Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ukraine freezes. Europe is horrified.

Ukraine freezes. Europe is horrified.

Unread postby Mazureks » Tue 30 Dec 2014, 09:33:14

I remember October this year when President of National Nuclear Generating Company Energoatom Yuri Nedashkovsky said that the Ukrainian nuclear energy is fully ready to the autumn-winter period of 2014-2015.

I live in Poland. My Father is Ukrainian. He remembers that horror in Chornobyl. Both of us try to keep in touch with the situation at Ukrainian NPPs. Earlier there were constant breakaways and accidents every year of two. But this year goes through the roof by accidents. And if this storage of nuclear trash would blast Poland will be first victim.

Zaporizhzhya NPP is the most disturbing. americasdonewrongs.blogspot.com/2014/12/in-area-of-zaporizhzhya-background.html

I really don't know what to do. Everyone stays calm. And Ukrainian governments keep silence in spite of all reasons for panic.

Does any EU or international organization control Ukrainian nuclear facilities? Someone should put order in this nuclear hell-hall. No matters who it would be. I think the majority of Poles would greet initiatives of supplying Ukraine with coal or gas for lessening the burden for Ukrainian NPPs. Even Russia would do.
Mazureks
Wood
Wood

Re: Ukraine freezes. Europe is horrified.

Unread postby dissident » Tue 30 Dec 2014, 10:56:58

Europe got what it wanted. Now live with it.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 30 Dec 2014, 11:34:35

No. Neither the EU, nor a "International Organization" control Ukrainian nuclear facilities; an ex candy manufacturer and wealthy ideologue do. Yall could have found an ambivalent technocrat to run things post maidan for a year or two; it would have been unexciting, he probably would have flat out ignored donbass, and Ukraine could have become something other than a future source of housekeepers and janitors for Germany and France.

But, you know, flags, and waving, and molatovs... good stuff. It does however, have a price. Permanently damaging one or more nuclear facilities in Ukraine in the name of making them wave a maidan flag may be one of those prices. I guess Eastern Europe needed more Chernobyl's... Stupid ground truth facts getting in the way of ideological bliss, the nerve..
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 31 Dec 2014, 08:12:03

Yes, well just to give another example of insane planning. What happened in Japan with Fukushima. First any nuclear reactors there is dubious. Japan is very active seismologically, also building those Fukushima reactors near the coast is doubly crazy. Nobody thought about tsunami. Even where I live in US some nuclear reactors are reaching their shelf life of 30 or so years. So what will happen now will be upgrade them, decommission them. Whatever it costs a lot of money from what I have read. In my opinion, the whole nuclear utilization both as energy and in military is crazy and we should have never embarked on it. That is just my opinion of course.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 31 Dec 2014, 14:47:58

Mazureks wrote:Does any EU or international organization control Ukrainian nuclear facilities? Someone should put order in this nuclear hell-hall. No matters who it would be. I think the majority of Poles would greet initiatives of supplying Ukraine with coal or gas for lessening the burden for Ukrainian NPPs. Even Russia would do.

If the EU won't cough up some money for anything else, then they need to cough it up for this one issue.

I've been noticing these ukrainian nuclear power plant headlines lately, too. Somebody needs to help them out with those before there's another chernobyl.

It's very irresponsible for the international community to be ignoring it, and dangerous for Europe. Would probably help if Ukraine would ask for some help, on this issue, but why aren't the Germans etc. aware of it by now? There's clearly a problem.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 31 Dec 2014, 15:38:48

Radioactive leak at major Ukrainian nuclear plant – report

A radioactive leak has been detected at Ukraine’s Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant, the largest in Europe, a media report says, citing the country’s emergency services. Ukrainian officials have denied the report.

LifeNews published what it claims is a leaked report by the State Emergency Service of Ukraine, which denies an earlier assessment by the plant’s authorities that the radiation at the facility is equal to the natural background following an incident on Sunday.

RT is trying to verify the report.

Ukrainian authorities have denied the Russian media report that a radioactive leak had taken place at the plant, Reuters reported.

"The plant works normally, there have been no accidents," an energy ministry official told the news agency. No official comment on whether the leaked documents are authentic has been provided.

Two documents released by LifeNews appear to show that the plant's officials put deliberately misleading information on their website. The documents – both addressed to the head of the regional emergency services – state that radiation levels at the plant on Sunday and Monday were 16.8 times higher than the legally permitted norm.

By Monday, the levels had slightly increased – growing from 16.3 to 16.8 times higher, and Unit 6 was still shut down, the report said, contradicting the plant's statements that the problem had been fixed and that the plant was operating normally.

On Sunday, one reactor at the plant was automatically shut down after a glitch, becoming the second halt in operations in recent weeks. The reactor was running at 40 percent of nominal power, the plant's official website said, adding that radiation at the facility being at the level of 8-12 microroentgens an hour.

The error was later announced to have been corrected, and the troubled unit – Power Block # 6 – was plugged back into the network.

On November 28, Zaporozhye's Unit 3 was switched off for almost a week. The shutdown, which was reportedly caused by a short circuit, was made public five days later, when Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseny Yatsenyuk revealed it during the first meeting of his new Cabinet.

Is it dangerous?
The media report indicated that on December 29 the radiation level at the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant was estimated at 0.00505 mSv/yr. According to the World Nuclear Association a typical range of dose rates from medical sources of radiation is 0.3-0.6 mSv/yr. In order to develop radiation sickness, a one-time dose of at least 1,000 to 2,000 mSv would be enough. Meanwhile, between 2,000 and 10,000 mSv in a short-term dose would cause severe radiation sickness with increasing likelihood that this would be fatal.

Regarding the November incident, Ukrainian authorities have contacted the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). The agency was informed that "a reactor at the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant remained safely shut down following a short circuit in the plant’s transformer yard last week," its December 3 statement said.
http://www.rt.com/news/218807-ukraine-nuclear-plant-leak/

I would assume someone is helping them out at this point, they contacted the IAEA to report the shut down, so surely someone from IAEA is on top of it.

Unless it's like a CDC and Obama and ebola thing in the US, where you just common sense assume someone is on top of it, but turns out nobody is. :?:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Donetsk » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 04:17:22

Radiation and health damage in general are constituents of the price for electricity no matter where it comes from. Sorry.
The bloody mire of Mongolian slavery, not the rude glory of the Norman epoch, forms the cradle of Muscovy. Karl Marx
Donetsk
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 07:53:07

Sixstrings wrote:
Unless it's like a CDC and Obama and ebola thing in the US, where you just common sense assume someone is on top of it, but turns out nobody is. :?:

Turns out nobody is on top of Obama? That's harsh.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate