Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Pipeline Explosion! 1/14/2015

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Pipeline Explosion! 1/14/2015

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 14 Jan 2015, 15:54:05

RANKIN COUNTY, MS (Mississippi News Now) - An explosion near the Barnett Reservoir lit up the skies Wednesday morning.

It erupted around 6:20, off of Three Prong Trail. That's east of the Reservoir.
Gulf South Pipeline has confirmed the natural gas line explosion on their property.

Joe Hollier, the Manager of Corporate Communication for the gas company says the 30 inch pipeline explosion is currently impacting 25 homes.

The explosion knocked gas out to those homes, but crews are working to restore service.

Hollier says gas control crews who monitor the company's gas lines noticed a drop in pressure before an alarm went off.

That helped the gas company quickly notify emergency crews on the ground.

After burning for about an hour-and-a-half, our Skycopter captured the fire as it was snuffed out, leaving behind a scorched patch of forest.

Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey says their Department and Rankin County E.R. Management Operations along with several other agencies and the gas company, Gulf South Pipeline, are on the scene where the explosion happened.

They are working to figure out a cause now.

The gas is now shut off.

The only damage is to possibly an acre worth of trees.

In terms of traffic in the surrounding area, there should be no delays and nobody is in danger.

There were no evacuations.

Copyright 2015 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/27846604 ... ign=buffer
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Pipeline Explosion! 1/14/2015

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 14 Jan 2015, 23:54:49

School Bus Explosion Kills at Least 17: At least 17 children are dead after an explosion on a school bus.

http://www.11alive.com/video/2409428612 ... t-Least-17
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 04:01:22

The schoolbus was natural gas also. What's the takeaway ? Natural gas will explode on you.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 07:30:05

So nobody wants to discuss the pipeline. Okey dokey.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 09:46:35

The thing I found remarkable was that a 30 inch pipeline was put out of commission and only 25 homes were affected (without gas).
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:24:56

dinopello wrote:The thing I found remarkable was that a 30 inch pipeline was put out of commission and only 25 homes were affected (without gas).

Pure speculation on my part but I presumed those 25 houses were the last ones to branch off the 30" feeder line from that direction. The shut off the two valves closest to the break, so the houses on either sides of those valves still got gas from further away.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:37:02

Subjectivist wrote:So nobody wants to discuss the pipeline. Okey dokey.

I guess I have to take the big government position that unregulated utilities will always put profit before anything else. But that is the point of Morning In America, and trickle down economics, right?
Deregulate and lower taxes so the people that create the jobs and pay the wages won't be forced to create jobs and pay wages for silly stuff like infrastructure maintenance?
Right?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebanker ... -billions/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 14:16:14

Pops wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:So nobody wants to discuss the pipeline. Okey dokey.

I guess I have to take the big government position that unregulated utilities will always put profit before anything else. But that is the point of Morning In America, and trickle down economics, right?
Deregulate and lower taxes so the people that create the jobs and pay the wages won't be forced to create jobs and pay wages for silly stuff like infrastructure maintenance?
Right?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebanker ... -billions/

Might I point out that many government infrastructure responsibilities get ignored until something catastrophic happens?
I was thinking specifically of the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis in 2007 that killed 13 because some government officials decided other things were more important priorities for spending than maintenance on public infrastructure. You can blame low taxes all you want but if you ever get to Toledo, Ohio you will see beautiful parks next to pothole filled streets, and massive rail to trail spending on bike paths while the number of homes scheduled for demolition keeps climbing for lack of funds in the demolition budget.

Budgeting is all about priority, and for politicians getting to stand in front of a lovely park picnic shelter or ride a bike down a picturesque path is a much better photo-op for your reelection campaign than the mundane task of fixing stuff that is wearing out. Infrastructure is a personal bug a boo of mine, I see all the bridges rusting while the political types talk about all the new projects they need to be building with new taxes.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 14:37:36

Tanada wrote:Might I point out that many government infrastructure responsibilities get ignored until something catastrophic happens?
Budgeting is all about priority,

Exactly my point. Cutting taxes is the priority, because, you know, we pay so much.

Wiese, as head of PHMSA's Office of Pipeline Safety, is the federal official most directly charged with preventing these types of accidents. But as his July 24 comments in New Orleans reflect, he is constrained by a pipeline safety budget that has remained flat at about $108 million for the past three years, despite the construction of thousands of miles of new pipeline. Most of that money comes from industry user fees and an oil spill liability trust fund. Taxpayers pay just $1 million a year toward the safety program.

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20130 ... kind-dying
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Timo » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 14:45:12

Kids, listen up! If we factor in dynamic scoring to offset the cuts to your taxes, then over all revenues will increase, leading to better parks, fewer potholes, fewer dilapidated homes, and unicorns and magic pixie dust for everyone!

All you have to do is be patient, and clap louder! Is that too much to ask in return for slashing and burning the functional capacity of our government to do the work everyone expects and pays for?
Timo

Unread postby Timo » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 14:47:27

http://usvsth3m.com/post/austerity-the-board-game

This is the PERFECT board game for our times!!! I encourage everyone to take a look, and play the game.
Timo

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 14:57:16

Thanks Timo, I found my new profile "location" from the link
Pops
Elite
Elite

Return to North America Discussion