Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When did you realize the whole economy is a pyramid scheme?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

When did you realize the whole economy is a pyramid scheme?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:07:13

I realized that the whole world economy is an unsustainable pyramid scheme a few months ago. It requires infinite growth based on constant expansion of the money supply. The bottom line is that the whole world economy requires infinite growth. But infinite growth is impossible on a finite planet. This is why the whole world economy is destined to fail.

We must reform the economy. We must get rid of debt-based currency. Money is created when debt is issued. Debt is money. You create debt whenever you use money with interest attached to it. The economy must constantly grow in order for the debt and money supply to constantly grow. But the economy has limits to how big it can grow because there is only so much natural resources on this planet.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: When did you realize the whole economy is a pyramid sche

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:09:18

Good luck with that, I figured it out in Econ class back around 1989. Those that benefit from the system won't change it, and they have all the power.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:18:40

Subjectivist wrote:Good luck with that, I figured it out in Econ class back around 1989. Those that benefit from the system won't change it, and they have all the power.

This infinite growth paradigm will have to end if we are going to survive as a species. Infinite growth in population and consumption is not possible on a finite planet. We are pursing infinite growth in population and consumption on a finite planet.

We are basically like a speeding run-away train that's about to crash into a wall. We better jump off this train before it crashes into the wall. This train is metaphorically the infinite growth paradigm.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:23:36

More like a train racing down a track where the track builders are running out of materials to keep building railway, where the driver is drunk with speed & refusing to consider using the brakes. Eventually the train overtakes the railway builders & the train does what trains do when they run out of track.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:34:47

SeaGypsy wrote:More like a train racing down a track where the track builders are running out of materials to keep building railway, where the driver is drunk with speed & refusing to consider using the brakes. Eventually the train overtakes the railway builders & the train does what trains do when they run out of track.

Good point.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:43:50

Most of the passengers only have a side view, in other words, they only see where the train is now, not where it is going. The brave few who have such their necks out the window or the gaps between carriages to see what lies ahead have hit the emergency alarm miles ago, the driver sent messages back that their concerns are under consideration by management & when a decision is made passengers will be notified. Meanwhile there are specials galore in the buffet!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Do you realize that capitalism is a pyramid scheme?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 00:03:13

Here's the proof. Read this article and find out yourself.

www.dailykos.com/story/2009/03/01/70330 ... mid-Scheme

I think this was a pretty interesting find...
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Do you realize that capitalism is a pyramid scheme?

Unread postby Lore » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:02:44

I believe we have discussed capitalism as an unsustainable pyramid scheme here many times throughout the years
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:08:30

Two threads asking almost the same question?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:16:01

More realistically, the train driver isn't suicidal and will see the signals are red and stop and the passengers will probably start to riot as they get fed up waiting for the train to move.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:50:21

So in a situation where the population has been increasing at a high rate for many generations, explain to me the type of economy that doesn't grow?

An economy of a dozen people will be larger than one of 3 people, unless you think they should each only do one quarter the productive work - work being where growth comes from.

These discussions are pointless. It is as if you folks have never asked for a raise or borrowed to make a purchase or aspired to own property, or worked at a job that produced tangible (or otherwise) profit; all of which cause the economy to grow. The only way for the economy to NOT grow when the population IS growing is for everyone to become poorer.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:13:45

BTW, Desu, just one thread per topic at a time please
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Lore » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:39:01

I believe the only conclusion, as mentioned sometime ago, is for the human population to get off the idea of wealth accumulation of things and stuff as being the only and primary measure of prosperity.

The question being, is a person better off with a healthier mind, body and spirit then having the temporal wealth of objects? A subject which has been at the center of many religions and cultures since the dawn of modern humans.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 13:20:32

dolanbaker wrote:Two threads asking almost the same question?

One question is asking if you realize debt-based money is a pyramid scheme. The other is asking if you know capitalism is a pyramid scheme. I think they are two totally different topics, so I don't understand why those two topics were merged together.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 13:33:31

DesuMaiden wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:Two threads asking almost the same question?

One question is asking if you realize debt-based money is a pyramid scheme. The other is asking if you know capitalism is a pyramid scheme. I think they are two totally different topics, so I don't understand why those two topics were merged together.

Capitalism and the economics of capitalism are the same, just depends which side of the elephant you're looking at.
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion