Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Future present

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Future present

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 03:29:21

Hi people I am new.

I really wish I had started posting on this forum years ago. I live in the UK and because of the recession and my economic circumstances I don't expect to live more than a couple more years.

I am one of those people that who believes that if we had started transitioning to solar 20 years ago we could have saved part of our civilization.

But as it is I expect the combined effects of depletion and global warming will mean population peaks by about 2018. Halves by 2030 and humans are completely extinct by 2080.

With places like Scandinavia, Iceland, new Zealand and Argentina being the last hold outs.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Future present

Unread postby wildbourgman » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 06:03:13

Tikib, relax your too tense. I think we have many other things that will harshly affect humans before global warming. There's way too many of us anyway.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Paulo1 » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 10:29:36

Live a few more years? If you are sick you have good health care coverage in UK. You have rule of law. You have tradition and a history of survival. Give 'er with a smile, man. Lots to live for.
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 11:11:17

Tiki - Be of good cheer: today is the first day of the rest of your life. Of course, tomorrow might be the last. LOL. If you're like me (and many of us here) you might be tempted to piss away what time you have left thinking about different choices you might have made in the past. But you can't effect your past...only your future.

So hang around here as often as possible: we have no lack of advice on how to live your life. LOL. We're all in the same lifeboat staring at the horizon. Plenty of room here for one more.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 11:59:32

Yeah, just breathe. You may think you know the outcomes but you will probably be proven wrong. If you had been on these forums when they started, you may have learned that valuable lesson already. Make a few predictions about next year and see how they go. If you don't get them right maybe consider that you could be wrong about everything and then find peace in not knowing much.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 12:56:01

ROCKMAN wrote: We're all in the same lifeboat staring at the horizon.

Out of windows some that are rose tinted and some that are grey,
some that are green with alternative energy
some that are red with the blood of the dying.
some that are pure silicon of high tech wizardry
some through no filter at all, arms extended and reaching for the embrace of the Overshoot Predator as the life boat of industrial civilization sinks with the strain of 7 billion
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 13:11:16

I am 28 and am probably about to lose my last ever job. And my country is basically bankrupt. So Trust me when I say I don't have long to live.

It's funny when I was kid I used to have faith in renewables but rather than spending so much trying to perfect the designs they should have been deploying them on mass. That said my country doesn't have any huge deserts to put csp in like the US does
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 13:43:13

Read the other post about the UK government cut backs. Jobs are already extremely hard to get here and after that they will be virtually impossible. I have an about average iq but suffer from dyspraxia so I don't tend to keep jobs very long.

I have done the maths because of my low wealth and partial disability I will be among the first to die off.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 13:47:16

As for my rationale behind human extinction that one is easy. Energy depletion will make it impossible for humans to adapt to fast climate change.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Strummer » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:01:15

I don't think you understand what "extinction" means. Primitive humans have survived population bottlenecks of just a few thousands of pairs living (for example after the Toba supervolcano explosion). They had no technology, yet they survived. Today we have an immense amount of accumulated technological capital to cope with almost anything and there's 7 billion of us. Even if 99% die off, that still leaves seventy million people alive who can use all the leftover materials, technology and resources.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:12:12

Yea but runaway global warming scenarios paint a picture of deserts across the US and Europe with only the far north being fertile. Within a century. Imagine people trying to adapt to that fast a change without industry. The last few million will probably kill each other over what little is left. Not forgetting that the speed of the die off will encourage plagues.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:22:03

Tiki – This isn’t meant to be inspirational. Each of us has our own stories. You get to make up your own. For me I was destined to die when I was 18 but fate screwed up and gave me a pass. So for me the last 40 or so years have been lagniappe, as we say where I grew up. I don’t know what your native language might be so here:

A lagniappe is a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase (such as a 13th doughnut when buying a dozen), or more broadly, "something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure." The word entered English from the Louisiana French adapting a Quechua word brought in to New Orleans by the Spanish creoles. It derived from the South American Spanish phrase la yapa or ñapa (referring to a free extra item, usually a very cheap one). Although this is an old custom, it is still widely practiced today in Louisiana.

So now at 63 I’m cruising along with my MS slowly rotting away the pathways from my brain to various parts of my body. My attitude can be seen by the bumper sticker on the back of my wheelchair: “Hire The Handicapped – They’re Fun To Watch” LOL. In fact, just last Saturday night I went to a Christmas party thrown by one of my vendors. More lagniappe: I won one of the door prizes. When I rolled up on the dance floor I looked into the gift bag and then at the lady that owned the company and said ”Wow! Just what I wanted…a soccer ball!”. She laughed till she cried…she knows my attitude well. But you know what, bubba? Every day when I roll my butt out the door at 5 AM I look at it as one more bit of lagniappe. And it’s not that every day is all that great. But it is one more day.

It won’t always be easy, sometimes impossible, but figure out a way to laugh as often as possible. You might get a few strange looks. But screw them…it’s your life. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:28:50

You guys all think u am depressed. But I have been depressed and this isn't it. I just wanted to share my story before its too late.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Strummer » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:38:54

Tikib wrote:Yea but runaway global warming scenarios paint a picture of deserts across the US and Europe with only the far north being fertile. Within a century. Imagine people trying to adapt to that fast a change without industry. The last few million will probably kill each other over what little is left. Not forgetting that the speed of the die off will encourage plagues.

You seem to assume that existing power structures will go away. They won't. Before there is even a chance of a societal collapse, they will simply turn the society into a dictatorship and adaptation will be forced upon us by the way of labor camps and martial law. Clothing, shelter and food. That's all humans really need, everything else is just a bonus.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:43:10

Good to hear tiki. Hang around and tell your stories. But be warned: for every one you tell you'll have to hear at least a half dozen other ones. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:47:20

Talking of dictatorships my country is quickly becoming one every 6 months or so they push through more anti terror legislation and our pas the BBC has been bullied into becoming a government shill.

But oil probably makes land about three times as productive so we are talking about 2 thirds dying off even before you consider the desertification which could make the land barren. Also I doubt large scale government will survive once it's impossible to move long distances. Before the oil age countries tended to be smaller. Contrast Europe and us.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby sunweb » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:59:52

Tikib - 2003 I was given weeks to live because of lung cancer. I am their miracle. 2004 I had 4 stents put in 99% blockage. Last year I had another stent put in, same blockage. Since 2003, my partner and I have take a forty acres and fenced it. I did most of that. Planted 380 blueberry plants, many apple trees, many hazelnuts. Besides a normal garden, we grow specialty potatoes for personal use, for sale, and for the food shelf. I have built a greenhouse that is with glass not plastic and we had out last tomato on Nov. 1 here in Northern Minnesota with no input of heat into the greenhouse but sun. I have built a root cellar that keeps our stuff into spring. That building has passive solar. We rehabbed the old farm house new insulation and passive solar. We are doing this for your generation.
After cancer treatment, I spoke to over 2000 student all over the state at my expense about not smoking. I put up billboards with my cancer CT scan telling people not to smoke.
There is much to do and a joy in doing it.
sunweb
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Strummer » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:03:23

Tikib wrote:Talking of dictatorships my country is quickly becoming one every 6 months or so they push through more anti terror legislation and our pas the BBC has been bullied into becoming a government shill.

But oil probably makes land about three times as productive so we are talking about 2 thirds dying off even before you consider the desertification which could make the land barren. Also I doubt large scale government will survive once it's impossible to move long distances. Before the oil age countries tended to be smaller. Contrast Europe and us.

Again, why would you assume it will become "impossible" for the government/military to travel long distances? They will restrict personal transport and have all the necessary fuel available for centuries. Consumerist capitalism will simply transform into some form of corporate neo-feudalism and life will go on.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tikib » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:21:28

Well let's say one us state does better and tries to succeed. The federal government won't be able to move an army to stop them. Or once radio goes down and people in a distant state forget their even is a federal government. Large countries require high speed transportation it's why the roman empire only grew so big. Because it took too long for the emperor to react to a rebellion.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion