Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Lithuania publishes hybrid war / occupation survival manual

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Lithuania publishes hybrid war / occupation survival manual

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:37:39

Worried about Russia? Lithuania says 'Keep calm and read the war manual'

"Keep a sound mind, don't panic and don't lose clear thinking," the manual explains. "Gunshots just outside your window are not the end of the world."

The manual, which the Defence Ministry will send to libraries next week and also distribute at army events, says Lithuanians should resist foreign occupation with demonstrations and strikes, "or at least doing your job worse than usual".

In the event of invasion, the manual says Lithuanians should organize themselves through Twitter and Facebook and attempt cyber attacks against the enemy.

It is increasingly worried about Russia, not least because of a military drill in the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad last month that featured 9,000 soldiers and more than 55 naval vessels.

"The examples of Georgia and Ukraine, which both lost a part of their territory, show us that we cannot rule out a similar kind of situation here, and that we should be ready," Defence Minister Juozas Olekas told Reuters.

http://news.yahoo.com/worried-russia-lithuania-says-keep-calm-read-war-103856106.html

Evacuate or Get a Weapon If War Breaks Out, Lithuanians Told

When evacuating, people should secure food and water, stay away from armed troops, travel only in the daytime and use a white blanket to identify themselves as civilians.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2015-01-06/evacuate-or-get-a-weapon-if-war-breaks-out-lithuanians-told

Sounds like a good book with solid tips, on how to resist and survive foreign hybrid war invasion and occupation.

The manual isn't released yet, but from news reports it says:

* Evacuate or get a gun and stay inside
* Don't panic, keep a clear head, "gunshots outside the window aren't the end of the world" 8O
* I tells citizens to resist the occupation, or at least "or at least doing your job slower"
* Organize the occupation resistance on twitter, and facebook
* If living under occupation, demonstrate and protest and go on strike
* If evacuating, secure food and water, travel by day, avoid troops, and wear a white blanket to identify as a civilian.

The Lithuanian government is going to distribute the manual to its military, the schools, and libraries.

My opinion?

This is making the USA look bad, and hurting our national security here at home. It's hard to believe they would do this, the Russians really would go into Lithuania next, but nobody thought it would happen in other places either and nobody predicted Ukraine.

If Russia can do this in a nato state, then Russia may feel emboldened to do things here in the US. More bomber incursions into our airspace. Possibly cyberattacks. More aggressive espionage.

Putin will always go as far as he is allowed to, so either draw that red line on nato's edge or you're just gonna have to draw it in Cincinnati. We'd rather it be over there, right?

You defend the West's frontier, on the frontier, so you don't get a cyberattack taking out your electrical grid at home and then total collapse of the USA from that.

If they can take a Lithuania, then our troops garrisoned all over the world would be under more threat. We'd be seen as a paper tiger. South Korea would be in danger, Taiwan, allies in the middle east.

Rather than our allies having to do publish occupation resistance manuals, maybe it would be better to avoid it all proactively -- move some US troops out of Germany and into Lithuania, as a garrison. And make it clear to Russia that they cannot invade that anymore than China or North Korea can invade South Korea or Taiwan.

Make it very clear that separatist state "little green men" hybrid war is not a clever legal loophole that's gonna work, for them, and we are not idiots and were not born yesterday.

Be firm, and clear. It's deterrence. It's worked for half a century now and kept the peace. Are we so sure that being unclear and weak is such a good idea and will somehow work better? Does it not invite more testing, on our allies on the frontier, and even here against us at home?
Last edited by Sixstrings on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 18:10:07, edited 8 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Lithuania publishes hybrid war / occupation survival man

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:55:34

Contingency planning is one of the obligatory tasks of being a responsible government.
Hope for the best and plan for the worst, in their case history has proven that it could happen.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 18:48:31

dolanbaker wrote:Contingency planning is one of the obligatory tasks of being a responsible government.
Hope for the best and plan for the worst, in their case history has proven that it could happen.

I agree, but, "foreign hybrid war and occupation" should not even BE a "contingency" in the first place.

(not arguing at you by the way dolan, I'm just ranting)

NATO was originally formed, in the first place, when Russia started doing things like this shortly after WWII.

Once "occupation" even becomes a contingency, national security is already compromised. We had that movie "Red Dawn" back in the 80s. Russian paratroopers with their hybrid war Cuban allies parachuting into Iowa. Ludicrous plot, good movie. But you know what? East Ukraine had its "red dawn" already. Don't we all remember this. Those youtube videos showing Russian choppers streaming over the border. And Georgia had the Russian army coming over its border, too. And NATO Lithuania is worried about it, now.

I'm just going to rant a bit here..

What gets on my nerves, as an American, is just that I know Dick Cheney would not have allowed any of this to happen -- in the first place. As much as people hate him, and the Bush team, the fact remains that neocons would have been all over this Russia problem like white on rice and it never would have become a problem.

We've had a real mess over here lately, under Obama. They can't even keep their twitter accounts from getting hacked. Hacks on JP Morgan, hacks on store chains like Target and our cc numbers getting stolen. Hacks on the whitehouse website. A hack on the us weather system and satellite data had to get taken offline, and all the climate change scientists were complaining about that.

Well people, you cannot study climate change if foreign adversaries have hacked everything now can you!

I just do not like to see all this, this is not the world I grew up in, I am used to a Ronald Reagan or a Bush just handling this sh*t and it not being something people have to worry about or think about or have "contingencies" for.

You prevent the problem, before it becomes a problem. It's called deterrence. You have to be a tough guy in a world of tough guys -- the world's a rough place and they are not all western democracies. It's gang land, Lockup Raw, it's like prison -- the weak get rolled over, the ones that survive get respect. This is just how it is, people, you don't have to become a bully to stand up to bullies but you must be strong or they will come after you.

I just don't like seeing all this lately, all this pushing on us here in the US, and government doesn't do anything about it. We can't even control the mexican border. At least the Bush admins used to send ATF and some military down there to stay on top of the cartels -- has that even been done in the obama admin? I never hear about it, seems like all they do is keep the border wide open, and mexico has become a massive huge mess in the obama years.

I'm still a reigstered democrat, but other than the obamacare -- that I personally don't even need, but ok -- they've gotten every national security issue very wrong and screwed it all up just like Jimmy Carter used to. They've done well on anti-terrorism, but that's it, now we've got a Vladimir Putin annexing and hybrid warring, we've got a China doing whatever they want to do, we've got ISIS chasing after us too.

It's all a big mess, neocons would have handled all this already, by now. You can't say neocons made this mess either, because we've had "lead from behind" "do nothing" Obama for almost 8 years now and look at all that's happened.

Maybe everyone hates a Dick Cheney, but all hot air and BS aside I really do firmly believe that a Dick Cheney could protect Lithuania. And these cyberattacks would have gotten on top of, by now. And honestly, Crimea never would have even happened in the first place.

I do not know why liberals cannot do the job, I actually do want domestic policy too, but liberals just can't seem to do both. On these natl security things, in a dangerous world, you really do need a Ronald Reagan or a Margaret Thatcher, or one of the Bush's (I don't know about Jeb yet), or a Dick Cheney.

Hate Dick Cheney all you want to, but that man was on top of national security. We don't want war with Russia, we want to PREVENT war with Russia. You do that by getting your troops into a "crimea" before THEY can. And then THEY can be the ones saying "what can we do, we're stuck, they got their troops in there before we did."

Now that is something we cannot let happen with a Lithuania, we can't let Russians get there first, it's a NATO state for goodness sake. You cannot let the hybrid war "little green men" thing even get started there.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 16 Jan 2015, 19:13:22

Some more Lithuania news:

Lithuania is on the euro, now:

Lithuania switched to euro as national currency
http://itar-tass.com/en/economy/771546

Russian harassment of Lithuanians:

Going after Tomas

Russia wants to prosecute soldiers who quit the Soviet army when their country quit the Soviet Union
http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21638345-russia-wants-prosecute-former-deserters-army-country-no-longer-exists-going-after

Lithuania Begins Trial of Two Alleged Spies With Suspected Links to Russia
http://www.newsweek.com/lithuania-begins-trial-two-alleged-spies-suspected-links-russia-300009

And, something from the RT comments section that just has me laughing:

Lithuania is a most embarrassing little region. Like an ugly floozy who keeps thrusting herself an a disinterested party who continues pushing her aside. Lithuania continues to belch "Don't touch me you savage defiler. You want me, I know you do."
http://rt.com/news/222995-lithuania-invasion-survival-manual/

That's funny as heck, and I don't know anything about Lithuania other than what it looks like on youtube and it looks like a normal place to me. You could show me a Russia video and a Lithuania video and a Ukraine video, and I cannot tell the difference. And there are some memes of redneck "only in Russia" jokes where if you didn't know better it could be a pic from Alabama.

I'll say this -- Russia's attitude of superiority with its neighbors, is part of what pisses them off so much, along with these places having a very long memory for things that happened in the past under the USSR. And if a Putin starts doing similar things, then they get (understandably) nervous about it.

All through its crises with its neighbors, Russia sure doesn't use much honey, it's always vinegar. Things like trying to extradite and put in jail Lithuanians that deserted the red army under the USSR! Good grief! That does not win any hearts and minds, for goodness sake.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion