Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Polar Jet Boosts British Airways

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Polar Jet Boosts British Airways

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 20:55:50

A plane flying from New York to London Heathrow hit near supersonic speeds yesterday after getting caught up in a powerhouse jet stream.
British Airways Flight 114, a Boeing 777-200 jet, took off from JFK at 10.50pm Eastern Standard Time (EST), and landed at 9.06am local time at London Heathrow.
The total flight time was five hours and 16 minutes, well short of the estimated minimum six-hour journey.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... z3ONLOBPVf
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Polar Jet Boosts British Airways

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:37:08

Subjectivist wrote:
A plane flying from New York to London Heathrow hit near supersonic speeds yesterday after getting caught up in a powerhouse jet stream.
British Airways Flight 114, a Boeing 777-200 jet, took off from JFK at 10.50pm Eastern Standard Time (EST), and landed at 9.06am local time at London Heathrow.
The total flight time was five hours and 16 minutes, well short of the estimated minimum six-hour journey.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... z3ONLOBPVf

Hm, well that sounds unusual.

Is this in fact unusual? Is it climate change or something? There's something weird going on lately, these harsh winters, polar vortexes every year.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:35:33

Reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode - The Odyssey of Flight 33 (24 Feb. 1961)

http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/ ... 520833305/

Passing through the sound barrier a commercial airliner inadvertently travels back in time.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 16:06:07

Smart pilot, drafting the jetstream probably saved a fortune in fuel as well.

No Six, Jetstreams happen all the time, this was just luck that it was going exactly where the pilot wanted to go as well.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 17:14:57

A 777 burns between 2,500 and 3,000 gallons per hour in flight on average so this trip saved about 2,000 gallons of fuel. Around here jet fuel is around $4.00/gallon so that is a nice $8,000 savings for this leg of the trip. Of course sometimes an airline is fighting bad weather that causes them to fly around longer than a straight line trip so they end up spending extra on those flights.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Open Topic Discussion