Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Falling oil prices threaten to transform the industry

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Falling oil prices threaten to transform the industry

Unread postby GHung » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:07:34

News that oil giant BP is to accelerate its redundancy programme underlines how the industry is being squeezed by the tumbling price of crude.

Companies that had been riding the crest of $100-plus oil are facing a reality check. What looked like a good investment at $100-a-barrel doesn't look so profitable at $60.

Across the sector - from super-majors like BP, services giants such as Halliburton, and minnow explorers in the depths of Africa - the question is the same: is the 40% fall since June the new normal, or a blip in an otherwise long-term upward trend?

This week, analysts at investment bank Morgan Stanley warned that oil could fall to $43 a barrel in the second quarter of next year unless oil producers' group Opec bolsters the price by cutting production.

But in truth, no-one really knows for sure where the price is going. In the meantime, companies like BP are forced make contingency plans ahead of what could be a tougher climate.

"The fall in oil prices has added to the importance of making the organisation more efficient," a BP spokesman told the BBC.

A company the size of BP can at least play the long game. Hundreds of smaller and mid-tier oil and gas explorers - and their investors - will be rethinking their business plans urgently.

There is a fear that some exploration in Africa could be the first to go as investors cut back funding

Many of these firms do not have the financial muscle to withstand a prolonged price fall. Analysts predict a wave of mergers and acquisitions as firms seek out rescue deals, and falling share prices create bargains for larger predators with deeper pockets.

"A lot of these companies have smaller budgets and are more exposed," says Graham Sadler, managing director of Petroleum Services Group at business services firm Deloitte.

Many will try to spread the risk by, perhaps, sharing drilling rigs and other facilities. "But a lot of drilling will be pushed onto the backburner," he predicts.
'Obsession'

However, industry juggernauts in the US and Europe will not escape the need to change course, especially when leasing an oil rig can cost anywhere between $50,000 and $600,000 (£30,000 and £380,000) a day depending on the demands of the project.

Mr Sadler says that drilling in high-cost places like the Arctic and deepwater locations could be casualties as the big players cut back on costs.

Drilling projects in the Arctic that have not already received substantial investment may now be delayed

Projects that have already received billions of dollars in investment will probably be safe. Others that have yet to leave the drawing board will likely be put on hold.

That the oil majors are being hit by falling prices is reflected in recent speculation that BP and Royal Dutch Shell are in merger talks. This old chestnut surfaces every few years when the oil price falls sharply.

But it underlines that in tough times even the giants of the sector are expected to be searching for economies of scale and better pricing power. And remember, BP turned itself into a global player via a bold acquisition spree in the late 1990s, when the low oil price threw up takeover opportunities.

Author Daniel Yergin, one of the foremost authorities on the industry, wrote last week in a Wall Street Journal article: "Even before the collapse in prices, major oil and natural-gas companies had become preoccupied with the continually rising costs of developing new supply and were heeding the call from investors for 'capital discipline'.

"This price decline will turn this preoccupation into an obsession. The result will be a slowdown and reduction in major new investments around the world.".....

Keep reading: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30393690

BP/Shell merger?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Falling oil prices threaten to transform the industry

Unread postby BobInget » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 12:05:39

HOWEVER?
Has Demand fallen off the roof as prices collapse?
Hardly.

Summary of Weekly Petroleum Data for the Week Ending December 5, 2014
U.S. crude oil refinery inputs averaged over 16.6 million barrels per day during the week ending December 5, 2014, 271,000 barrels per day more than the previous week’s average. Refineries operated at 95.4% of their operable capacity last week. Gasoline production decreased last week, averaging about 9.2 million barrels per day. Distillate fuel production increased last week, averaging over 5.2 million barrels per day.

U.S. crude oil imports averaged about 7.7 million barrels per day last week, up by 365,000 barrels per day from the previous week. Over the last four weeks, crude oil imports averaged over 7.5 million barrels per day, 0.6% below the same four-week period last year. Total motor gasoline imports (including both finished gasoline and gasoline blending components) last week averaged 561,000 barrels per day. Distillate fuel imports averaged 175,000 barrels per day last week.

U.S. commercial crude oil inventories (excluding those in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve) increased by 1.5 million barrels from the previous week. At 380.8 million barrels, U.S. crude oil inventories are above the upper limit of the average range for this time of year. Total motor gasoline inventories increased by 8.2 million barrels last week, and are in the middle of the average range. Both finished gasoline inventories and blending components inventories increased last week. Distillate fuel inventories increased by 5.6 million barrels last week but are near the lower limit of the average range for this time of year. Propane/propylene inventories fell 0.3 million barrels last week but are well above the upper limit of the average range. Total commercial petroleum inventories increased by 7.4 million barrels last week.

Total products supplied over the last four-week period averaged about 19.9 million barrels per day, *up* by 1.1% from the same period last year. Over the last four weeks, motor gasoline product supplied averaged 9.1 million barrels per day, *up* by 3.9% from the same period last year. Distillate fuel product supplied averaged over 3.7 million barrels per day over the last four weeks, down by 1.7% from the same
(serious conversion from heating oil to gas)
period last year. Jet fuel product supplied remained unchanged compared to the same four-week period last year.
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GHung » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 12:25:58

WTI currently at $61.38, off about 3.9% today. I would expect demand to rebound with falling prices, at least for product already in the pipe.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 13:21:30

Opec came out today with a forecast for about a million less barrels demand next year.
Demand decreasing, production increasing ......not a good equation I'm afraid.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dukey » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 13:35:40

I wonder what the current price will do to the US shale industry. Many analysts have described it as a ponzi scheme, that barely made any money at $100/barrel.
dukey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 14:26:39

ducky - As I just reminded one of our cohorts the shale play wasn't a "Ponzi" scheme. The shale plays have not been a Ponzi scheme. I have not heard of a single case of any operator taking funds from one investor and delivering them to an earlier investor claiming they were revenue generated from a project he had invested in. And did the same with the second investor with monies he got from a third investor. Etc.

It is much better describe as a “419” scam…also known as the “Spanish Prisoner Scam”. Such scams are the most common types of confidence trick. The scam typically involves promising the victim a significant share of a large sum of money, which the fraudster requires a small up-front payment to obtain. If a victim makes the payment, the fraudster simply disappears. There are many variations on this type of scam, including advance-fee fraud, Fifo's Fraud, Spanish Prisoner Scam, the black money scam, and the Detroit-Buffalo scam. The number "419" refers to the article of the Nigerian Criminal Code dealing with fraud. The scam has been used with fax and traditional mail, and is now used with the Internet.

So I show you my inventory of shale prospects and you buy $X of my stock based on my pitch that the stock being worth $2X in the future…maybe even more. Of course you see the stock value increasing because you bought early into the play. Now the next investors comes along and sees the growth in your equity and decides he wants a piece so he buys the stock. Or maybe he prefers to make his return by loaning me some capex. I’m good either way.

But eventually that ultimate big pay day may not arrive as promised. Maybe my wells don’t yield the volume of oil I had predicted. Or maybe my wells turned out semi OK but a steep drop in the price of oil erodes those gains quickly. And if either (or both) events occur to a significant degree my operation folds up and…wait for it…wait for it…the company disappears in bankruptcy or is acquired by another oil company for a fraction of its initial stock value. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BobInget » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 15:29:45

Entire markets are collapsing out of financial collapse fears.
Little credit was given to oil and gas industry for pulling the US out of depression.
Today, too much fear is being pushed over potential bankruptcies leading to lender collapses.

The worst effects have been on nice, geopolitically safe Canadian E&P's most are deeply in debt, often as much as 80% off their highs. Expect Japanese and Chinese
'wealth funds' to be invited by Canada to buy these distressed properties.
Most of these companies have extensive conventional natural gas, which, book values alone, even at depressed gas prices are worth far more then share prices in depressed Loonies. IOW's forgetabout the oil.

I hate to say this but the US has been sending million dollar a copy missiles to blow up a single ISIS supply truck. Direct that same missile elsewhere and everything changes
in a few hours.
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 16:48:15

Bob - "Has Demand fallen off the roof as prices collapse? Hardly". Let me expand on your thought. Demand has definitely "fallen of the roof". The demand for $100/bbl oil that is. But as you numbers indicate not only has there been no decrease in demand for $70/bbl oil we might be seeing a bit of an increase...in the demand for $70/bbl oil. But let's see where we are in 6 months: there might be a good demand for $90/bbl oil then. Or, if the global economies are in contraction and continue so despite lower oil prices, the demand this summer might only be for $50/bbl oil. Remember the demand only 10 years ago was for $47/bbl oil.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 23:01:14

rockdoc123 wrote:Opec came out today with a forecast for about a million less barrels demand next year.
Should we take this at face value, or are they trying to talk down the price?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Economics & Finance