Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Blizzard of 2015

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Blizzard of 2015

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sun 25 Jan 2015, 23:40:14

Post your snowmageddon survival, global warming, or it's Bushbama's fault stories here.

As for me, I had a bunch of stuff planned this week. Now I'm looking at shoveling 3 feet of snow off of at least my driveway and potentially my roof according to the latest forecasts. We'll see, maybe it's another chance to use the word bombogenesis and my camping equipment or maybe the weathermen of doom blow it. The wife says I can't send people out in a blizzard to do work, including myself, so I hope the internet connection lasts along with the electricity. Besides that not a #$&@ will be given regarding this typical Noreaster. Stay safe everyone.

Edit: here's a cool map: http://www.nj.com/weather-guy/index.ssf/2015/01/30_inches_monster_noreaster_could_cripple_nj_with.html#incart_related_stories

Predicting 28.8 inches for my area, the lower map is interactive.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: The Blizzard of 2015

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 26 Jan 2015, 06:10:12

I will be shocked if this is half as bad as the doomcasters are calling for. Around here we call one of the weather forecaster 'Blizzard Bill' because he always predicts snowmaggedon when the forecast is for over an inch. 85% of the time we fall right in the range put out by the National Weather Service, not the extreme headlines put out by local broadcast forecasters.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PeakOiler » Mon 26 Jan 2015, 06:28:51

Meanwhile, I sat out on my deck yesterday and got a slight sunburn when temperatures climbed into the high 60s. I even turned off the house heat and opened the doors to let fresh air in.

Forecast calls for highs in the 70s the next three days.

I don't like freezing weather at all. :P

Stay safe up there, y'all.
Last edited by PeakOiler on Mon 26 Jan 2015, 06:39:36, edited 2 times in total.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Mon 26 Jan 2015, 06:29:14

We have a mere centimetre or two of snow in this corner of Euro-weenie land.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 26 Jan 2015, 07:36:37

I'm expecting to get about a foot which is no big deal here. I will do some tinkering on my plow today to make it set to go and do a beer and fuel run to be sure I can keep the generator on if the lines go down. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:15:34

Right now it's the tiny dry light snowflakes. In a few hours it will be the big wet heavy snowflakes. Those are the troublemakers.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 26 Jan 2015, 15:15:31

PeakOiler wrote:Meanwhile, I sat out on my deck yesterday and got a slight sunburn when temperatures climbed into the high 60s. I even turned off the house heat and opened the doors to let fresh air in.

Forecast calls for highs in the 70s the next three days.

I don't like freezing weather at all. :P

Stay safe up there, y'all.
17C 63F in Calgary yesterday.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 26 Jan 2015, 21:15:25

basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 27 Jan 2015, 00:07:04

Is it officially a nor'easter yet?

I recall one in 1994 that brought moisture off the ocean as far inland as Ohio. Just east of Pittsburgh they had literally 3' of almost slush. It was impossible to walk through. Barns collapsed.

Although nor'easters can occur any time of year, they are most frequent from September to April. In the winter months, a nor'easter can be especially dangerous. It draws cold air from the Arctic air mass, which then collides with warm air from the oceanic Gulf Stream that acts as fuel for the nor'easter. This difference in temperatures turns a nor'easter from an inconvenience into a dangerous storm that introduces frigid temperatures, coastal flooding, hurricane-force winds, blizzard conditions and occasional tornadoes into one of the nation's most populated areas [source: NOAA].
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Tue 27 Jan 2015, 08:52:03

With winds from the northeast, it is without a doubt a noreaster; this ain't a Republican thing, Preston.;-)

Overnight, over a foot of powder was deposited. Radar checks reveal I'm beneath the giant band parked over New England like a standing wave of snow.

As long as it stays powder, there won't be many problems.
If it snows all day today, then this is just like the Blizzard of 1978, of which I had many fond childhood memories.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Tue 27 Jan 2015, 11:44:01

Well I thought the snow had just drifted high against the walk-in basement door, but it really is about 2 feet deep and winding down. Notable, but not historical to me; mostly because the state was shut down and everyone is home so the highways won't be littered with stuck cars. Also, the snow is light and fluffy so no roof collapses should occur. Driveway is plowed, I'm sure the highway is, now I need the town to finish the local roads so I can reach the highway. This is essentially the only town service I require so as far as I'm concerned all my taxes go to snow plowing!

Sounds like NY got less than expected, we'll see how Boston fares.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 29 Jan 2015, 02:28:42

I ended up with less then six inches but with some drifting up on the hill. It took less then an hour to plow everything out. Friends down around Boston got a lot more.
It is heading for somewhere south of zero this morning and you can hear the trees pop. The real "Dead of Winter" is here.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby basil_hayden » Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:33:57

It all depended on where you were as to whether this was theeee blizzard of 2015. NYC, not so much.

Eastern Long Island, Eastern CT, RI, Eastern MA, NH, ME - Ayup - Blizzard. Can't get there from here.

I heard wicked cold, then a ice storm possibility Sunday night. Ought to be interesting.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby furrybill » Thu 29 Jan 2015, 14:26:18

We had blizzard conditions all day on Tuesday here in southern Maine. By the end our town had received 23 inches and a couple towns over [more inland] got 30+. The wind was amazing and created some massive drifts - we've got piles 4-5 feet tall in some places near my house. Luckily the temperature stayed at 16F the whole time which meant light airy snow and therefore no power outages. This morning it was -2F which means the snow is still light and easy to shovel. I'll take this over 3 inches of slush any day. Get the snowshoes and sleds out! :-)
furrybill
Peat
Peat

Unread postby basil_hayden » Thu 29 Jan 2015, 15:05:49

Yup, the powder was a good thing. Wet snow brings down trees and power lines, and requires the plow truck to hit it about every 6 inches or it's there until spring. Right now the snow is good for saucer sleds; by Monday it looks like the snow will be ready for runner sleds - icy and fast!
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion