Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Does anyone here still use Windows XP?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Does anyone here still use Windows XP?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 22:25:21

I'm in 2015, and I'm still using Windows XP. I'm dead serious. What about you?
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Does anyone here still use Windows XP?

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 22:42:35

Yup.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 22:51:08

If things go well next week we'll be down to a single XP system in my department. The faculty member who owns that machine just won't give it up.

Other departments in our faculty have expensive lab equipment that is controlled by an XP system. The lifetime of lab equipment far exceeds the lifetime of a Windows operating system. Unfortunately, vendors generally won't update the software to work on a newer version of Windows so one is stuck running an unsupported version of Windows. We actually installed XP on a couple of machines this week to be used as spares for machines running in our Earth Sciences department.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:06:53

I used it up until I got a virus a few months ago, then I discovered after reformatting my drive that Microsoft no longer supports XP and would not update it from the factory version to the latest version I had been running. My old computer can't handle anything more advanced so now it is a door stop, very little of my software will run on it and the explorer version is so archaic it will not interface with most websites.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:23:04

Windows XP is awesome.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby toolpush » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:39:07

2 x XP computers at home
To numerous XP computers at work to count
No problems, working fine.
toolpush
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:42:18

I have one XP machine still. An old laptop without a screen that I use for experimentation.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MD » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 07:53:52

should I give up my DOS machine?
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 08:21:33

We had the same problem as yellowcanoe described above. Fortunately our vendors did have software versions that run on Windows 7 after we changed our PCs to Win7.

I use a Mac at home. :) I love the Mac OS.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 13:12:56

Ubuntu with an XP VM
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 16:28:08

I have some XP machines tied to custom hardware drivers; but they're protected by hardware firewalls; my connected machines are Win7, 8, and Slackware's. I'm typing this on a firefox running on slackware.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 18:14:55

Boy oh boy, do I ever feel like a dinosaur.

:oops:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Loki » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 00:13:31

Windows 95 here :wink:

j/k, Ubuntu on my main laptop (an old netbook), Windows 7 on my bigger laptop, which is mostly just for watching videos. I think one of my old laptops still has XP, but not sure, been some time since I booted it up. Might have replaced it with Ubuntu.

Subjectivist wrote:I used it up until I got a virus a few months ago, then I discovered after reformatting my drive that Microsoft no longer supports XP and would not update it from the factory version to the latest version I had been running. My old computer can't handle anything more advanced so now it is a door stop, very little of my software will run on it and the explorer version is so archaic it will not interface with most websites.

If you want to salvage it you could try Linux. There are distros that should work OK with older laptops if all you want to do is surf the Web.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 01:28:17

Loki wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:My old computer can't handle anything more advanced so now it is a door stop, very little of my software will run on it and the explorer version is so archaic it will not interface with most websites.

If you want to salvage it you could try Linux. There are distros that should work OK with older laptops if all you want to do is surf the Web.
I have Puppy Linux on a former XP box. It runs from a USB stick, you can unplug the noisy, energy consuming hard drive. You can get up-to-date Firefox, Chromium, Opera. It takes a bit over a minute to boot up, start Chromium and display a web page. IIRC you need over 250M RAM.

I can also run my "new" desktop box or an old laptop from the same USB stick, keeping saved data and settings. (I can't get it to boot on a W7 laptop.)
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 05:29:15

Windows XP is a great target platform for learning penetration testing (hacking) on.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 06:45:36

I'm still on a XP desktop. I'm hoping to let it last through the current generation of operating systems so I can leap forward to the next one as soon as it gets debugged.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby joyfulbozo » Fri 30 Jan 2015, 05:33:54

I am using on my desktop... XP is far better than win vista i can say... win 7 is ok butr speed we get in XP is nice...
joyfulbozo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 30 Jan 2015, 19:54:34

I'm still using it on older machines as a gaming platform. As an "old guy" in my 50's, I can still play the old DOS games I love (ah, a simpler time) on a DOS simulator, and have them run well if I use XP. (Windows 7 seems to have broken the ones I like). And I don't have those computers hooked to the internet, so no risk of virus problems.

I have been wondering about getting around this. Given how buggy Windows can be -- what are the odds I can run a Windows XP virtual machine under Windows 7 or 8.x? Doing a quick read, I see a problem with virtualizing audio. Yeah, I want to play the games with no sound (NOT).

As usual, thank you Microsoft (NOT) for making windows truly backward compatible. (NOT)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby davep » Sat 31 Jan 2015, 00:18:49

Outcast_Searcher wrote:I'm still using it on older machines as a gaming platform. As an "old guy" in my 50's, I can still play the old DOS games I love (ah, a simpler time) on a DOS simulator, and have them run well if I use XP. (Windows 7 seems to have broken the ones I like). And I don't have those computers hooked to the internet, so no risk of virus problems.

I have been wondering about getting around this. Given how buggy Windows can be -- what are the odds I can run a Windows XP virtual machine under Windows 7 or 8.x? Doing a quick read, I see a problem with virtualizing audio. Yeah, I want to play the games with no sound (NOT).

As usual, thank you Microsoft (NOT) for making windows truly backward compatible. (NOT)

According to VMWare you need at least XP SP2 for sound to work http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003425. I guess it would be the same for VirtualBox etc.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Open Topic Discussion