Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What are your favorite peak oil and sustainability quotes?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

What are your favorite peak oil and sustainability quotes?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 18:18:08

Mine are the following...

"In 1900 (at the turn of the 20th century), what you see as oil became ubiquitous, population goes up in a vertical growth trajectory. We are at 6.5 billion people. We might be at 7 billion people by the time anyone sees this interview. All of these people exist on this planet only because of oil. That's it. So it is axiomatic that if you take the oil away, the population must also go away. In all of science, in all of biology, there is no case where any population (be it bacteria in a petri dish or caribou on an Arctic island) encounters favorable circumstances and goes on a vertical growth trajectory without an immediate crash down. It is a law. It is a law as fundamental as gravity. It is a law as fundamental as thermodynamics. And if one thinks of it, it might also be true of the stock exchange or financial markets which up like this (in a vertical line) and then go down like this. It is the history of every bubble"

by Michael Ruppert in the Collapse movie (2009)

"There is nothing in anywhere, in any combination, that can replace the edifice built by fossil fuels. Nothing".

by Michael Ruppert in the Collapse movie (2009)

"I do not believe we can sustain the current population of the globe, much less the population in 20 or 30 years, without the use of petrochemicals"

by David Goodstein in A Crude Awakening: The Oilcrash movie (2006)

"The problem we are facing is that there are too many people using up too much stuff, too quickly, and in an economy that only knows how to grow"

by Richard Heinberg

"What we should focus on is reducing per capita consumption of resources. Also, we should gradually decrease human population by the most humane means we can muster. This is very difficult to do because the right to reproduce is a sacred right in the eyes of most people. Especially to the religious right winged. But this has to be done. There is no other way."

by Richard Heinberg

I probably have several other favorite quotes from peak oil and sustainability advocates, but these are the few I can think of right now. I would like you guys to gather the best quotes from peak oil and sustainability activists.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: What are your favorite peak oil and sustainability quote

Unread postby Pops » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 18:34:53

Don't fear Peak Oil... fear your neighbors' reaction to it.

--Aaron, Admin Emeritus & 800 lb Gorilla, PO.com
wi-state-journal-bashes-po-t26549.html?hilit=don't%20fear#p411758

and these
v
v
v
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 18:47:33

Pops wrote:
Don't fear Peak Oil... fear your neighbors' reaction to it.

--Aaron, Admin Emeritus & 800 lb Gorilla, PO.com
wi-state-journal-bashes-po-t26549.html?hilit=don't%20fear#p411758

and these
v
v
v

That is assuming your neighbors are totally unprepared for peak oil, and still rely on the grocery store for food when the grocery store shelves go empty. Eventually the grocery store shelves will go empty because there will not be enough petroleum to power the trucks to make deliveries to the grocery store. When that happens, you better be growing your own food to survive.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Poordogabone » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 18:50:07

Not necessary my favorite but a pretty funny one
My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel

Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum (1912 – 1990)
Poordogabone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 19:40:55

DesuMaiden wrote:That is assuming your neighbors are totally unprepared for peak oil,

Ahhh, so that's what he was talking about.

LOL

Here is one via EB from you know what movie ...
Max: So, what's the plan?
Pigkiller: [laughing] PLAN? There ain't no plan!

post120712.html?hilit=quotes#p120712

And from Laharrere, probably the most relevant PO quote ever ignored:
the number of significant digits should be in line with accuracy of the estimate

http://www.hubbertpeak.com/laherrere/castilla200704.pdf
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 19:53:25

"There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed."
Mahatma Gandhi

"From the first day to this, sheer greed was the driving spirit of civilisation."
Friedrich Engels

There is no time in modern agriculture for a farmer to write a poem or compose a song.
Masanobu Fukuoka
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 20:15:44

Pops wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:That is assuming your neighbors are totally unprepared for peak oil,

Ahhh, so that's what he was talking about.

LOL

Here is one via EB from you know what movie ...
Max: So, what's the plan?
Pigkiller: [laughing] PLAN? There ain't no plan!

post120712.html?hilit=quotes#p120712

And from Laharrere, probably the most relevant PO quote ever ignored:
the number of significant digits should be in line with accuracy of the estimate

http://www.hubbertpeak.com/laherrere/castilla200704.pdf

This is another quote from Michael Ruppert's Collapse movie.

"No amount of human ingenuity or technology can possibly overturn the laws of nature. The laws that govern this planet. I think the greatest arrogance of mankind is his belief that he can somehow overturn the laws of nature and become god"
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak Oil Discussion