil/NG has accumulated...not where or how it was created. There are well defined reservoir properties that allow me to produce at economical rates. But more important there are physical limitations, especially temperature, here oil/NG can actually exist in commercial volumes.

So I look for "reservoir traps" that contain producible oil/NG. I don't give a sh*t if the oil/NG were generated within or adjacent to the reservoir, such as the Eagle Ford Shale. Or if it was generated from organic matter buried several thousand feet below the reservoir. Or if it was generated 60 miles down in the mantle by some inorganic process. I can only produce if from the rocks I can reach with the drill bit. Which is exactly what the oil patch has been vigorously doing for about 100 years.

So there you go, D. The oil patch going to keep drilling in all the places that it might find producible oil/NG regardless of how it got there.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Numbersman » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 00:01:43

There is also a fringe theory that oil is produced by underground micro organisms of some kind. Can't recall the details, didn't do a google search.
Numbersman
Wood
Wood

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 00:20:32

SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 04:12:16

Spammer. Repeat posting identical garbage. Reported.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 05:12:23

SeaGypsy wrote:Spammer. Repeat posting identical garbage. Reported.

How was I posting repeated stuff?
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 13:08:54

D - Ignore pstarr...a real nut job. All oil is abiotic. I should know...I've been hunting almost 40 years for it. And I've have found a good bit of it. And now I struggle daily to find what little of that abiotic oil is left.

GO TEAM ABIOTIC!!!
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 16:44:06

Origin of oil is very very likely biological:

1) Oil contains coomplex ccompounds that are only found in living organisms (porphyrines).

2) Other compounds (terpenes) are often optically active, not really possible when we assume abiotic oil, however, this would be the rule for compounds from plants or animals.

3) Distribution of chain lengths of hydrocarbons can easily be explained by degredation of more complex compounds (triterpenes, steroids), not by anorganic reaction.

4) Distribution of stable isotopes (13C, deuterium) in not activated groups like alkyl chains of longer hydrocarbons is typical for organic material.

The abiotiv theory was developed by guys who did not know anything about natural compound chemistry and biochemistry. :-)
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 18:06:18

Ule...blasphemy! Don't pay attention to him D. Our faith can overcome all the ridiculous facts anyone might toss out.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Synapsid » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 19:58:29

pstarr,

Don't forget R's unhealthy obsession with refineries in Washington State.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 23:48:56

The only thing I have against those refiners is that the workers there are all abiotic. I've always opposed such artificial semi-intelligence.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 14 Dec 2014, 01:04:37

Actually guys I wasn't talking to Desu but to an Indian spam poster since deleted byods. Carry on.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 14 Dec 2014, 01:08:51

Rockman, how is the LENR powered a biotic oil plant development coming along? How long til conventional oil goes the way of the dinosaurs due to this world changing technolog?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Synapsid » Sun 14 Dec 2014, 01:53:35

ROCKMAN,

There's nothing artificial about the semi-intelligence in this part of the world, believe me. It's all home grown.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 14 Dec 2014, 14:41:31

"How long til conventional oil goes the way of the dinosaurs due to this world changing technolog?" Fortunately long after this petroleum geologist assumes room temperature. LOL. Actually I suspect my species will eventually be replaced by the coal digger species. Granted they might have to evolve gills as the oceans rise but that is how Mother Earth has designed the system.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 14 Dec 2014, 16:11:55

I think real scientists figured this out - like chemists. Geologists just play with the rocks and make bad jokes about how they like to play with the rocks. :P

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion